Casein protein powder?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casein protein powder?

Anyone have any knowledge about this stuff? Is it ok to use? My son regularly drinks protein shakes and usually buys whey-based products. Yesterday he came home with this new kind...main ingredient is miscellar casein. Is this ok or something to be avoided? Any opinions as to what the best/healthiest source of protein powder for athletes is?

Both casein and whey are milk derived proteins. Milk contains aproximately 20% wehyand 80% casein. Whey is absorbed quickly and causes a bigger spike in protein uptake than casein, while casein is absorbed over a longer period (think it might be 6 hours or something depending on dose) and results in an overall higher protein uptake. Assuming the protein powder is consumed just after workout and your son will be consuming a real post workout meal within an hour or two after training I think the general consensus is that whey is superior. Studies also show that real milk or choclolate milk is superior to shakes made up of a protein isolate and glucose, probably because the constituents of milk work synergistically. If meat is available right after workout I would do that and drop all the dairy isolate crap tbh, but otherwise whole milk > whey > casein.

Comment

Thanks for asking this question healthymama! I too have been interested in the different protein powders? Is there a specific time frame you are supposed to drink them? I've heard some people drink whey protein powder before working out & then I've heard some people drink casein protein powder right before bed....but I really never knew the actual reasons why or the 'schedule' to use! How do these powders play into a primal lifestyle?
      My Primal Journey

"success is determined by
      how you handle setbacks" - lululemon

Weekly Weigh In :
      10/1/10 SW: 165.8

Comment

Also, whey tends to be better tolerated than casein, those with intolerance to milk proteins are likely to be intolerant to casein rather than whey. I am fine with whey and lactose doesn't bother me, but casein-containing things like cheese do.
        Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
        Harold Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Pandadude View Post
          whole milk > whey > casein.
          I'll second this. Undenatured whey and/or raw milk will also promote glutathione synthesis, which you will not get with casein powder

Comment

Working...
          X