Would you....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you....

eat this way if you could not afford grass-fed or antibiotic free animal products and organic vegetables?
    I'm on a serious budget and can't afford the good stuff right now. An onion costs $1.65 for crying out loud!
    Some of the meals people post on here would add up to a small fortune, if eaten on a regular basis. But, the thought of eating conventionally raised meat is kind of sickening. So, is it better to do Paleo anyway you can, even if it means
    eating grocery store meat and conventionally grown vegetables?

I'd rather eat feedlot beef than cereal, bread and sugar.
    sigpic

Comment

I can't afford that stuff, but I can still stay away from wheat and other boxed crap.

Comment

I'm on a budget too. Not much you can do other than buy as much healthy stuff as you can for the cheapest price. Try purchasing some frozen veggies and beef. That's a good start.

Comment

Yes. I eat conventional meat more often than grassfed and conventional produce more than organic. I know that grassfed and organic is healthier, but meat and vegetables of any kind are healthier than grains and vegetable oils. I believe that you can get pretty much the same resuslts in body composition and health eating conventional/non-organic as compared to eating grassfed and organic. I like to support local agriculture and the sustainable practices, and I do so when I am able, but I don't sweat eating conventional foods when I can't.

Comment

Yes.

Comment

I believe that Mark says that even if you can't afford the grass-fed beef and organically grown veggies, that you are still light years ahead of the standard American diet. So I would (and do) still eat conventionally grown meat and veggies. If I come across a great deal on grass-fed meat we jump on it, we grew a number of our own veggies this summer, so I know how those have been produced, and I consider that to be a decent start in this new way of life.

Comment

Hell yes. Mark says eat the best you can. Eating organic, and grass fed beef is optimal but not required.
                "Live Free or Die"

Comment

Don't make perfect the enemy of good. Eliminate the crap and do the best you can with the rest.
                  My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

I understand where you are coming from!
                    It does cost a lot to eat organic and grass-fed in Austria. Since I am living with family again, I cannot make the demands that a full on Primal lifestyle demands.
                    Try your best and stay away from sugars, grains and over-processed food.
                    M

Comment

I believe that cattle spend most of their lives grazing. Non-grassfed ones are fattened up at the end of their lives. Meat from them is not quite as nutritious as grassfed but still good for you.

If their are no farmers' markets, by all means go economy sized frozen veg.

Are there any warehouse stores within reasonable distance from you? If so, stock up on what you can.
                      Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Hedonist View Post
                        I believe that cattle spend most of their lives grazing. Non-grassfed ones are fattened up at the end of their lives. Meat from them is not quite as nutritious as grassfed but still good for you.

If their are no farmers' markets, by all means go economy sized frozen veg.

Are there any warehouse stores within reasonable distance from you? If so, stock up on what you can.
                        I'm not sure where you're from, but this is most certainly not the case in North America. There is a reason that grocery store meat is cheap, and it's because they try to produce it as cheaply as possible. The amount of range land required for a single cow is enormous. Google "CAFO cows" to find out more. It's pretty disappointing. That is what the OP is battling with, the idea of eating meat that has been raised in this way, which differs in its nutritional profile.

Comment

Yes! My husband and I are on food stamps (government funding for food because we're that low income) and we manage to eat 100% primal, even though we can't afford to organic and grass fed/finished. If I eve feel down about the kinds of meat we have to buy, I just remind myself that once my husband gets a job and I'm no longer in grad school or "poor" we'll be stepping it up. I recommend you keep the same attitude!

Comment

I'd rather eat like the Kitavans. Sweet potatoes > crummy antibiotic meat.

Comment

Originally posted by lcme View Post
                              I'm not sure where you're from, but this is most certainly not the case in North America. There is a reason that grocery store meat is cheap, and it's because they try to produce it as cheaply as possible. The amount of range land required for a single cow is enormous. Google "CAFO cows" to find out more. It's pretty disappointing. That is what the OP is battling with, the idea of eating meat that has been raised in this way, which differs in its nutritional profile.
                              So what are the options either eat supermarket vegetables and meat (Primal) or ? Unless the OP plans to stop eating meat and veg then their is no other option. The creator of PB says to eat what you can afford. So what is the issue.
                              "Live Free or Die"

Comment

Working...
                              X