Pine nuts - aftertaste in everything I eat now

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pine nuts - aftertaste in everything I eat now

Has anyone else experienced this? I ate pine nuts in my salad yesterday, and I've been noticing an aftertaste with everything I eat today. At first I was a little worried, but I checked around online and found quite a few posts/articles about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_nu...ting_pine_nuts

No. That has never happened to me.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Charlotte talked about this on her blog not too long ago:

http://thegreatfitnessexperiment.blo...ch?q=pine+nuts

Comment

Huh, they never did that to me, but it's been a long time since I had them. I thought they mostly tasted like sunflower seeds, but for lots more money.

But how interesting that it seems to be a new phenomenon.

Comment

That's why I don't eat them anymore...;(
          During breakfast today, Abby asks, "How would this juicy, fat, sweet blackberry taste on top of my bacon?" I said it would taste BerrySwine...;-P

Comment

I've read about the pine mouth problem with pine nuts from China. I've never had a problem with my pignolis from Italy.
            312/149/150

Comment

YES!!! I've not been able to touch them again, which is a shame. But everything and I mean everything tasted hideously bitter! Practially ruined certain foods for me. :P

BTW - it took almost 2 weeks to completely go away.

Comment

I got a bitter aftertaste a few times after eating pine nuts, which lasted anywhere from a couple of days to a week. It turned out it happens when nuts aren't fresh, so now I check expiry dates on packages and make sure they are fresh. Oh, and I never buy any food made/grown in China anymore (some of those nuts were from there).

Comment

Originally posted by mizski View Post
                  I've read about the pine mouth problem with pine nuts from China. I've never had a problem with my pignolis from Italy.
                  I've read that, but these were pignolis from Trader Joe's. Its seriously ruining food for me right now.

Comment

Originally posted by avocado View Post
                    Huh, they never did that to me, but it's been a long time since I had them. I thought they mostly tasted like sunflower seeds, but for lots more money.

But how interesting that it seems to be a new phenomenon.
                    They don't taste like sunflower seeds to me; they have a rather sweet (and extremely moreish) flavour. This is why I can't buy 'em - they don't last 5 seconds (maybe that's why I've never noticed an aftertaste!)
                    La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

I just checked the bag - They're "Pignolis" from Trader Joe's and it reads "product of Russia and Korea." After looking around online I've seen posts from people blaming pine nuts from China and Korea.

Comment

Originally posted by barryman9000 View Post
                        I've read that, but these were pignolis from Trader Joe's.
                        Trader Joes is pretty secretive about sourcing but they get a lot from China. Check the bags of frozen veggies....the sesame crackers... I've found plenty from China. :/

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

won't touch 'em now. i had no idea what the hell was wrong w me. thank u google;-) mine were also from tj's
                          Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

I heard about this last year when I was vegetarian for a couple of months. The metallic taste when it happens is supposed to last a couple of weeks. I decided to avoid this by not eating any pine nuts.

There are a lot of nuts I prefer over pine nuts anyways so it was no biggie for me.

Comment

Just an update: I'm finally over this aftertaste thing. It took 8 days!

I'm convinced it was mainly due to quantity. I normally eat a couple in a salad or some pest, but last Wednesday I had a handful with sunflower seeds.

Comment

Working...
                              X