Beer!!!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer!!!!!!!

OK, I know technically beer is made from wheat, but just how bad is it? I mean, how much wheat is actually in there as compared to eating bread or pasta? Is it really that bad to have a couple of brewskies on a Friday night? I'll chaulk it up to my 20% and be happy at that.

Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
    Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
    LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
    HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
    TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

hahaha, that's great!

Comment

Beer -- it has lots and lots of a purine in it. Purines raise uric acid. Fructose raises uric acid. Fructose and purines raise uric acid, and apparently they are finding out that high uric acid is what causes metabolic syndrome. Hence beer belly is pretty much like HFCS belly, from similar pathways.

It's not really the gluten thing that much, except for real celiac types. Its effects are more like eating a handful of caramels now and then.

Comment

Great stats! Thanks for the explanation.

Comment

P.S. Some beer is made with wheat and hops, but isn't most of it made from barley and hops?

By the way, I've read that hops are estrogenic.

Comment

afsjesse,

I have found (through extensive research ;-) ) that I can have one or two lagers once or twice a week. Any more than that, and I will
              start to puff up. The "wheat beers" make me feel horrible (not surprisingly).

It's your decision, and everyone is different...just see what works for YOU

Comment

Yah, I don't have it much, but when I do, I'd like to know what i'm doing to myself. lol.

Comment

There are some beers made with sorghum instead of wheat. I am somewhat allergic to wheat so it works for me...tastes pretty good IMO as well. After drinking sorghum beer a while i came to dislike the taste of regular wheat beer.

Comment

sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

Now I'm thirsty.

Comment

Haha nice Batty , thats the one

You could also try some mead like the vikings or organic hard cider

Comment

I like the beer that's made from grapes and left to go fizzy in the bottle!
                          activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Comment

Mark comes to our rescue on BEER !

First of all, isn't beer fermented? The fermentation process reduces the horrors of grains. Mark discusses fermentation here:

Originally posted by Mark
                            ...Fermentation can render previously inedible or even dangerous foods edible and somewhat nutritious. The lectins, gluten, and phytates in grains, for example, can be greatly reduced by fermentation. I don’t advocate the consumption of bread, but if you’re going to treat yourself to any gluten grain-derived food, make real, long-fermented sourdough bread the one.
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fermented-foods-health/
                            Carb Ratings for BEERS:
                            http://www.beer100.com/beercalories.htm

Originally posted by Mark
                            ...there are some legitimate scientific reasons to enjoy alcohol in moderation. Alcohol as a blood thinner enhances vascular health, and the phenolic content (potent antioxidants) can pack a healthy punch. Research has compared alcohol abstention with moderate and “heavy” drinking. Moderate alcohol consumption appears (PDF) to lower the incidence of coronary heart disease, type 2 diabetes, total and ischaemic stroke, as well as result in an overall reduction in mortality. And it seems older folks have the most to gain. Not only do they appear to benefit the most from a vascular health standpoint, research has linked moderate drinking in those over 65 with superior cognitive and memory function. It has also been linked to higher bone density in postmenopausal women. (There are still cautions, however, for those with a history or high risk of breast cancer or haemorrhagic stroke.)

BEST CHOICE RED WINE
                            We mean the biggest health benefit with the fewest carbs and additives. The pinnacle, not surprisingly, is red wine. Research has supported time and again the impressive polyphenol power of red wine. Another bonus with red? Resveratrol – that super antioxidant, able to combat cancer and reduce signs of aging, among other feats. Any red (other than port) offers high antioxidant power with somewhere around 3-5 grams of carbs, however differences exist even in this top tier of Primal imbibing.
                            BEST BEER CHOICE=Light Beer
                            Beer, like wine, offers polyphenol power. According to research, beer seems to hold its own with white wine in terms of antioxidant activity. As for carb content, light beers vary generally between 3-6 grams (although a few like Michelob are more than 11) and contain around 90-100 calories.
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/low-carb-alcohol/
                            And then we have Marks 80% Rule, go ahead and indulge once in a while. Hey, I'll come over to your place a tip a few with you ;--))
                            BETTER IDEA:
                            All of us get together for a PRIMAL BEER FEST !

Best to all,
                            Grizz
                            Last edited by Grizz; 10-03-2010, 03:02 AM.

Comment

I like the Redbridge as my standy-by beer. I have one or two a week (and only 14 g of carbs per pop is not too bad). I think Robb Wolf is fond of the St. Peters sorghum beer.

Comment

Working...
                              X