Iodine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iodine

How much iodine do people here supplement with?
    What form? (Iodine/kelp; potassium iodide; etc)

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the RDA of 150 micrograms is nowhere near enough, but that due to the immune response of crap diet, any more than that is bad for the thyroid. Someone will be able to phrase it better than that I'm sure!

If your diet is as good as someone who follows PB rules, would you need to supplement more?

Why would you supplement if you use iodized salt?

My understanding is that iodine deficiency vanished in the U.S. in the 20th century because of the addition of iodine to foods, especially salt. It seems to me that if you're not eating processed foods (which I avoid), then iodized salt would be recommended.

I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and any supplemental iodine is bad for me, so I think people should be cautious about supplementing with iodine (or anything) unless they know for sure that they have a need.

Comment

Salt isn't fortified in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by emmie View Post
        It seems to me that if you're not eating processed foods (which I avoid), then iodized salt would be recommended.
        I've been wondering about iodine myself. I've been eating whole foods for over a year and occasionally use a little sea salt (which is not iodized) and wonder if I should be adding some in.
        312/149/150

Comment

The kind of iodine in iodized salt isn't the best absorbed kind and iodine deficiency is pretty widespread (at least in the US where it's not in our topsoil).The Japanse consume and average of around 12 mg (as in 12,000 mcg) iodine/day due to their seafood/seaweed consumption.

I had an iodine challenge/excretion test a few years ago and was put on Iodoral (the pill form of Lugol's) but I haven't taken it in a long time (and I'm awaiting results of some thyroid antibody tests- like Emmie said, iodine is a no-no if someone has Hashimoto's!)
          http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

I take in 220 mg every two days from a supplement or if I'm ever feeling a little sick (along with Vit. C/Vit D/glutamine). It's more of a precaution than anything I guess.
            sigpic
            In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

I take it that this thread is a replacement for the monster Iodine thread that was closed 7/31?

Comment

Originally posted by Dextery View Post
                I take it that this thread is a replacement for the monster Iodine thread that was closed 7/31?
                Oh no, Iodine...

This one was made at least a year before the gigantic iodine thread according to the timestamps, but it's bumped now.

Here was the other discussion...
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread63393.html

Comment

i supplement potassium iodine with one tablet every day and also add some himalayan sea salt to food.

it is really hard to get iodine in the uk, particularly if you eat clean foods.

it has been a good experience for me.
                  2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

Comment

Hi

I take a sea kelp tablet daily for the same reason ... but not sure how effective it is?

Comment

How Eric cured his "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" with iodine -
                      Also see his accurate body temp chart.

My body temperatures were low for at least 12 years when my CFS reached crisis stage and I started seeing doctors. After a few months of Iodine titration they are now normal!

Just wanted to share the good news for those of you debating or wondering whether to push on through startup reactions.

I was tracking my temperatures three times a day and graphing them so I have a pretty picture to show:

Warm regards,
                      Eric
                      Charting my temperatures – accurately this time
                      I've added this to our Testimonials here:
                      http://tinyurl.com/iodine-testimonials

Also see:
                      Main Iodine References File - http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references
                      CureZone Iodine Discussion Group - Iodine Supplementation Support Forum by VWT Team, Page 587, Vulcanel, Wombat & Trapper/kcmo:
                      Facebook Iodine Discussion Group - https://www.facebook.com/IodoneForum

Dr. Brownstein Iodine Protocols:
                      http://tinyurl.com/Iodine-Handout

PS) This testimonial just came in - about deadly allergies to cats cured by iodine:
                      http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=2095964#i

Does anyone else have a Testimonial they would like to share?
                      Grizz
                      Last edited by Grizz; 08-19-2013, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Kelp : 330-400 mcg most days. I don't use table salt much at all. My throat started bothering me a while after heading down the Paleo/Primal path. Dr. said I took a good amount of iodine out of my diet(enriched grains and milk). Upped iodine, problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by chronyx View Post
                          How much iodine do people here supplement with?
                          What form? (Iodine/kelp; potassium iodide; etc)

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the RDA of 150 micrograms is nowhere near enough, but that due to the immune response of crap diet, any more than that is bad for the thyroid. Someone will be able to phrase it better than that I'm sure!

If your diet is as good as someone who follows PB rules, would you need to supplement more?
                          Detoxadine 3 Drops A Day
                          My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
                          Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

Comment

New Book on Iodine by Lynne Farrow:

41ZrJUypCSL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The Iodine Crisis explains how we became so deficient, then shows the time-tested solution to reversing many serious health conditions, with fascinating history of iodine & testimonials.

Book Description ( THE Must Have Book for Every Family - Grizz )
                            Thanks to environmental pollutants Iodine deficiency has become a worldwide epidemic. Everybody knows pollutants cause cancer. What they don't know is that these pollutants cause a deficiency that can make us sick, fat and stupid. Iodized salt--supposedly a solution to iodine deficiency-- is actually a nutritional scam which provides a false sense of security. The Iodine Crisis explains how we became so deficient, then shows the time-tested solution to reversing many conditions. Lynne Farrow reveals how she and thousands of other patient-activists changed their lives by researching and using iodine. Frequently Asked Questions cover everything you need to know about iodine. The proof of iodine's benefit is demonstrated by the dramatic case studies shared in this book.
                            My Review - Grizz
                            Lynne describes how Iodine Deficiency is a worldwide epidemic that contributes to the following diseases and their cures:
                            * Fibrocystic Breast Disease & related cancers
                            * Polycystic Ovary Syndrome & related cancers
                            * Uterus fibroids, cysts, endometriosis & related cancers
                            * Thyroid problems
                            * Brain Fog, feeling stupid
                            * Headaches
                            * Prostate problems
                            * Hormonal imbalance
                            Her testimonials detail many other conditions caused by iodine deficiency, and cured by iodine,
                            She presents a fascinating history of iodine to cure health problems going back 15,000 years. Her book is fun to read. She details how her own life was wrecked by iodine deficiency, including fibrocystic breast disease with resulting breast cancer, hypothyroid, brain fog, feeling FAT & stupid and more, all cleared up after starting the Dr. Brownstein Iodine Protocol. She details many doctor's research into iodine and who stole iodine from us. This book is a MUST HAVE for every family and especially important for the women in your life, since women need far more iodine than men do for their female organs.

I will be available for a while to answer questions on iodine,
                            Grizz
                            Last edited by Grizz; 08-19-2013, 12:22 PM.

Comment

So if we have a little too much iodine than the recommended amount, can/will our bodies get rid of it safely or will it become toxic ?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Working...
                              X