• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, talk about an idiot...

http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/ar...4421&GT1=31036

You are right, fools all of them.

Comment

If this was accurate, it does go to show that it's not always about low carb or high carb, and that caloric intake does play a part. However, this is not healthy regardless.

Comment

When it comes to weight loss, I believe he is right, it is all about cals in, cals out. And this plays into the perpetuated the media loves to perpetuate, that being slim means one is healthy.

Comment

Hoooooooray he lost weight. But I guarentee he had to super OCD about what he was eating and in the end his body probably took some serious health hits; personally I don't have the time nor the care to constantly track my calories in and spend hours in the gym every week to fight one day of not tracking on a SAD (plus I don't have the money for all the meds/supps that go along with such a weightloss diet)
          My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Comment

i don't think he was being an idiot, he was trying to prove a point. people are focusing too much on weight loss and eating crap to do so.

Says Haub: "I want people to look at what I'm doing and decide, is this healthy? I hope the answer encourages them to reexamine their own relationship with food."
            he is, basically, making people aware that WHAT they eat is also important, too. much like the point of MDA. see also the 20% rule. we just have different perceptions of what is in that 20%.
            sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

Originally posted by scubasam View Post
              When it comes to weight loss, I believe he is right, it is all about cals in, cals out. And this plays into the perpetuated the media loves to perpetuate, that being slim means one is healthy.
              You are correct. When it comes to weight loss it's just cals in vs cals out. People get very caught up in low fat, low carb, low GI diets being "magic", but there is only one magic: creating a deficit in cals in vs cals out. And I think that's what this professor was trying to prove: that it's not so much as what you eat as it is HOW MUCH you eat. There was a similar "experiment" done by an athlete/BB who ate nothing by McDonald's and was successful at losing fat - note, I say fat, as opposed to weight(a combination of water, fat, and muscle mass)

Now as far as nutrition goes, obviously the "junk food/fast food diet" isn't as nutritionally complete as eating a diet of whole unprocessed foods. And I think that is part of the point of the experiment. Sure you can lose weight eating junk, but is it healthy?

Comment

Here is an interesting website that debunks (IMHO) the theory of Calories In Calories Out:

http://www.why-low-carb-diets-work.c...-counting.html
                Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

sigpic

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
                Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
                So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
                Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
                Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

I don't know how you guys can continue to believe that calories in/calories out is the WHOLE story after all the threads we have here on fat loss plateaus.
                  You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                    I don't know how you guys can continue to believe that calories in/calories out is the WHOLE story after all the threads we have here on fat loss plateaus.
                    Or just after reading either the PB book or Good Calories, Bad Calories... come on, obviously calories play a part but does anyone here really think that eating 2000 calories of bread and pasta with a little meat is the same as 2000 cals of steak, eggs, fish and veggies?
                    The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
                    Blog
                    sigpic

Comment

When it comes to weight loss it truly is all about calories in vs calories out. No matter what the hell you put inside your body if you consume 1500 calories but burn 2000 calories in a 24 hour period for a number of days, weeks or months, then you will lose weight. This is a fact that will never be changed.

A calorie is a measure of energy. Its simple.

But, with that said - its going to be EXTREMELY difficult for someone to eat twinkies and other processed junk food and lose weight because its so hard to stop eating those types of food once you start. You don't have a full feeling but instead an immediate sugar rush that goes away rather quickly only to leave you hungry again.

Its much easier to lose weight while consuming a primal/paleo diet because of the types of food you are eating. And, you feel awesome too. I am guessing that guy felt like crap quite a bit while downing all that junk food.

This is where weight loss gets out of hand. I hope that people don't follow this guys experiment because they will be doing a lot of harm to there body. Unfortunately there probably will be hundreds trying something similar only to FAIL.
                      Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Whereas I don't agree that it's all about calories in/calories out in regards to overall health, I think some are missing the point of the article/experiment. I think his purpose was the show that, as you can lose weight regardless of what food you eat as long as you have a calorie deficit, one must consider the types of food one is eating to know if he/she is living a healthly lifestyle. Sadly, I don't think his choices for "healthy" food would really fit the Primal description (as evidenced by the statement in the article about not eating whole grains or getting lots of fiber during the experiment). Ultimately, though, I think he brings up a good point - any one can lose weight if they eat less - the question is, are you really eating food that's good for you?
                        Strength and Honor

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                          In terms of health and the right way to treat your body, it is not the WHOLE story, but when it comes to losing weight, that can only happen when you are taking in less than you are burning. I have yet to lose any weight on PB even though I have been completely on track up to two weeks in a row (not stellar, I know, but one should lose 2-4 lbs in that time on PB). Why have I not lost any weight? Because I am still eating more primal food than I need.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Fist View Post
                            Or just after reading either the PB book or Good Calories, Bad Calories... come on, obviously calories play a part but does anyone here really think that eating 2000 calories of bread and pasta with a little meat is the same as 2000 cals of steak, eggs, fish and veggies?
                            Not the same for health, but likely the same for weight loss.

It's about the controlled studies, not observation. In controlled studies, weight loss is pretty damn similar when calories are controlled. Sometimes the partitioning is different (which is HUGE), but the weight loss is usually very similar.

I like what this professor did. I think that if people controlled their calories, they could live relatively (compared to an overeater) long lives...even eating garbage. Our bodies are fairly adaptable and will make due. For me, the different between paleo and a regular diet is that I can stick to Paleo...which is the single most important factor in a successful diet. The perfect diet is worthless if you can't stick to it.

IMO, the biggest fault of grains, PUFAs, and fructose is that they lead to over-eating.

My issue with grains

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Toad View Post
                              When it comes to weight loss it truly is all about calories in vs calories out. No matter what the hell you put inside your body if you consume 1500 calories but burn 2000 calories in a 24 hour period for a number of days, weeks or months, then you will lose weight. This is a fact that will never be changed.
                              My brother has spina bifida. Because his legs are underdeveloped, he's a little over 5 feet tall. But he weighs close to 200 pounds. Most days he eats somewhere around 1200 calories in a mix of Primal and CW-ish meals. His weight has not budged in months. He is on anti-rejection drugs, antidepressants, and tons of other meds for other conditions. His hormones must be out of whack and his body is under constant stress. The body does all it can to hold onto fat when it's under enough stress.

The calories in/calories out theory may work fine when you're otherwise healthy, but that does not mean that's all that's going on in your body.
                              You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Working...
                              X