Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When u put coconut milk in the fridge what is the solid that separates?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • When u put coconut milk in the fridge what is the solid that separates?

    Is that coconut cream? It tastes amazing
    MDA PRIMAL LIBERTARIAN GROUP

  • #2
    Yup, coconut cream. 8) yum

    Comment


    • #3
      m spooning it into my tea as i write this

      Comment


      • #4
        Where can i get just the cream?????
        MDA PRIMAL LIBERTARIAN GROUP

        Comment


        • #5
          I just had some coconut milk with my coffee this morning. I shook it up really well so that it was creamy and frothy before pouring it in. Absolutely delicious!
          My rarely updated outlet for random occurrences of creativity.

          Alo's Nest

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by shemdogg View Post
            Where can i get just the cream?????
            They sell this brand at my local health food store but I haven't tried it yet: http://www.amazon.com/Lets-Do-Organi...6382364&sr=1-4

            And Tropical Traditions makes stuff that might be similar.. they say there's no water added, so it's probably even thicker: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/co...oncentrate.htm
            "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

            I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

            Comment


            • #7
              Am I missing something? I've bought exactly one can of coconut milk and the stuff that separated out was lumpy and grainy, which made the milk when shook up all grainy and yucky, I felt like I had to chew my coffee. I never bought another. Did I get a bad can?
              Quietly Primal
              Eating food that remembers where it came from

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by QuietlyPrimal View Post
                Am I missing something? I've bought exactly one can of coconut milk and the stuff that separated out was lumpy and grainy, which made the milk when shook up all grainy and yucky, I felt like I had to chew my coffee. I never bought another. Did I get a bad can?
                Some of the cheaper stuff does this (the wholefoods brand) Ive been buying thai kitchen lately and its nice and thick in the fridge
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by QuietlyPrimal View Post
                  Am I missing something? I've bought exactly one can of coconut milk and the stuff that separated out was lumpy and grainy, which made the milk when shook up all grainy and yucky, I felt like I had to chew my coffee. I never bought another. Did I get a bad can?
                  Did you refrigerate it before you opened it? That can make for some lumpy separation, although the small "lumps" should just be coconut oil and would melt in hot coffee. I find that if I keep it at room temp until I open it, pour it into a container and shake it up really REALLY well before I refrigerate, it will never separate again. If you're getting actual hard chunks of coconut in it, then you probably need to try a different brand, that sounds like terrible quality. I've used Chaokoh, Thai Kitchen, and Native Forest and never had that issue.
                  "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

                  I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I usually dont use a whole can at once, so I use a small glass when I put in the fridge. The wholefoods brand would still be runny, but thicker with some chunks in it. Thai kitchen just goes completely solid and cream. mmmmm totally worth the extra 20cents
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mayness View Post
                      I've used Chaokoh, Thai Kitchen, and Native Forest and never had that issue.
                      Was there any difference in taste/quality between them? The only good one I've found locally is Thai Kitchen.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I didn't really like the taste of the Chaokoh, but I can't remember exactly what was different about it. It also re-separates in the fridge, probably because there are no thickeners added, just a couple of preservatives.

                        I think Native Forest tastes a little sweeter and maybe a little more coconutty than Thai Kitchen - it's subtle, I think it's really only noticeable if I'm drinking it straight, once it's mixed into a food or drink there's no big difference. The texture seems similar between the two. Also, I've only tried the non-organic Thai Kitchen, so maybe the organic stuff is different.
                        "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

                        I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mayness View Post
                          Did you refrigerate it before you opened it? That can make for some lumpy separation, although the small "lumps" should just be coconut oil and would melt in hot coffee. I find that if I keep it at room temp until I open it, pour it into a container and shake it up really REALLY well before I refrigerate, it will never separate again. If you're getting actual hard chunks of coconut in it, then you probably need to try a different brand, that sounds like terrible quality. I've used Chaokoh, Thai Kitchen, and Native Forest and never had that issue.
                          I didn't refrigerate it. I think the brand was Goya. It had little teeny bits of coconut in it, there was nothing creamy about it. I will try the Thai Kitchen next time. Thanks all!
                          Quietly Primal
                          Eating food that remembers where it came from

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by QuietlyPrimal View Post
                            I didn't refrigerate it. I think the brand was Goya. It had little teeny bits of coconut in it, there was nothing creamy about it. I will try the Thai Kitchen next time. Thanks all!
                            yeah, the goya brand is absolutely horrible.
                            sigpic

                            HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X