Just not hungry?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just not hungry?

I have always been one of those people that "had" to eat every 3 hours or I would get the shakes, lose my temper, and just be plain b____y. I have been on primal for 10 days. I had too high days last weekend where I got to 1700-1800 calories but overall was doing 1200-1500 a day. The past few days, I have not even been getting or just barely getting to 1200. Today I've had about 870 and I'm sure I probably overestimated. I'm just not hungry.

Today, I made some sausage to take with me to the Co-op that we do for homeschool. I packed a lunch in case we went to the park afterward. Well, in the rush to get everyone out the door, I forgot my sausage. Normally, if I skip breakfast then I am very ill by the time it's over at noon. People know to avoid me if I hadn't eaten breakfast. Today, I was fine. I ate some lunch around noon -but got full quick and ended up grazing it all afternoon. I think it was more because it was sitting there than because I was actually hungry.

My daughter and I went on a hike so I ate that sausage patty just to make sure I didn't pass out there. Then I came home and did Mark's bodyweight workout (very scaled lol -but I was sweating and panting). I ate some dinner but ended up putting half of it in the fridge. The thought of eating makes me ill right now.

I have done South Beach before but never had this happen. I had planned on fasting or going below 50 carbs until after I had at least a few months in. I'm struggling to get the food in. I keep looking at that total of 870 and thinking I should go eat some more but I just can't stuff myself right now. Is this normal?

(BTW-I'm 5"6" -153.5 pounds/30% bodyfat-went from 157.5 to 153 from Weds to Monday and then gained 1 pound and then lost a half pound since then. I think the lack of weight change is more from having to change time of my morning weigh-in to an earlier time because my measurements are either same or slightly less. My meal plans/stats are in my journal.)
    My journal
    7/5/11 -Size 14;
    1/10/12 -Size 4

I so went through this. My journal entries from 5/23 through maybe the beginning of June show this issue. I just wasn't hungry. Because I needed to be sure I was getting sufficient zinc, I really did need to eat more even though I wasn't hungry, so for awhile, I made sure to eat breakfast even though it's not something for which I am naturally hungry.

Over time it evened out. Some days I eat more; some less.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I know! Me too! Isn't it great?

Comment

I'm going through the same exact thing. I've had about 900 calories today, and fought to finish my dinner and bring it up to about 1200. When I'm not hungry I sometimes just eat butter straight up, just to get some fat in me.

Comment

Me too!!! 2 months later, and I'm rarely ravenously hungry, even if I go several hours between meals. It still amazes me!
          Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
          Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
            I know! Me too! Isn't it great?
            No, Debbie, it isn't "great" (I've learnt that the hard way!)

I've had to force myself to eat of late too. Family arrangements have sucked of late, and my belly's gotten so used to being empty that it's probably forgotten what 'hungry' is!
            La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

I am not so sure if it's great. I have not lost anything this week but gained.
              My journal
              7/5/11 -Size 14;
              1/10/12 -Size 4

Comment

I used to be the crazy b-h if I didnt eat either, but since going Primal in April it's quite normal for me to have times where I'm just not hungry. No need to sweat it, just eat when you're hungry! As long as you're not stressed. Like Shrinking Violet said, it's not always a good thing!
                "It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

"Excuses are like asses, some are just bigger than others" Kathryn Martyn Smith

Comment

no worries on the gain...it happens and is normal, i go up and down on a regular basis, but down overall.
                  "It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

"Excuses are like asses, some are just bigger than others" Kathryn Martyn Smith

Comment

Hmmm ... well, once again, we've just proven what's good for one is not necessarily good for another. As an early stage diabetic, if I eat recommended servings of nutritious food according to the food pyramid, I could very likely have an incredible hunger in just a few hours. It was so frustrating.

Now, eating primal, even if I am hungry, the symptoms are not uncomfortable.

I am sorry this is not working for you.

good luck

Comment

AuntP, dont worry about inadequate intake. How do you feel? If you feel well and have plenty of energy, guess what? ==> You are eating enough.

On the other hand, if you feel tired, listless, or cold, then your metabolism is dialing back to compensate for inadequate intake. However, slowed metabolism in response to caloric restriction usually is accompanied by intense cravings as your body attempts to remedy the calorie deficit that caused the slowed metabolism. This does not sound like a problem in your case. Therefore.....

STOP "STRUGGLING TO GET FOOD IN!" Your body is smarter than any expert on any site (this one included) about its needs. Eat when you are hungry, stop when you are full (just make sure its the right stuff).

Post #6: "I've had to force myself to eat of late too."
                      Post #4: I've had about 900 calories today, and fought to finish my dinner and bring it up to about 1200. When I'm not hungry I sometimes just eat butter straight up, just to get some fat in me.

Why? Why are people 'fighting' to get 'enough' of anything? Ask yourself: am I having symptoms that are problematic? Am I cold or excessively tired? Am I ravenously hungry? Is my hair falling out or is my skin really dry? If you are noticing PROBLEMS then maybe you can make an argument that you are missing something.

AuntP, it sounds like you are actually feeling pretty good. So I would say that your lack of hunger is your bodies signal that it is adequately fed, not some problem to be addressed. I am interested to see how this goes. If you are consuming much less than normal and not experiencing the aforementioned symptoms of slowed metabolism with intense food cravings, I am going to guess that the reason is that your body is successfully cannibalizing your fat stores and thus does not need to eat as much. This is the recipe for effortless weight loss without loss of lean body mass, which should follow if this continues.

Comment

THanks Moby

I feel good most of the day -mornings and evenings are a bit rough still. However, I am not excessively tired. It just takes a bit to get started and then when it gets close to bedtime, I am more than ready. There is no restless insomnia these days. I have only been Primal 10 days (though a month w/o sugar) so I may be having some remnants of carb flu. My skin was feeling dry a few days ago but seems to be getting better. It coincided with temperature drop here. It's not yellow and I'm not cold. I'm actually warmer. I still look a little haggard w/circles under my eyes. Not horrible and they were there before primal so not due to primal. I try to sleep 8 hours a night too but I get up 3-4 times a night to pee (and have for over a decade). My hair is really improving! It's soft and shiny and easier to style. My mood is stabilizing. I don't lose my temper quickly anymore and not as b----y as before (with or without food lags lol). I don't have IBS issues anymore -still a little bit of evening belching with my reflux but it's much shorter and easier to handle. I am not having regular bowel movements though so that worries me. However, I don't feel constipated either. I don't think I even fart anymore LOL. I've had a cold sore this week but it is healing quicker than normal. When I ran intervals this week, I was only 5 seconds over my best time since I started a month ago so I'm not hurting in athlectics (at least not due to primal lol-I'm not that great to begin with). I was able to do the bodyweight workout and hike an hour having only had 450 calories at that point in the day. It didn't bother me at all. I am frustrated that I haven't lost any weight this week, especially after losing more than I expected last week. However, I am now at a weight that I spent a lot of time at on the way up the scale so that may have something to do with it. I'm not going to stop though -I want to do my 30 days!
                        My journal
                        7/5/11 -Size 14;
                        1/10/12 -Size 4

Comment

Working...
                        X