Grok in the Winter, What Did He Eat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grok in the Winter, What Did He Eat?

What did Grok eat during the winter? If he lived in a cold climate, and he did during the Ice Age, what did he eat in winter? There aren't colorful vegetables around that time of year, or even green ones. Did he save dried veggies for winter, or store a few apples and onions? I know there were plenty of game animals to be hunted all winter long, but there aren't vegetables.

Mark himself suggests eating only what is in season in our area.

Does this mean we evolved to eat dried vegetables, or meat only for months on end?

Just thinking and wondering, as I see the season beginning to change, even as I am loving all the beautiful fruit and vegetables we get at this time of year. Probably I am missing something.

I found last year that I naturally leaned toward a more carnivorous diet. I still ate some veggies on occasion- usually winter squash, onions, root veggies, but most of my diet in winter seems to be meat and eggs.

Comment

I've been thinking about this for a while. I'm convinced that Grok ate mostly meat most of the time. When fruits where in season (or he found honey) then he gorged. Vegetables were probably ate when in season or when Grok couldn't get his hands on some meat.

I've heard of Aboriginal tribes measuring things by when they were ate (i.e time of the roo, time of the croc, time of eggs, time of whatever fruit). The Inuit ate meat 9 months of the year and then ate plant matter in summer.

Anyway, a book you should look at is called Sleep, sugar and Survival. Its central hypothesis is that all our fake lighting makes our bodies think it is constantly summer and this creates carb cravings (which we indulge in like Grok would have - except Grok never had access to our level of carbs) which last all year round instead of the three months that carb cravings lasted for Grok.

Also, anecdotal evidence to be sure, but eating a mostly carnivorous diet then adding in some fruit makes your libido skyrocket. Or maybe its just spring being in the air.
      A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

During winter I poach my neighbors cats.

Nothing gets the blood flowing on a cold winter morning like a cup of hot dark chocolate and coconut milk with a big old slab of cat-bacon. Who said hunting in the city isn't possible?

Comment

As I wrote in a different thread which conserned the Sámi diet, there is not much to eat when you live north of 60th parallel (as I do). Fruits do not grow naturally this north, although strawberries are technically fruits, so berries are your only choice of sweetness from late July until October. Finns have thousands of years dug special pits on the ground to store their excess turnips and Grok might have known this technique as he probably had to dig some holes for other reasons. Sámi used a simpler version to store berries for winter time.
          Pitting and Bake-Pitting of Turnips

Comment

Meat!

It has long been thought that one of the main reasons humans spread across the world was following herds of big game - this includes crossing to America over a frozen landscape, living off of the animals they pursued.
            - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

Comment

Off the top of my head, all game hunting seasons in Iowa occur during fall, winter, or spring. And, with respect to deer, I've been told that venison doesn't taste good when hunted during months that don't contain the letter 'r' (i.e., warmer months.) It's also my understanding that wild animals have more worms and parasites during warmer weather. So, I would guess that in northern climates, Grok ate more fish and plant material during the summer and more meat during winter.

Comment

Anything he got his hands on. I wouldn't be too horribly concerned about being completely seasonal and local. You can really hurt yourself if your nutrient levels get fouled up from lack of vitamins.
                Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                My Latest Journal

Comment

As I said to friends of mine at a party on Saturday, animals are nature's way of storing up greens for the winter.

But really, stored winter veg and dried foods are probably the things to eat. If you look at a lot of hunter-gatherer peoples who live in cold climates, they have preservation techniques. For example, pemmican generally contains berries as well as fat. However, I am not planning on giving up all veggies and fruits for my winter, but I am planning on going more for the things that are produced in my area of the world and stored for the winter.
                  “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Meat in the winter, meat/veggiess/fruits in the summer...

And yeah you definitely get much hornier when you eat fruits/veggies after being VLC for a while, either SHBG function or thyroid but either way it is true. Grok probably did most of his reproduction in summer months.

Now we have all year long reproductive season !

Comment

My guess would be nuts; pecans, walnuts of all sort, hickory nuts, hazelnuts, and possibly acorns. Also many fruits and some vegetables can be stored for months in caves (or similar places with cool temperatures). This of course would be in addition to whatever game Grok could find. Seeds too.
                      ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

My Blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Cree View Post
                        Does this mean we evolved to eat dried vegetables, or meat only for months on end?
                        You've got it - not the dried vegetables but the meat bit.

