Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mental, Mood changing effects of Primal Diet. What have you noticed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mental, Mood changing effects of Primal Diet. What have you noticed?

Have you noticed any mood changing properties after going on the primal diet?

Has it significantly helped with anxiety, depression, ADHD, concentration or memory? More positive feelings of well-being, energy, etc?
    An evolutionary psychologist takes a look at the psychology of ancestral living, and how to make our minds fit, healthy, and happy in the modern age.

www.thetribalway.com

I think I am more even tempered. I used to get pretty cranky when I had low blood sugar.

Comment

Please don't feel you need to post only if you have noticed mood changes, if you haven't noticed any please feel free to say so. It's ok, there are other benefits to Primal than mental changes.
      An evolutionary psychologist takes a look at the psychology of ancestral living, and how to make our minds fit, healthy, and happy in the modern age.

www.thetribalway.com

Comment

I am notably more easygoing and less stressed out. I think part of this was maturity/life circumstances, but I wouldn't be surprised if nutrition was also a factor. I now understand that lack of animal products in the diet negatively affects our ability to produce seratonin.
        Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Hello again. When I get out and do my hill-sprints and fitness in the woods I feel very alive. It seems to satisfy the need for a particular psychological and physiological experience. Basketball is comparable due to the coalition psychology and battle emulation of it but there's just something about a lot of trees below an open sky that I need to experience often.

With regards to diet I feel better so naturally my mood is better all of the time. I'm less prone to anger the more I progress in health the better it gets. Good emotions are somewhat more pronounced. Stress seems to be the more stimulating kind, even if the situation is more confrontational. Self-confidence is up too.

What I have noticed is that when I switched to a DHA dominant fish oil supplement and started eating more brains my mental capacity and mood improved compared to the generic fish oil which provide more EPA than DHA. This seems counter-intuitive because EPA is touted as mood-improving but I think that the fallacy lies in assuming that because DHA without EPA doesn't improve mood then EPA is the mood omega 3 fatty acid and should be emphasized in people with mood disorders. But I think that while a little EPA, likely the amount found in animal brains is necessary and a good thing, too much can block the effects of arachidonic acid action and be a detriment. Though I think some of the benefits might be in phospholipids in brains, the EPA issue is very real.
          Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Overall, I have noticed more energy, and I have definitely felt the adverse effects of "going off plan" more acutely now that certain foods are no longer a staple in my diet. I think going primal actually helped me muster the courage to face what I now know to be a lifelong struggle with ADD, because I was able to notice which foods and behaviors (lack of sleep, not enough movement, stress, etc) were more likely to elevate my ADD symptoms.

Even with my primal diet and renewed approach to fitness, I did decide with my doctor's help (a doctor I really trust) to try a combination of ADD medication, vitamin D and Omega 3's to help stabilize my brain function. My biggest struggle prior to going on the medication (5mg Adderall 3x/day) was a constant, gnawing anxiety--what I would equate to having about a hundred little children all needing me at once. That anxiety has notably diminished with the medication, and oddly enough, being on the medication makes me even MORE sensitive to the presence of non-primal foods, especially sugar and wheat.

Also I have way less joint pain on the primal diet. Which is good, since my mom has debilitating osteoarthritis and gout at age 68!
            Mermaid

Comment

I've been on again and off again in the midst of pretty significant life stresses, which I suppose makes me my own control.

I have been eating primal again for about one week, and I have added Mark's Damage Control and Primal Calm to my regimen of fish oil, Vit. D and magnesium.

I have had the first good night's sleep in ages, and I've gone from a quivering, jittery, weepy bundles of nerves to something almost like well-being. I've had really profound fatigue, and I've done more things in the past two days than I have in the past 2 months. I feel hopeful and far less helpless and worn out.

I guess you could say my anxiety is reduced, my resilience increased, my sleep improved, my rapacious appetite under control.....it's all good.

PWG

Comment

Originally posted by EvolutionaryPsychologist View Post
                Have you noticed any mood changing properties after going on the primal diet?
                Absolutely.

Has it significantly helped with anxiety, depression,
                Excellent blood glucose stability, zinc, optimal Ω3:Ω6 ratios and vitamin D have been effective anxiety and depression treatments for me. So yes, primal has been helpful, but I really still do have to watch the details of it in a way that not everyone does.

