No announcement yet.

Iodine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get 100mcg in my vitamin supplement (one of Mark's, Advanced Health Formula), and add kelp (kombu) to soups and such. We use sea salt, not iodized salt.

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
      This is one of those health subjects that perplex me. It seems like if you have too much suddenly, you're boned. Too little suddenly, and you are also boned. Yet nothing seems to give you warning enough to back away from the edge. How does a human stay balanced, then?

M.
      Iodine is a bio-accumulative. The parts of the body that need it, particularly the thyroid, grab onto it and hold it in the body until it is needed. This is a lot like the heavy metals like mercury that are extremely tough to "detox" from your system. Because your body holds onto it until it is needed, the occasional megadose of iodine is rarely a problem. It is when you megadose all day, every day that you have issues. Your body can't get rid of the excess iodine fast enough so it sends the thyroid into overdrive, I suspect, to help use up the excess iodine quicker which can lead to damage over the long term.

I think the FDA's "recommended daily allowance" for iodine is a quack. That paints the picture that we need to get a certain amount of iodine daily. But we don't "flush out" iodine on a daily basis like we do with most vitamins and many of the electrolyte minerals that we need to replenish on a daily basis. Just get some seaweed in your diet once or twice a week, a few eggs too, you should be solid.
      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post
        You guys are all idiots. Iodine will leak minerals from the bones if you consume too much. If you go backpacking, you often take iodine tablets to cleanse water. It's well known that drinking this water for too long is really bad for the body.

Don't believe the pseudoscience out there.
        I love how you lump us all into the same category as Grizz here even though he's been doing his own thing on this forum here for God knows how long now.
        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
          I love how you lump us all into the same category as Grizz here even though he's been doing his own thing on this forum here for God knows how long now.
          Judging by your last post, I don't put you in that group. Anyone who supplements iodine regularly (or arguably at all), though, is.

Comment

You guys are all idiots. Iodine will leak minerals from the bones if you consume too much. If you go backpacking, you often take iodine tablets to cleanse water. It's well known that drinking this water for too long is really bad for the body.

I think most of us today were disagreeing with Grizz, so how does that make us idiots? I don't believe in taking large doses of anything and prefer to get what I need from food.

Comment

Judging by your last post, I don't put you in that group. Anyone who supplements iodine regularly (or arguably at all), though, is.
              I have a bottle of good kelp extract for weeks where I don't get any seaweed. But I take maybe one pill on those weeks. So that bottle's going to last me a LOOOOOOONG time.

Comment

Mightymouse (think that was username) just had a very poor reaction to doing the iodine bit. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread91665.html

Its definitely not all roses and good feelings. Personally I just order a seaweed salad with sushi and eat seafood a couple times a week.
                Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-19-2013, 06:55 PM.

Comment

I have a bottle of good kelp extract for weeks where I don't get any seaweed. But I take maybe one pill on those weeks. So that bottle's going to last me a LOOOOOOONG time.
                  Why do you think it's necessary?

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                    yeah i've told grizz before i supp with iodine and i still have pcos

seems he didn't believe me, he's still adding pcos to the list of maladies cured
                    Bloodorchid,

I believe you. There are people who simply don't respond to iodine. They can't get iodine into their cells, and the toxins won't come out. Since last year when we discussed your problem this subject has come up: See this site:
                    You could have a possible iodine absorption defect. If a patient has a normal or high Loading Test score in the
                    presence of known iodine deficiency condition such as breast or thyroid disease, a defect in the
                    Sodium Iodide Symporter (NIS) mechanism is suspected. The iodine taken during the loading
                    test may pass into the urine unabsorbed giving a false normal reading. Follow your physician's
                    iodine dosing carefully to see how the iodine test result changes.
                    Iodine Therapy Guidelines
                    PCOS is a known iodine deficiency symptom and this could be the reason why you didn't respond.

See your iodine doctor. Here is a listing of trained iodine doctors:
                    Iodine Literate Practitoners Directory

Here is more on the Sodium Iodide Symporter (NIS) mechanism:
                    Symporter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium-iodide_symporter
                    thyroid_NIS_symporter

Here is where to get this special iodine testing:
                    Hakala Research - Home

There is another reason why you may not be absorbing iodine. Your urine pH could be well into the acidic area. If your pH is below 6.0 then your body has a hard time absorbing minerals. Most Americans test down toward a 5.0 pH which is 100 times too acidic (Acidosis). Do your urine pH test to see where you are. It should be near 7.0. Use this list to boost your pH if you are acidic
                    Top 12 Ways to Make your Body More Alkaline | Icon Performance Online v3

So you do have options, the rest is up to you and your iodine doctor,
                    Grizz
                    Last edited by Grizz; 08-19-2013, 08:11 PM.

Comment

and you're a dink, but i still like you
                      beautiful
                      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                      lol

Comment

Why do you think it's necessary?
                        I definitely notice it on weeks I don't get SOME seaweed in me. Popping the pill works if I don't get it another way. I do suspect some people need a LITTLE (keyword little, it's not a giant difference) more iodine than others. Due to the way their individual metabolism functions I suppose.

