No announcement yet.

Paleo Diet Solution/Robb Wolf readers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleo Diet Solution/Robb Wolf readers?

Hi folks, I fell off of the primal wagon. Big time. I feel like a heel crawling back here after failing so miserably... I'm desperate to lose weight and get in shape.

Which is funny because my desperation came in a flood of eating just total bull shit. Guess I was eating my emotions.

This year has been a bit rough, and I think I'm still munching through a few things.

Has anyone here read the Paleo Diet Solution? Care to offer any thoughts on that vs. PB?

I bought the book but DH is reading it right now. I will let you know.

I think its great that you are back here! It is a journey you know, it is how you make it a lifestyle. Never beat yourself up for slipping, it happens. As long as you keep trying eventually you will get to where you want to be .

Comment

Very well said, Roberta. If we are to treat it as a journey we can expect twists, turns and potholes in the road. We're emotional and instinctive creatures at the core, no matter how rational we become and we should take that rationality and apply it to making sense of the emotional side. And this means acknowledging that we're not always going to be perfect in our behaviors and we just need to come to terms of it and respond accordingly.

Like yesterday I decided to celebrate my ridiculously low C-reactive protein levels by starting smoking. I honestly wasn't expecting that one. My rationalization was that I needed at least one bad habit. Dumb. right? Now I have to go through quitting smoking. If we look at these as challenges on the road, perhaps hurdles or steep hills instead of looking at them as tripping and falling the experience will be more positive and we will get back on track quicker.

durr stabby. Bad stabby! Get out of that tree and put down that knife. Hrmf.
      Last edited by Stabby; 10-09-2010, 11:47 AM.
      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the support and insight. It's just frustrating... get to trucking along alright and then get derailed. Then you wake up a month later going WTF just happened??

Stabby, I thought of you the other night- I heard something in the back yard and there was a big fat fluffy raccoon rustling around back there, he was gorgeous! And HUGE!

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post
          Very well said, Roberta. If we are to treat it as a journey we can expect twists, turns and potholes in the road. We're emotional and instinctive creatures at the core, no matter how rational we become and we should take that rationality and apply it to making sense of the emotional side. And this means acknowledging that we're not always going to be perfect in our behaviors and we just need to come to terms of it and respond accordingly.

Like yesterday I decided to celebrate my ridiculously low C-reactive protein levels by starting smoking. I honestly wasn't expecting that one. My rationalization was that I needed at least one bad habit. Dumb. right? Now I have to go through quitting smoking. If we look at these as challenges on the road, perhaps hurdles or steep hills instead of looking at them as tripping and falling the experience will be more positive and we will get back on track quicker.

First off OP, everyone falls off and in my opinion a lot of times it's a good thing! Sometimes we just need a true reset to progress towards our goals.

And Stabby I'm sure you'll quit easily but just FYI the e-cigarette has helped a lot of people I know. I still fall prey to celebratory nicotine (don't really mind it) but to each his own
          sigpic
          In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

Stabby! You're so healthy! No!

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post

quit smoking right now! no, rly, quit. trust me, that's not the bad habit to have. stripping on corners is a better bad habit
              beautiful
              yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
              lol

Comment

Just finished the book, it's really good. Personally I thought it was better than PB because it was more technical which would be a negative for some people who don't understand biology. The diet/exercise are very similar but the PS does recommend no dairy where as the PB allows it in moderation.

Comment

I recommend the book. I posted on the other thread about this book that it is very informative and scientific in a "let's make this stuff easy" sort of way. I think I said it was like a 'physics for poets' college course---all the information without becoming inundated in scientific jargon. Really gets into the body's chemistry without being 'scarey'. To paraphrase a deodorant commercial, "Good enough for a serious reader, but made for a wanna be bio-chemist".

The exercise plan is lightweight but I think it will work for starters. The thirty day menu and cookbook has great meals, just not my meals. The many references and sources is a boon.

Again, I think it is a great book.

Stabby: Put the cigarettes down! There is only one good kind of smoking. That is when you look into a mirror and wonder where 'you' are. That new look is SMOKIN' .
                  Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Yes yes, thank you everyone I do not intend to start smoking.

There is an example of why the community can help. Some of us are going to go off track from time to time, sometimes in very weird ways, and it helps if there are others there to kick our asses about it.

Comment

Good. By the way stabby, I've been meaning to ask you where you got all your info from? obviously blogs and books, but where else?
                      I'm always jealous of your nutrition knowledge. I know quite a bit now, but I am always looking to learn more. And yes I am a nerd, so those are the type of things I am jealous of.

Comment

Erm well yes books, blogs, pubmed and online nutrition resources like LPI or sites to find nutrition facts. WAPF is good for the most part, Eades' books, supposedly Robb Wolf's book, certainly his podcasts. Ray Peat if you are super skeptical. Erm, just resources and a willingness to learn a lot of new words. Metabolic typers like William Wolcott, Paul Chek, Mercola, Sean Croxton's radio show, Josh Rubin's radio show, blog and youtube channel. Erm erm. Yup. If it is a good source of info bookmark it and check it often.

But really the bread and butter should come from pubmed directly from the source. I bookmark articles of interest too.
                        Last edited by Stabby; 10-09-2010, 08:15 PM.

Comment

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tion+robb+wolf

You may find some helpful input in this thread on the book.

And I agree w/ others. Just get back to it as best as you can. I LOVE the 80/20 aspect of PB. There is a lot of perfectionism attached to various diets which makes them feel near impossible to stick to. I think the idea of 80/20 makes this more attainable--not something you must give up if you go off track--going 'off track' is kind of built into the plan as something that will most likely happen on occasion.

ETA: And I personally have never stuck to a 'diet'/way of eating more than I've stuck to the PB, and I do feel the 80/20 idea is part of this. I almost never feel like I'm 'cheating', even if I'm not eating strictly primal foods. And what counts as my 20% just gets more and more 'primal' as time goes on...

Good luck getting back into it! And I really really like the Paleo Solution book--would totally recommend it in addition to PB.
                          Last edited by FairyRae; 10-09-2010, 09:38 PM.
                          My Before/After Pics
                          Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

If you want to get a taste of the book before buying have a listen to one of his podcasts! http://robbwolf.com/category/podcasts/

It's a question and answer format but he has loads of info to pick up...if you have an iPod there is also an app if you search for Paleo Solution...it costs a couple dollars from memory but you can access all the podcasts instead of just the most recent ones on iTunes.

As for falling off the wagon...don't beat yourself up over it...it takes time to change old habits that have developed over a life time...it will take time to develope new, more healthful habits. It's relatively easy to fall off but also pretty easy to jump back on I've found...good luck and I'm sure you will get there in the end!!

Comment

I read Paleo Solution this week. Just ok. After having read the Eades' books, GCBC, PB, and many blogs, I don't feel that Paleo Solution gave me any info that I didn't already know. Except for the margarita recipe- that I'm gonna try.
                              Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
                              ~Borges

Comment

Working...
                              X