Note: while adapting to no grains/no sugar, I had a great deal of trouble sleeping and anxiety was much much worse. Then everything evened out, I became ketoadapted (even though primal isn't necessarily a ketogenic diet)

ADHD, concentration or memory?
                No, except where low blood sugar affected concentration. I take stimulant meds for ADHD and that of course has a *huge* documented affect on concentration and working memory.

More positive feelings of well-being, energy, etc?
                Yes.

Have you seen Emily Dean's blog?
                http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/

You'll love it. Magnesium. Zinc. "Your brain on ketones" Allllll kinds of good stuff.

katherine

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I've been at this a little over three months and the overall feeling I have is that I've evened out emotionally. I feel more relaxed, confident and in control because I'm not constantly fighting with myself over cravings and I'm no longer on the blood sugar roller coaster. I used to stress eat too which in turn caused me more stress. Living primal has helped me manage my stress in healthier ways. Now when I feel antsy, I walk instead of reaching for something sugary or carby. Food is fuel and nourishment now, rather than a distraction and crutch and that change of view has made a huge difference.

Comment

No change that I can detect. I have had emotional issues in the past. Mostly mellowed out. I am feeling what seems like a bit of seasonal affective disorder.
                    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

My mood is more consistent, and it's more on the positive end of mood.
                      I have scattered moments of inexplicable high energy bordering on euphoria....I just feel more alive.
                      I also seem to be more aware of my mood from moment to moment. On a grainy diet, I often acted on a bad mood before I even realized I was in one, and sometimes the first I would know would be my family letting me know that I wasn't being particularly fun to live with that day.
                      Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
                      Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post
                        What I have noticed is that when I switched to a DHA dominant fish oil supplement and started eating more brains my mental capacity and mood improved compared to the generic fish oil which provide more EPA than DHA. This seems counter-intuitive because EPA is touted as mood-improving but I think that the fallacy lies in assuming that because DHA without EPA doesn't improve mood then EPA is the mood omega 3 fatty acid and should be emphasized in people with mood disorders. But I think that while a little EPA, likely the amount found in animal brains is necessary and a good thing, too much can block the effects of arachidonic acid action and be a detriment. Though I think some of the benefits might be in phospholipids in brains, the EPA issue is very real.
                        +1 on all of it. When I first began to treat anxiety and depression (mine) using a protocol modeled after Andrew Stoll's from his landmark bipolar study, it was phenominally effective. I was using 16g fish oil yeilding 9.5g total Ω3 - half DHA, half EPA. At some point, I switched to 'regular' fish oil.

Over time, I was never able to achieve the same elevated mood as I did initially. I successfully kept depression at bay - and most anixety - but it wasn't as good as it had been. Fast forward 6 or 7 years. This summer I switched back to 'more' DHA. Of course there were confounding variables (ditching grains, sugar, super cool personal stuff) but my mood was excellent. Like couldn't be any better.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Masterjohn is absolutely right. He should be future president of WAPF. I have always had eczema and even after I got my diet in order I still had some and kind of dull skin. I was taking a lot of 300EPA 200 DHA fish oil, eating omega 3 eggs that are more EPA than DHA and eating some fish and I couldn't understand why my skin health wouldn't improve and wounds were slow to heal. If EPA blocks the AA derived eicosanoids and the AA ones are essential for skin health, we are preventing them from doing their job with all of that generic fish oil ethyl ester. Now things are much better

Never again will I choke down gross fish that I don't like. The fats cold water fish are good but not optimal. Brains....ummm I might just have to learn to deal with. The novelty ran out fast. Maybe if I butter them up. There's the paleo axiom working again. We are still very much warm weather animals who can adapt to colder environments with difference fat compositions but we are likely our healthiest eating what we have adapted to. I can't see any adaptation to highly EPA intake. It's not like it's complete death and doom, just sub-optimal and not so important to natural selection.
                          Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

I am much calmer and less nervous, which allows me to think more clearly. This became obvious the second day. It's a nice feeling. I've attributed it to not eating sugar, but after reading some of the above posts, I guess there are other factors at work too.

I did the Eades diet about 10 years ago and had noticed the same thing.

Comment

OK fish oil folks, what ratio of DHA to EPA do you all feel is the best/what we've adapted to evolution-wise? And any recs for products? I do NOW DHA 500, but am wondering if I should be doing more = levels of DHA to EPA (NOW 500 is 500 mg DHA and 250 mg EPA).

Fascinating info!
                              My Before/After Pics
                              Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Working...
                              X