Full Carnivore?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by barryman9000 View Post
    Okinawans make a great argument against the idea that "all carbs are bad" (although I'm not sure that was Taubes' point). Considering Okinawans eat a high carb diet and are very healthy, it's hard to say that it's all about carbohydrates - as you've outlined. I can't find the article but in a post GCBC interview Taubes was saying he attributes the "bad carbs" bit more to fructose as well as refined sugar/grain as a main source of calories.

Again, I don't get this idea that because they don't have a choice, they can live on a ZC diet. Do our bodies somehow know we have a choice, but if we choose not to eat vegetables it decides we're going to be unhealthy? Do the Inuits' bodies know that there is little vegetation, and somehow decides it's going to allow them to avoid all Western diseases by eating high fat/meat or ZC?

I'm also curious what they knew that we can't begin to imagine... sounds very mysterious. How does that play a role in how their/our bodies react to eating ZC? Is this to suggest they ate something we've never seen before and that is why they could eat mostly protein and fat?
    GENTICS....
    "This theory – which is well supported by the evidence, as we’ll see – makes perfect sense when you understand the principles of epigenetics. Up until very recently, scientists believed that the affects of nurture (environment) on a species’ nature (genes) took generations to develop. Darwin’s Origin of Species taught us that evolutionary changes take place over millions of years of natural selection, not in a single lifetime. But recent work by pioneers like Dr. Lars Olov Bygren of the prestigious Karolinska Institute in Stockwholm has shown that powerful environmental triggers can bypass evolution and pass traits on in a single generation.
    Epigenetics is the study of gene activity that doesn’t involve changes to the genetic code, but still gets passed down to at least one successive generation. These inherited patterns of gene expression (known as the “epigenome”) hover above the genome and are what determine whether your genes get switched on or off, and at what intensity. This epigenetic blueprint determines what effect environmental factors like diet, stress and toxins will have on genes passed from one generation to the next."
    Get on my Level
    http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Again, I don't get this idea that because they don't have a choice, they can live on a ZC diet.
      The Inuit have thousands of years of tradition, possibly some biological adaptation and opportunities to hunt certain wild animals on their side to help them make the best of their condition, which is probably not ideal (some evidence suggests they have high rates of osteoporosis). We don't have any of that. It's probably not as simple as 'eat lots of fat'.
      I'm also curious what they knew that we can't begin to imagine... sounds very mysterious.
      We can't know what we can't begin to imagine, can we? :P
      Is this to suggest they ate something we've never seen before and that is why they could eat mostly protein and fat?
      I don't know about you, but I have never eaten, nor seen anyone eat, stomach contents, eyeballs, whale blubber etc.
      Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
      Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
      No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
      Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Comment

To the OP - you are an experiment of one. I don't see any harm in trying it - you can always reintroduce plants if you get bored or feel unwell.

As for the genetic stuff - who says the OP isn't ancestrally Inuit....?

Comment

Originally posted by muaythaimike View Post
          I actually haven't read GCBC (yet- I'm halfway through the diet delusion though) and Taubes is basically arguing that REFINED carbohydrates cause chronic disease. The studies are saying that the carbohydrate content of the US diet has GONE DOWN but disease has gone up which made people blame fats . ..
          Perhaps I don't understand, but I thought that this wasn't so. Carb intake has gone up, measured both absolutely and in its relation to fat and protein. We get a larger percentage of our calories from carbs than we used to, and we eat more carb calories than we used to.

Comment

To those that are eating carnivore or mostly meat diets, do you include any vegetables in your diet? If so, how often do you eat them, and what made you choose to include those particular veggies? I'm leaning towards going back to my instinctual preference for eating mostly meat, but I don't want to skip out on any essential nutrients.
            Thanks for your response.

Comment

Zombie thread resurrected by Paleo Goth! Jesus powers +1!

I'm mostly carnivore. I use coconut fat a lot, though! I do eat berries in season, some nutrient-dense fruits like avocado and nuts, and occasionally "supplement" with cooked weeds from my yard, seaweed, etc. If you want (as I do) to make sure you're getting everything, type your meals into a food calculator like fitday.

Try:

8 ounces of oysters, canned
              six eggs
              1/2 pound of bacon
              1/2 pound of liver
              1/2 cup of raspberries

That should just about hit it out of the ballpark for vitamins.

I do eat cooked carrots in my chicken stew, but that's probably the only starchy/carby food I eat on a semi-regular basis.
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Wow, a lot of the old carnivore club members have long since moved on. General consensus though would have been if you're going to subsist on mostly meat then make sure you include some organ meats once in a while for the nutrients. I've never returned to being mostly carnivorous over the last three years.
                http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Good for you. I've pursued and refined it.
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                    Good for you. I've pursued and refined it.
                    Me too.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76160.html

A more recent discussion of the same topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      Me too.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76160.html

A more recent discussion of the same topic.
                      Thank you!!

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                        Zombie thread resurrected by Paleo Goth! Jesus powers +1!

I'm mostly carnivore. I use coconut fat a lot, though! I do eat berries in season, some nutrient-dense fruits like avocado and nuts, and occasionally "supplement" with cooked weeds from my yard, seaweed, etc. If you want (as I do) to make sure you're getting everything, type your meals into a food calculator like fitday.

Try:

8 ounces of oysters, canned
                        six eggs
                        1/2 pound of bacon
                        1/2 pound of liver
                        1/2 cup of raspberries

That should just about hit it out of the ballpark for vitamins.

I do eat cooked carrots in my chicken stew, but that's probably the only starchy/carby food I eat on a semi-regular basis.
                        Looks, awesome, thank you!!

Comment

If just a day or two, I dont see how this is hard... eggs and bacon when you get hungry, steak for lunch and roast chicken for supper, repeat.
                          Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Comment

Working...
                          X