I do think that temporarily mega-dosing iodine can be seriously useful for people who have been deficient in it for a while, and Grizz is right to point out that this number is on the rise. It's his constant harping on long-term, daily, use of mega-dose iodine that I think is not only unwise, but possibly quite dangerous. As I pointed out, iodine is a bio accumulative, so the occasional manga-dose should be no issue for most people. You can, theoretically, satisfy all of your iodine requirements for say, an entire week with one good sushi binge and not really do much harm. But even the chronically deficient will eventually normalize and at that point should stop the high dosage. Nobody should think of it as a long-term therapy like, say taking an adaptogenic herb might be.

Comment

Are there any more questions regarding the Dr. Brownstein Iodine Protocol?

I highly recommend reading this book:
                          The Iodine Crisis: What You Don't Know About Iodine Can Wreck Your Life
                          The Iodine Crisis: What You Don't Know About Iodine Can Wreck Your Life: Lynne Farrow, David Brownstein MD: 9780986032004: Amazon.com: Books

This book will answer more questions than I can.

If anyone is skeptical, start reading through our testimonials:
                          Many are from right here at Marks Daily Apple:
                          http://tinyurl.com/iodine-testimonials

However this one is from friends in my own neighborhood:
                          A dear friend of mine has been getting me in the know and I believe it is changing the lives of those around me! I started a friend that was diagnosed with a death sentence of cancer on the Iodine Therapy that is described in this book and she has now been given "no cancer" diagnosis. We went into it with "what do I have to loose?" and now, "wow, did it get rid of the cancer?" What do any of us have to loose trying to go to natural remedies?

She had started out with cancer of the uterus in 2000 and then it returned all over her in 2002 she was told it couldn't go in remission but did! Then almost 3 years ago it returned in a tumor that closed off her urine flow so she had to have a cath at all times. We started the iodine therapy one year ago, and within two months her urine flow was going past the cath so we wondered about the cancer's progress. She had been placed on Hospice, so we had to get her off of it before any test could be done. This was finally done in February! Nothing shows up except a 4 cm "spot" on her pubic bone. The bladder scan and pap test were done with no signs of cancer!

This was what happened with her only up to 50mgs of iodine and I maintaining that.

In addition to that I might add:
                          I had been diagnosed with fibrocystic breast disease in 1986. With every Mammogram I have done, I have to return for additional test because of what they see. I started the Iodine Therapy along with my friend in June, 2012. Within two months, my lumps and soreness was gone! I remain at 12.5 mg., and I will continue taking this untill somebody shows me a reason to quit!
                          http://jackkruse.com/forum/showthrea...ll=1#post90248
                          Grizz
                          Last edited by Grizz; 08-19-2013, 08:41 PM.

Comment

I definitely notice it on weeks I don't get SOME seaweed in me. Popping the pill works if I don't get it another way. I do suspect some people need a LITTLE (keyword little, it's not a giant difference) more iodine than others. Due to the way their individual metabolism functions I suppose.

I do think that temporarily mega-dosing iodine can be seriously useful for people who have been deficient in it for a while, and Grizz is right to point out that this number is on the rise. It's his constant harping on long-term, daily, use of mega-dose iodine that I think is not only unwise, but possibly quite dangerous. As I pointed out, iodine is a bio accumulative, so the occasional manga-dose should be no issue for most people. You can, theoretically, satisfy all of your iodine requirements for say, an entire week with one good sushi binge and not really do much harm. But even the chronically deficient will eventually normalize and at that point should stop the high dosage. Nobody should think of it as a long-term therapy like, say taking an adaptogenic herb might be.
                            How did people get by before without supplements? And without living near the sea to get their seaweed?

Dairy, beef, eggs, and grain all have iodine. This is a hard one to look up because nutritiondata.self.com doesn't list it for me. I haven't found another website as organized and reliable as that one.

Want some selenium too? 250g (maybe 200g after it's cooked?) of raw beef has 100% of your daily requirement of selenium.

If you still don't believe me that you can throw away all your supplements, give me a number that I have to match for a certain nutrient. I bet I can find an efficient way to cover anything without having to rely upon unique sources such as seaweed. By all means though, continue to eat your seaweed.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
                              Are there any more questions regarding the Dr. Brownstein Iodine Protocol?

I highly recommend reading this book:
                              The Iodine Crisis: What You Don't Know About Iodine Can Wreck Your Life
                              The Iodine Crisis: What You Don't Know About Iodine Can Wreck Your Life: Lynne Farrow, David Brownstein MD: 9780986032004: Amazon.com: Books

This book will answer more questions than I can.

If anyone is skeptical, start reading through our testimonials:
                              Many are from right here at Marks Daily Apple:
                              http://tinyurl.com/iodine-testimonials

However this one is from friends in my own neighborhood:

Grizz
                              Are you addicted to feeling hyperthyroided up? At some point, on a mega-iodine diet, you're going to crash hard.

Comment

How did people get by before without supplements? And without living near the sea to get their seaweed?

Dairy, beef, eggs, and grain all have iodine. This is a hard one to look up because nutritiondata.self.com doesn't list it for me. I haven't found another website as organized and reliable as that one.

Want some selenium too? 250g (maybe 200g after it's cooked?) of raw beef has 100% of your daily requirement of selenium.

If you still don't believe me that you can throw away all your supplements, give me a number that I have to match for a certain nutrient. I bet I can find an efficient way to cover anything without having to rely upon unique sources such as seaweed. By all means though, continue to eat your seaweed.
                                I never supplement selenium. Ever. Not even with "all natural" Brazil nuts. Selium toxicity, now that's bad shit and I probably get plenty with all the eggs and meat I consume.

Agreed right there.

Comment

Working...
                                X