I went for my physical today....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I went for my physical today....

And the doc said that I was fat. I gained three pounds. He did NOT take into consideration that according to the maker of my underware Victoria Secret that I am now a medium azz and not a large!
    Also, he did not take into consideration that I went from a size 10 to a size 8 in pants and that my clothes are getting bigger every week. I am five one and I weight 171, however I do NOT look fat at all. Most people guess that I weigh 130 because I have alot of muscle. I told the doc as long as my clothes are getting bigger and not smaller that I am not worried. He was also concerned about my cholesterol, he said it went up six more points( I have been eating primal for 8 weeks) and I told him to give it 90 more days and to do a retest and I asked that he request a VAP test (whatever that is that Grizz was talking about..) because he said in the same breath that my bad cholesterol was high and that my good cholesterol was very high. I told him I wasnt' concerned and that he could keep his statins.

OK, I am trying to keep a smily face but.. yeah I was pissed that I didn't lose weight cause my clothes are bigger!!!

Gotta love docs! (not all of them!)

My suggestion would be to measure yourself right now... arms, neck, bust, waist, calf, hips, etc. Then keep doing what you're doing. Right before you go back in, measure yourself again and take that information with you.

That should give you better ammo. He will most certainly still look perplexed but it may shut him up.

Agreed on the VAP... it is a much better measure.

Interesting fact... thyroid issues can cause your cholesterol to go up. My TSH went up for a while and my last cholesterol test was higher (231). In four months, the TSH came back down and my cholesterol was 181. Go figure. Ate the same way, it was just a symptom of another issue.
    sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

Could you explain how your clothes are getting bigger, while you move from a large to a medium?

Comment

Originally posted by Gathwh View Post
        Could you explain how your clothes are getting bigger, while you move from a large to a medium?
        What she likely means is that as she gets smaller, the clothes she was wearing are now too big.
        Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
        Current weight: 199
        Goal: 145

Comment

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but you have piqued my curiosity. What does a woman look like at 5' 1" and 171 if she doesn't look fat (at all) and has muscle? I know what a woman looks like at 4' 11" and 92 lbs because I'm married to one.

Pics?
          Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
          Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
          LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
          HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
          TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

I agree with the PP, take measurements. Also take some 'before' pictures and 'after' pictures from today and right before your next appointment.

And can I say this? I still get irked when people that are my height or shorter, weigh more and wear a smaller size than I do. It happens all the time and makes me insane (will not say batty again- just won't do it!)
            Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Originally posted by kcult View Post
              I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but you have piqued my curiosity. What does a woman look like at 5' 1" and 171 if she doesn't look fat (at all) and has muscle? I know what a woman looks like at 4' 11" and 92 lbs because I'm married to one.

Pics?

+1

My wife is 5'3" and was 145 lbs (pre pregnancy) leg pressing 400 lbs and clearly still had weight to lose.
              "Live Free or Die"

Comment

Dangit you guys beat me... I really really want to see some pictures because at that weight you must be one hell of a weight lifter if you are not fat.

Comment

Edit.
                  Last edited by kcult; 10-08-2010, 03:15 AM.
                  Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
                  Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
                  LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
                  HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
                  TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

You go, Diva. Go get a new doc.

ETA: Good points about the height/weight ratio above. I'm curious on that, too. (At 5'3", my lean-and-strong weight is about 120.)
                    Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 10-08-2010, 06:59 AM.
                    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

How do you put an image on here w/out it having a url???/

Comment

I have no idea how to upload a pic on here w/out a link so... how about this. Can ya'll go to my facebook page and look at me then come back here and comment??? My facebook name is: tanya crawley ortiz
                        That is too easy! You should see pics of me on my facebook page. Lots of pics. Either that or someone can PM me their email addy and I can email you a pic and then you can post it. ( I am not a techy person sorry!)

Comment

I'd look for another doctor if he only goes by the number on the scale and doesn't look at you. I wear a 'medium' in tops and pants, and when I told my endo that I wanted to lose 10 more lbs (because of the number on the scale), he said, "Stop now; you look fantastic."

If your HDL is high, do you know your triglycerides? I ask because I had a VAP test (high LDL), and my LDL is 100% "Pattern A"--the good kind. My doctor said that in his experience, people with high HDL and low triglycerides almost always have Pattern A LDL. Again, the number is not the important thing here, and you seem to have a numbers guy.

Comment

I took a quick look at your FB profile pic (can't see the rest because they're viewable only by your friends, not by everyone).

I'm stunned. I'm 5ft 3 and 107 pounds. My arms look a lot like yours. I have a reasonable amount of muscle, particularly upper body. I'm a *bit* skinnier in the belly, but not 65 POUNDS skinnier. Where the heck do you put it all? You must have heavy organs or something
                            Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
                            Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

That is why I think the BMI is completely crap. My wife is short, her BMI states she should be less than 130, but she'd be skin and bones that low because of her body structure. She has wide hips and a barrel chest, it's not about losing weight, can't lose bones! I say to not worry about the number on a scale, stay with what makes you look and feel fit.
                              - Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X