RE: Veggies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: Veggies

For the most part, I really, really enjoy the primal way of eating . However if I just eat based on what I want, not what I think I should eat, I find myself eating lots of meat, ghee, olive oil, avocado, and fruit. I do eat sauteed mushrooms, spinach, some cauliflower, celery, carrots and salad a few times a week. But I don't really eat the massive amounts of veggies I think I should.

So, do people make themselves eat their veggies? Will I eventually develop nutritional deficiencies without them?

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

I like to saute (in coconut oil/duck fat) zucchini/squash slices and then throw spinach + mixed greens on top at the end, mixed up with some red/normal pepper + a little salt and you got yourself some super tasty, easily digestible veggies.

Also: broccoli with goat cheddar, amazing.

Comment

I like to make main dishes that involve plenty of veggies. things like omelets, curries and veggie quiches.

Comment

I think as you go on in the primal way of life, you might start to like veggies more. As you lose that strong pallet for sugar and starch, veggies seem less "tasteless" and more interesting. At least that's how it worked for me. Not sure how new you are to this though.

Comment

Vegetables have replaced the base of the meal for me like pasta, rice used to occupy.

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
            For the most part, I really, really enjoy the primal way of eating . However if I just eat based on what I want, not what I think I should eat, I find myself eating lots of meat, ghee, olive oil, avocado, and fruit. I do eat sauteed mushrooms, spinach, some cauliflower, celery, carrots and salad a few times a week. But I don't really eat the massive amounts of veggies I think I should.

So, do people make themselves eat their veggies? Will I eventually develop nutritional deficiencies without them?

Thanks for your thoughts!
            The bottom of the PB Pyramid is veg & fruit so based on that we should be having a good amount of them. I believe that we should eat veggies every day (I eat them with almost every meal) for our bodies to get all those wonderful nutrients (plus fiber). If weight loss is not a concern then a combo of fruit & veg would work but I really do think it's healthy to have a good portion of plants every day.

I don't "make" myself eat veggies. I love veggies but don't really care for fruit. (Probably the only one here. LOL) There are so many delicious ways to incorporate veggies into meals. Maybe some new recipes would help like veggies more?
            312/149/150

Comment

i pretty much love eating vegetables, so i don't have to make myself eat them. however, i also recognize that not all vegetables taste great. enter fats and spices. i usually cook my veggies in butter or bacon fat, which adds to the flavor. imagine brussell sprouts without fat--crazy bitter. the bacon fat and a little cheese on top really softens and complements them so you get the flavor without the bite. you can saute pretty much any veggie that way and improve the taste. you can also roast veggies in the oven with a mix of spices and olive oil, and i think you would have trouble finding a person who did not like them.
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

I usually eat fruit with breakfast and veggies with lunch and dinner. Sometimes I do veggies at all three meals. I don't really think about it anymore, that's just what we have and every meal, to me, has to have produce and protein (I would say fat, but I always cook my meat and veggies in plenty of fat

Comment

I don't eat a lot of fruit but I demolish veggies. We steam sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and everything else. We try our best to incorporate them in almost every meal. Omelets with mushrooms, bell peppers, onions or whatever we have in the house. It adds a little zest and knocks out a few portions right off the bat.

We typically do three veggies a night but in smaller portions. The leftovers we eat the next day for snacks or with lunch. I never ate veggies very often before the PB but now can't imagine a day without them.
                  Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Comment

I think Mark said somewhere that you can start with 2-3 servings of vegetables a day and work yourself up to 8-9 servings a day.

Top 10 Fall Vegetables

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
                      imagine brussell sprouts without fat--crazy bitter. the bacon fat and a little cheese on top really softens and complements them so you get the flavor without the bite.
                      Oh man brussels sprouts with cheese! I know what I'm having with my steak tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by mizski View Post
                        I don't "make" myself eat veggies. I love veggies but don't really care for fruit. (Probably the only one here. LOL)
                        Nope! Except avocado, but they are more than sugar, Vit C, and fibre...

Comment

You can add veggies to a lot of stuff in place of grains. Use cauliflower "rice," spaghetti squash or zucchini "noodles," etc.

Also, sauces (like marinara), soups, stews, stirfries, omelettes, and curries are all good places to throw in a few extra veggies without feeling like you're eating a huge pile of them.
                          Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

FWIW, since going primal I have gradually lost interest in most veggies; but the ones I want I REALLY want. Does that make sense??
                            I tend much more towards carnivory, and there are plenty of people that live happily on little to no veggies. So I wouldn't worry too much

Comment

I don't think veggies are all they're cracked up to be. yes theyre important, but if you're getting a few servings a day and mixing it up from day to day, you're probably getting enough nutrients. You don't have to eat 8-9 servings a day for optimal health.

Comment

Working...
                              X