Tumeric Supplements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tumeric Supplements

I have been considering taking a Tumeric supplement. Does anyone have any experience with these or recommendations on a brand and dosage?

I have read recommendations on the web of 400-600 milligrams per day. Some say the supplement should include piperine and/or bromelain to enhance bioavailability and absorption.

I bought Curcumin 95, by Jarrow Formulas, from the store today, but might take it back if someone has better suggestions. It just has Tumeric concentrate, but not other ingredients such as above as far as I can tell.

John,
    This could be a stupid question, but couldn't you just eat tumeric?
    It's delicious on many things....

Comment

John,
      Curry?
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
      My Latest Journal

Comment

I am not a big fan of eating curry dishes. Yes, that would probably be one way to do it. However, the supplements are basically the same thing, just tumeric spice in a capsule.

Comment

Ah. I just take mine in my cooking, so I can't make any recommendations.
          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
          My Latest Journal

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
            I have been considering taking a Tumeric supplement. Does anyone have any experience with these or recommendations on a brand and dosage?

I have read recommendations on the web of 400-600 milligrams per day. Some say the supplement should include piperine and/or bromelain to enhance bioavailability and absorption.

I bought Curcumin 95, by Jarrow Formulas, from the store today, but might take it back if someone has better suggestions. It just has Tumeric concentrate, but not other ingredients such as above as far as I can tell.

OOOHH - goody! I can help you now! Eat it - buy it as the spice and eat it! It's cheaper than buying it as a supp. I have it on EVERYTHING (well everythng savoury). It's FAR cheaper than buying it as a supplement (it's $16 for 160 caps for the brand you bought). I buy it from the grocery store for 45p (71c) for 100g. I'd like to find an organic FairTrade version, but the store where I order my groceries doesn't carry one...

I mix it in my scrambled eggs, omelettes, on my bacon & eggs, mixed in cottage cheese, tuna - you name it.

If you've got the money to burn, then go for the caps. I love the taste, so I buy the spice. Or don't you like it? Took me a while to acquire it, but I love it now!

Sarah.
            La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

I wish I liked it, but no. However, I would like the benefits of it since it seems to have many.

Comment

I bought some through Dr. Mercola a while back and have been taking it off and on. I have no idea if it is helping me in any way. It only has turmeric (700 mg), turmeric extract (curcuminoids 200 mg), and 100 mg of ginger; all organic.

http://organicindia.mercola.com/herb.../turmeric.aspx Hhis video starts right away.

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
                  I wish I liked it, but no. However, I would like the benefits of it since it seems to have many.

I've no experience of Jarrow as a brand. All the supps I buy are either Dr.'s Best or NOW. Dr.'s Best gets some excellent reviews on iHerb - which is consistent for all their products. Dr. Best's got better reviews than Jarrow, I'd go for that.
                  La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

Is it possible to buy empty capsules and just stuff them with turmeric yourself?
                    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
                    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

That is possible, but from what I have read, tumeric is hard to absorb and has to bypass the stomach with a special coating in order for it to make it to the small intestine intact.

Comment

I buy turmeric in bulk and then make my own gel caps. I take 2 or 3 large gel caps a day and have seen really pretty incredible results with it, so I know it is being absorbed and used well by my body.
                        Down almost 40 lbs. 70 to go.

Comment

Diktynna, that is what I was wondering. There were some tests done with people taking amounts over 10,000 mg, with little change in the amount absorbed noted on bloodwork. However, when combined with some piperine, absorption increased dramatically. Several websites warn against taking it alone because it is likely a waste if it is not absorbed.

Comment

I can believe it, and I also know that people eat it traditionally in not huge quantities as well (but they eat it with black pepper, green peppers and other sources of piperine...) I eat a ton of curry and Indian food, so perhaps I'm eating enough piperine, but if you aren't...perhaps encapsulating pepper with the turmeric will help? I just know that buying supplemental turmeric is incredibly expensive, and making your own isn't. :-)

I have seen a dramatic reduction in inflammation since taking it. I have rosecea and an arthritic shoulder, both of which have been drastically reduced since taking the turmeric (since January). Having gone palaeo in May hasn't hurt either :-)

Marie
                            Down almost 40 lbs. 70 to go.

Comment

I may just have to give that a try. It could be that the supplement companies are just saying that so you have to buy their product to get "proper absorption". That's what I wanted to find out.

The one other thing I am concerned with and will have to keep an eye on is how it affects my INR since I take Warfarin. Other than that, it seems like a great supplement to take.

Comment

Working...
                              X