Have a read of Vilhjalmur Stefansson's classic The Fat of the Land:

http://www.zerocarbage.com/library/FOTL.pdf

The surprising thing is that the mythology that plant-foods are necessary for health is still circulating despite being proved wrong again and again and again. It's just mythology. As Stefansson points out, even the medical profession (which really ought to know better) was telling people that the way to avoid scurvy is to eat fruit and vegetables. This is why Robert Falcon Scott and the members of his expedition died. Scott was a very conscientious commander and even stopped off in New Zealand for more fruit and veg. It didn't matter - before long it was no longer fresh. Fresh meat would have saved those men's lives. What matters is not whether it's meat or veg but whether it's fresh. (It should be undercooked, too.) Stored fruit and veg, biscuit, and tinned meat won't keep you alive.

Fridtjof Nansen, one of the greatest men of his age - a major figure in science, a revolutionary boat-designer, and a diplomat, as well as a brilliant explorer - stayed alive all through the winter while over-wintering after his dash for the pole. He was in perfect health with no sign of scurvy. He and his colleague had no fruit and veg at all, but they shot fresh meat for themselves.

Nansen's book Furthest North, by the way, is a brilliant book - I highly recommend it:

http://www.amazon.com/Farthest-North.../dp/0375754725

And yet, after all this, "experts" still kept repeating the same old rubbish. Stefansson, of course, knew it was all rubbish, because he'd lived with the Eskimo:

http://www.amazon.com/My-Life-Eskimo...dp/1440071209/

And that's what people would have done in the Upper Palaeolithic. There is an argument that goes something like this: they obviously did that, but it might have been necessary for them to have eaten particular body-parts. Weston Price spoke to Canadian Indians who indicated that they did:

Their knowledge of the use of different organs and tissues of the animals for providing a defense against certain of the affections of the body which we speak of as degenerative diseases was surprising. When I asked an old Indian, through an interpreter, why the Indians did not get scurvy he replied promptly that that was a white man's disease. I asked whether it was possible for the Indians to get scurvy. He replied that it was, but said that the Indians know how to prevent it and the white man does not. When asked why he did not tell the white man how, his reply was that the white man knew too much to ask the Indian anything. I then asked him if he would tell me. He said he would if the chief said he might. He went to see the chief and returned in about an hour, saying that the chief said he could tell me because I was a friend of the Indians and had come to tell the Indians not to eat the food in the white man's store. He took me by the hand and led me to a log where we both sat down. He then described how when the Indian kills a moose he opens it up and at the back of the moose just above the kidney there are what he described as two small balls in the fat. These he said the Indian would take and cut up into as many pieces as there were little and big Indians in the family and each one would eat his piece. They would eat also the walls of the second stomach. By eating these parts of the animal the Indians would keep free from scurvy, which is due to the lack of vitamin C. The Indians were getting vitamin C from the adrenal glands and organs. Modern science has very recently discovered that the adrenal glands are the richest sources of vitamin C in all animal or plant tissues.
                        http://journeytoforever.org/farm_lib...ce/price6.html

I don't know. Stefansson didn't seem to have any extra-special cuts that he ate on his all-meat diet, and he and Anderssen were just fine on it when monitored by a New York Hospital over a year as a challenge. Possibly it's not critical so long as you undercook the meat a bit. Stefansson and Anderssen did eat the marrow, which I think is also quite rich in C.

What's the relevance for us? I'm not sure. Possibly, it would be a good idea to eat somewhat less carbohydrate in the winter. Civilized man tends to live in a kind of bubble that insulates him from the "natural world" - in Erwan le Corre's phrase we're "zoo humans":

http://movnat.com/philosophy/the-zoo/

Maybe we should go with the seasons a bit. The authors of Lights Out definitely think so. You can't always be running on high-octane and probably need some kind of natural cycles and seasonal variation. They say do the fruit and booze in the summer a bit, and stay up a little later with the longer days. In the winter, get nine and a half (sic) hours sleep in - or as much as you can - and dial back on the carbs.
                        Last edited by Lewis; 09-28-2010, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                          If you look at a lot of hunter-gatherer peoples who live in cold climates, they have preservation techniques.
                          Not always that many.

For example, pemmican generally contains berries as well as fat.
                          On occasion it did, but that doesn't seem to have been the regular thing. And where they were used the berries may have been put in for European tastes - although that's not definite. (It would certainly make it more like some familiar dishes from home.)

Berries might help in preservation, as you say. The tannins in them could do that - see Imagining Head Samshed In, p. 213. However, taste is usually mentioned as the reason for including them.

Comment

I'd say that depends on what Grok we're talking about. Grok in Alaska ate different food than Grok in Egypt.

Lights Out is a great book to read for some info on seasonal eating (if that's what you're into).
                            sigpic
                            In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

mmmmm we to me winter months = pumpkin, winter squash, collardgrees, and lots meat
                              Get on my Level
                              http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X