Eating Out (We've all done it)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating Out (We've all done it)

All of us get into situations where we have to eat out with friends of family or hell, just because we don't have time for anything else.

Here I am to the rescue with a list of restraurants where you can eat (decently) primal friendly!

Now, do keep aware that, of course, eating at home is the best way to go. But sometimes you just gotta eat out.

Wendy’s (order a burger no bun with Caesar side salad)
    Denny’s (build your own grand slam, all meat and eggs and add a side salad)
    Applebee’s (steak and veggies)
    Chipotle (burrito bowl, skip the beans and rice)
    Subway (chicken salad)
    McDonalds (yep… even in a bind you can still get a salad)
    KFC (grilled chicken … that’s it… there have NO paleo friendly sides)
    BD’s Mongolian Grill (bowl sans pasta and rice, ask for lettuce leaf wraps)
    Golden Coral (it’s a no brainer, eat the meat and veggies)

Anyone else got something to add to the list?
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back?” - Rivvin

Max and Ermas (Laredo Steak with broccoli or steamed veggies (I get the baked potato anyway...) hold the breadstick on the salad)
    Uno's Chicago Grill (Steak Tips and onions with double side of roasted or steamed veggies)
    Ruby Tuesday (Sirloin or Ribeye with double order of asparagus)

Hmm...maybe I should try something other than steak sometime...nah.

Oh wait! Cracker Barrel (2 Lemon Pepper Trout Filets with Veggies)
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key."
    ~The Eagles, "Already Gone"

Comment

I'm all for eating out with friends and family, but I wouldnt touch anyting from that list. It's not a special occasion if the destination is fastfood. I had mongolian BBQ a few months ago and it was disgusting. I would get meat and veggies at a real sitdown rest., but wendy's? c'mon, thats horrible.
      sigpic

Comment

Almost all restaurants are fairly simple to navigate - sometimes it just requires a kind smile and a polite request. Other times it takes a little more of a DIY approach.
        - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

Comment

Mimi's - the onion soup is wheat-free and they'll serve it without the toast if you ask; they have fantastic veggies and awesome steak.

Islands (which I think is only in SoCal) has a protein platter off-menu.
          Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

I eat out almost every weekend. It's easy to stay primal, just get meat and veggies. I've yet to have a problem

Comment

Originally posted by MeatMe216 View Post
              I would get meat and veggies at a real sitdown rest., but wendy's? c'mon, thats horrible.
              What's wrong with a wendy's burger without the bun? I hate to break it to you but sit down joints and fast food joints get all their stuff from the same places pretty much.

When you leave your house at 7am and don't get home until 10 pm (not to mention time and money constraints) a Wendy's burger without the bun is really not that horrible. I lost almost 70 lbs eating at these places while working and in college full time so it clearly it was a better choice than the way i was eating before...
              March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
              Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back?” - Rivvin

Comment

There's nothing wrong with having to 'make do' with fast food, and it can be done, but the OP mentioned 'eating out with family and friends' which means (to me) NOT fast food! In a normal sit down restaurant, I've never had any problem staying primal.

Comment

Pretty easy. Order meat and veggies or the closest approximation you can find on the menu (ie, fast food joints)
                  Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

On the very rare occasions that I eat fast food I always go for the Carls Jr. low carb burger. They are really good.

At any mexican restraunt you can always order fajita's without the tortillas. Yum

Comment

Originally posted by emmie View Post
                      There's nothing wrong with having to 'make do' with fast food, and it can be done, but the OP mentioned 'eating out with family and friends' which means (to me) NOT fast food! In a normal sit down restaurant, I've never had any problem staying primal.
                      This is what I was getting at. Yea, if your on the go and you have absolutely no time for anything else than a wendy's burger sans bun isn't going to kill you.
                      I was focusing on the out with friends and family part.
                      Obviously with fast food the meat is the cheapest feedlot stuff available, but Im more worried about the franken-oils and additives. Like most other things, if you stop eating that stuff, then go back to it, your body will let you know the difference. Even eggs cooked in canola oil makes my stomach unhappy.
                      sigpic

Comment

Ethnic restaurants can be fairly easy sometimes, Greek and Lebanese in particular, imo. Shishtaouk (chicken) or Shawarma (beef) platter, without pita, rice, or potatoes, and with two choices of salad instead. Not to mention their garlic sauce is to DIE for (and is especially primal if made form olive oil instead of vegetable oil).

I find primal foods in themselves not hard to find; it's just bothersome sometimes not to know where they come from or what they've been cooked in. But if it's only an occasional thing, why not.

Comment

Many non-chain restaurants will have some variation on a cobb salad. It's low carb and high protein. Get balsamic vinaigrette on the side. Pick off any croutons.

FWIW here's the "typical" cobb salad ingredients: salad greens, tomato, crisp bacon, boiled or roasted chicken breast, hard-boiled egg, avocado, chives, red-wine vinaigrette and Roquefort cheese.
                          carl's cave

Comment

Steak places are my favorite, but I don't enjoy eating out quite as much as I used to. Some of it is just a mental thing too. Like in the past I might have enjoyed salad before my steak. Now, I know that the oils in the dressing are pretty much garbage and that doesn't appeal to me. It's not like I would be able to tell that much of a difference in the long run whether or not I indulged, but I would just rather not. I like cooking my own food now because at least I know what went into it.
                            http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

When I go out with my family, I will generally choose my favorite local, family run restaurant who makes a great tandori chicken with veggies, stuffed pepper done with coconut milk, steak sandwich minus the bread, or even the salmon with veggies. we will also go to Boston Pizza because it is just down the street so I get the entree spinach salad and add either beef, chicken or salmon with guacamole on the side with the side salad dressing. I find it very easy to pick up meals on the run at sit down restaurants, and have not been to a fast food joint in many years...except the time I ended up working for my F-I-L and he took me to burger king. I had a burger and fries, tasted great but paid for it the next day!

Comment

Working...
                              X