No announcement yet.

If you buy eggs at the grocery store...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you buy eggs at the grocery store...

"...what do you buy? I use to purchase the "organic, free-range, etc." But then the owner of a poultry equipment company told me not to waste my money. He said there isn't much, if any difference. Most of the time I am able to purchase local eggs from a farmer friend that names her chicks and writes stories about them, so I know they are treated well. But during the hottest part of our Georgia summers, they don't lay a lot of eggs and I end up buying them at the grocery store. I don't mind paying more for the "organic, free range, etc" eggs if it is true...heck, I pay $4/dz for the local ones. But I don't want to get swindled out of our money by tricky labeling. I found this:

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/confinement_farm/facts/guide_egg_labels.html

And I am also really curious about the egg situation in other countries. Is it easier to get local eggs?

I keep going back and forth with the idea of raising our own chickens, but I just hate the idea of having to deal with chicken poop or finding the remains after a raccoon or hawk has raided the coop. I think I need to toughen up or just eat less eggs when I can't get them from a local source.
    www.chowstalker.com We don't do cupcakes.
    www.desserrtstalker.com We still don't do cupcakes.
    http://followingmynose.blogspot.com/

I always wonder the same thing. I have been eating egglands best for a while now but who knows if they really are better.
    "It may be normal darling, but I'd rather be natural." -Holly Golightly

Comment

When I can't get my neighbor's eggs, I buy local, organic, free-range, with omega-3s. No idea if I'm really just throwing away money, but that strategy did keep me clear of the latest nationwide egg recall
      Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
      Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

Originally posted by lizch View Post
        When I can't get my neighbor's eggs, I buy local, organic, free-range, with omega-3s. No idea if I'm really just throwing away money, but that strategy did keep me clear of the latest nationwide egg recall
        Pretty much this. I normally get local, pastured eggs from the farm market, but sometimes I underestimate our egg needs and have to resort to supermarket eggs. I don't pretend that they are as good as the farm market eggs, but I figure there is a decent chance they're better than the non-organic, stuff-twenty-chickens-in-a-box kind of eggs. It just irks me that they cost more than my farm market eggs!
        The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Just buy the omega 3 eggs, organic and free-range are a gimmick.

Comment

I agree with Joe, at the grocery I buy plain omega 3 eggs. Free range only is meaningful to me if I actually know the farmer, otherwise it is just a marketing label.

Comment

Mark has a post on this:
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/egg-purchasing-guide/

Comment

The so-called free range, organic eggs always have more vibrant yolks than the regular eggs. The regular ones look downright sickly in comparison. So I don't think it's a complete waste of money.
                You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

I've been eating the regular ol' sunny meadow eggs but tried switching to some organic free range eggs and was actually kind of surprised at how different they looked when I cracked em open.

I did notice thought that they have a definite different taste to them... the only way I can describe it is that they were more tart?

Oh yeah... is Flax Fortified the same thing as Omega-3 fortified? I assumed it meant the flax was to add Omega-3's?

Comment

In the UK/ Europe, 'free range' doesn't necessarily mean the hens actually get outside, and 'organic' is a much better standard. Sounds like 'organic' doesn't mean so much in the US, though. (Here we have the reverse problem - it's so hard and expensive to get organic certification that you have people working to that standard who can't afford to get certified.)

Comment

I have a local woman that I buy eggs from, but sometimes she can't keep up with demand. SHe hasn't trained her chickens to produce on demand

I buy egglands best or the Costco omega-3 eggs just depends on where we are buying them.
                      Never, never, never quit! -- Winston Churchill

Comment

THe important distinction is 'free range' vs 'pastuerd'. In order to be labeled free range they need to have access to the outdoors. If it is labeled 'cage free' it is deceiving too. That just means they are not in a a small individual cage, but could be in a huge warehouse with thousands of other chickens.

What you want to look for is 'pastuered' meaning they lived and were outside most of the time.

But, opmega 3 'cage free' are better than regualr grocery store eggs in nutritional value. As PP mentioned you can see the difference in the yolk! If I eat two factory raised eggs, I am hungry in no time. If I eat two omega enhanced organic eggs, I am not hungry as soon.
                        Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

I think Mark nailed it in his post on eggs. I eat them raw mostly and I wouldn't do it if they weren't organic, humanely raised open yard birds. If you're not eating organic eggs you're consuming a ton of antibiotics and growth hormones. You're also eating eggs from a very stressed out animal.

I do local CSA’s mostly (love all the different color eggs!), but here in Portland the grocery stores have local organic yard bird eggs. You can watch videos that show how there raised and where they live. You can even go to the farm if you want.

To me at least, true organic free range eggs are like a different food than those crappy all white, weak shelled, runny yolk stuff sold at typical grocery stores. Eggs are so cheap it's worth spending the money on the real food.

Comment

Flax fed is the way to go for supermarket eggs. It allows the chickens to produce eggs that are comparable to the best eggs that you would get at the farmer's market for a fraction of the price. They may be the eggs that contribute to the most animal cruelty though. The hens are forced to eat like vegans, after all.
                            Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

I buy Omega-3 organic at Whole Foods Market, the store brand called 365.
                              Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

sigpic

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
                              Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
                              So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
                              Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
                              Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

Working...
                              X