Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the Best Carbs for us?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What are the Best Carbs for us?

    What are the best carbs for us primal people when we exercise? I gather that sometimes colorful vegetables fall short on providing energy for longer or more intense workouts. From reading here, I see that some people use bananas, sweet potatoes, or beetroot juice. I think these are all fine, with bananas being the most convenient, though they are a little sugary. I'm wondering if there are others that work well, or that people like.
    Last edited by Sam Cree; 10-06-2010, 07:43 PM.

  • #2
    If you are not trying to lose weight then a banana is fine. Berries are AWESOME especially them raspberries! A bit expensive though...

    Sweet potatoes are great for more intense workouts if you feel you need the carbs.

    Or, you can just eat more fat. Avocados are perfect!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

    Comment


    • #3
      I like parsnips fried in ghee.

      Comment


      • #4
        I devour sweet potatoes like there's no tomorrow (in a pwo setting) and I only seem to be losing more fat while gaining more muscle. I tried the same thing with bananas, but the fructose malabsorption really bothered my stomach.

        Sweet potatoes get my vote.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Primal Toad View Post
          If you are not trying to lose weight then a banana is fine. Berries are AWESOME especially them raspberries! A bit expensive though...

          Sweet potatoes are great for more intense workouts if you feel you need the carbs.

          Or, you can just eat more fat. Avocados are perfect!
          I'm not trying to lose weight. Used to be a "chronic cardio" type. I still do much reduced jogging distances, like 10 or so minutes, and find I need a few more carbs for that...the avocado is a great suggestion.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Funkadelic Flash View Post
            I devour sweet potatoes like there's no tomorrow (in a pwo setting) and I only seem to be losing more fat while gaining more muscle. I tried the same thing with bananas, but the fructose malabsorption really bothered my stomach.

            Sweet potatoes get my vote.
            I've really been enjoying those very small sweet potatoes we've been finding at the farmer's markets. They are like candy. What gets me is that non primal family members never notice how outrageously sweet they really taste, once our taste buds readjust. It's astounding.

            Comment


            • #7
              Sweet potatoes are my choice for carb refeeds as well. I found some long skinny white ones that were awesome last summer. They're gone now and I was told that they are seasonal. I'll be having more of those next year for sure.
              http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

              Comment


              • #8
                Bananas upset my stomach, I'm mostly berries but I'm going to take up sweet potatoes for the more intense workout days.
                I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

                Comment


                • #9
                  For me it's bananas and I recently added a small serving of sweet potato after my powerlifting sessions.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Nocturnalhorse View Post
                    sweet potato

                    powerlifting
                    Works for me too.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Sweet potatoes are my top choice, as well.

                      Avocados are high on the list.

                      Sometimes I'll have half an apple with almond butter or half a banana with coconut cream concentrate, but both those are pretty rare for me anymore. I find that I just don't crave fruit like I once did. (Back in my vegan days, I'd eat a whole banana with almond butter pre-workout! And "green drink" after! Eek!)
                      Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

                      Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        one more vote for sweet potatoes! One large yam with a ton of butter for fat can keep me out surfing or playing basketball for hours.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          i vote sweet potatoes too but i am sick of seeing carbs being associated with exercise. yo dont need to do strenuous exercise just to eat a sweet tater!
                          Get on my Level
                          http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Berries.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
                              i vote sweet potatoes too but i am sick of seeing carbs being associated with exercise. yo dont need to do strenuous exercise just to eat a sweet tater!
                              Amen to that. I eat whatever the hell i want. Could my progress be a bit faster if i didn't....maybe, but it will be a cold day in hell I say to myself don't eat the other half of that (insert carb of choice).
                              "Live Free or Die"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X