Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me gross myself out, please! (fun but serious)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me gross myself out, please! (fun but serious)

I am a teacher. They are constantly feeding us for free, which is tempting--and the offerings are always artificial and carb-oriented, the type of food that gets snarfed up and everyone says, "wow, that was a hit!" and tries to out-do it, usually more cheaply, so the food keeps getting more and more ugly, deadly, and tempting (and yes, it is tempting to me--sorry guys, but I don't see that changing).

I have done my fair share of lounge-food snarfing, and it is still a constant temptation. Today I avoided the copious amounts of baked goods and the juices to go along with them, but I fell victim to catered leftover breaded chicken in sweet Italian sauce. In addition to the breaded part, it made the difference between meeting my calorie goal and blowing it.

I need to somehow twist my thinking so that lounge food is equivalent to dumpster-diving in my mind.

I've decided that I'm going to spend some time doing some sort of reverse meditation, where I get myself all worked up... I'm going to picture roaches and mice (which certainly live in the building) crawling all over the counters and making their way into the food... and swarms of flies, of all kinds... and I'm going to picture coworkers sneezing on stuff... and students dropping the food on the ground and the wrestling mats as they bring food boxes in the back gym door...

Help me, folks. What other horrific images of lounge food finds can I get in my mind to help me avoid eating it???

Been there. What works for me is trying to pronounce all the crap in the ingredients list. After seeing all that, I'm less enthused to eat it. That and the rat/ roach trick should work.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

It may not be just in your imagination. According to surveys I've read, more than half of employees who work with food preparation ADMIT to doing horrible things to it: Hawking loogies, picking their noses and wiping it on the food...and the list gets more and more disgusting.

Comment

I imagine mold all over it. I try to smell the mold, get that horrible taste in the back of my throat from smelling mold etc. and then I usually gag and leave. Lol I have an active imagination! It does not however extend to peanut butter, my arch nemesis.
        The more I see the less I know for sure.
        -John Lennon

Comment

Oh, if it's catered, that's even easier: picture the nearest 3 year old you know making the food, complete with playdoh bits and dog hair. I've met several line cooks who admit to picking up the food after dropping it and continuing (5 sec rule en masse) without even really looking it over.
          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
          My Latest Journal

Comment

maggots ....

Comment

EEEEEeeeeeeeeewwwwwww. Mold.

Good stuff! Keep it coming...

Comment

I don't have any other suggestions, but as a school employee, I can totally relate to your post. I am going to use the rat/roach imagery next time a spread is put out. The mold one might work, too...
                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread51572.html

Comment

Great idea!!

I don't have any suggestions now, but can totally relate. I am not a teacher, but we constantly have carb-y stuff around like bagels, doughnuts, breakfast pastries, cookies, birthday cakes. If I have any ideas will post them.

The ingredient idea is good and often works for me. If the food comes in packages, read the ingredients label. That should turn you off right away.
                  My primal journal

Comment

Picture this.
                    Last edited by Bostonbully; 10-07-2010, 05:54 PM. Reason: It was a fat chick eating a cake but I'm not keeping it on my photobucket.
                    "Live Free or Die"

Comment

Picture the people who prepped the food wiping their asses and then chopping, dicing, mixing and presenting your food with their dirty hands.

Comment

Have you ever been at a buffet and seen kids with snotty noses sneeze, wipe their nose, and then touch the food. That image always works for me. Nothing against kids, its just they are the only ones I have seen do this.

Comment

If some of hte stuff is not catered and is brought in by co-workers, imagine the nastiest person, you know grubby looking clothes, dirty car, etc. Think about how their kitchen must look, probably it is pretty dirty. Then tell yourself THAT person brings in all the home cooked foods and desserts.
                          Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

(erm... I work with control freaks... I probably have the dirtiest kitchen... I'd have to picture my own, most likely...)

Okay, this is helping overall, though!

I'm kind of glad I didn't see the fat chick picture before it was deleted... Low self-image day, you know...

Comment

Originally posted by dragonmamma View Post
                              It may not be just in your imagination. According to surveys I've read, more than half of employees who work with food preparation ADMIT to doing horrible things to it: Hawking loogies, picking their noses and wiping it on the food...and the list gets more and more disgusting.
                              That one does it for me! Gag!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X