What about tea?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about tea?

I have been doing the Primal Diet and staying pretty close to the 80/20 rule as I can. I gave up all soft drinks on August 9th and have had only water, tea, wine, or beer. I try to keep the wine or beer to a minium but hell I can't give up all my vices. I predominately drink water but have added some good organic teas that I steep from loose tea and not the bagged supermarket varieties. I have lost 30lbs since the 1st of August and hopping onto this cool way of living.
    Last edited by biggrizzly; 09-28-2010, 10:50 AM.

Good for you... but was there a question in there? I was fooled by the title.
    The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
    Blog
    sigpic

Comment

If you're asking, tea's fine on Primal. If not, I'm glad you found some that you like.
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
      My Latest Journal

Comment

Wow thirty pounds in a couple months is very impressive. I drink green tea all day long and iced tea when I'm out. Now, we are talking unsweetened fresh brewed tea here though. Not some kind of artificially sweetened with extract of used radials here though.
        http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

I drink herbal tea all the time: - peppermint/licquorice root/fennel/ginger blend for digestion, dandelion root for detox, valerian at night to help me sleep...

I don't drink 'black' tea, though.
          La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

I drink lots of black tea, no milk. Also green tea.
            Well done on the thirty pounds mate!

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Fist View Post
              Good for you... but was there a question in there? I was fooled by the title.
              Sorry.. Yeah, I meant to ask the question again in the body, just got wrapped up in my story.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
                Wow thirty pounds in a couple months is very impressive. I drink green tea all day long and iced tea when I'm out. Now, we are talking unsweetened fresh brewed tea here though. Not some kind of artificially sweetened with extract of used radials here though.
                Your absolutely right... none of that packaged sweatened tea for me. I'm even staying away from the supermarket bagged teas which for the most part are just the dust and scraps from the good stuff.

I have slowed down the weight loss considerably in the past month. I'm losing a couple a week sticking to the plan set out in Mark's book. I've had my ups and downs since I started in August, but I'm so much happier and seem to actually had a major reduction in appetite. In the past I'd come home from work and want to eat everything in the pantry. I think a lot of that has to do with getting rid of the sweatened and artificially sweetened stuff.

So... from what I glean here, the Tea is ok (not talking about herbals as they are not actually tea). That's good because I really like the fresh loose black and green teas and am now trying a variety of other preparations of the real Teas.

Comment

Oh my goodness, I love tea. I had this one tea, Celestial Seasonings Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride. It is unsweetened but it tastes amazing - really tastes like cookies. So I jammed down a couple cups one night and got it in my head to read the ingredients. Milk thistle, roasted barley...WHAT?! I don't think barley is primal. I don't like it enough to have it pull away from my 80%. Those sneaky tea makers. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianne View Post
                    Oh my goodness, I love tea. I had this one tea, Celestial Seasonings Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride. It is unsweetened but it tastes amazing - really tastes like cookies. So I jammed down a couple cups one night and got it in my head to read the ingredients. Milk thistle, roasted barley...WHAT?! I don't think barley is primal. I don't like it enough to have it pull away from my 80%. Those sneaky tea makers. :P
                    That was an herbal and not really a tea. Tea only comes from the Camelia sinensis plant. All true teas, green, black, white, oolong and Pu' erh come from the same leaf of the same plant, just processed differently to create slightly differing tastes. I love herbals if they don't contain sugars or stuff I shouldn't have. However, I like the caffiene in the tea although we should not have it.

Comment

real tea is a real plant! in fact it is a leafy green if you really think about it!

We got some fresh mint leaves the other day, tore them up and poured hot water over them, fantastic hot tea, and great cold too...of course that is not real tea leaves, but it was great too.

As far as slowing down, 30 pounds in 8 weeks is fantasic, but you should expect your body to slow down a bit and get in a groove. We are in the same position, My 14 yr old daughter has lost 20 pounds in 6 weeks, husb 20 pounds, and I...well as usual I am slower, only 15 pounds.
                      For us we are reading back through the book and making sure we are really on target with our protien intake, we know our carbs are at 50-65 per day, and we might even juggle that around a week at a time to find that sweet spot. So we are going to be tracking a little more regularly to make sure we are on track and continue the "sheddin' o da fat"

Great job!
                      Redflame
                      Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
                      Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
                      Goal of Significant Weight Loss
                      15 pounds down! with more to go!

Comment

I drink tea every day, all day. 3-6 cups. Black or green, preferably loose. Never liked sugar or milk in my tea, so not something I really had to adjust since going primal. Can no longer have Earl Gray b/c the bergamot (citrus extract) irritates the corners of my mouth, but it's cool, plain tea has always tasted awesome to me.
                        congrats on the weight loss!!
                        Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Comment

Bagged tea vs. loose tea:

I am not sure of any difference. I took a few varieties---Twining's Irish Breakfast, assorted Bigelow teas, assorted Asian teas from the Stash catalog ----all told about twelve different teas. I broke open the tea bags and compared them to the corresponding loose teas. I found no difference in physical appearance or in taste.

Perhaps my standards and tastes aren't as refined as those of others.
                          Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Originally posted by biggrizzly View Post
                            So... from what I glean here, the Tea is ok (not talking about herbals as they are not actually tea). That's good because I really like the fresh loose black and green teas and am now trying a variety of other preparations of the real Teas.
                            Not sure if you are near any of the Baltimore Coffee & Tea Company locations. I loved trips to their shop when I lived in the Timonium area. Their tea selection is among the best I've seen and their Eastern Shore Tea Company has a lot of wonderful offerings. Fortunately, everything is available online so I can still get their products here in New England.

Originally posted by periquin View Post
                            Bagged tea vs. loose tea:

I am not sure of any difference. I took a few varieties---Twining's Irish Breakfast, assorted Bigelow teas, assorted Asian teas from the Stash catalog ----all told about twelve different teas. I broke open the tea bags and compared them to the corresponding loose teas. I found no difference in physical appearance or in taste.

Perhaps my standards and tastes aren't as refined as those of others.
                            I find there is a huge difference in taste, aroma and appearance. The tea in tea bags are the "crumbs" of the tea leaves. The brands you mention are among the best tea purveyors and their "crumbs" are of higher quality than grocery store brand teas. Still no comparison to the loose leaves though.
                            312/149/150

Comment

I wouldn't survive without tea, as along with water, it's the only thing I drink! I love white tea too, it sits better with my palate than green tea...
                              http://www.fitgirlfoodandfitness.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X