Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Counting

Hey Folks,

I'm wondering if anyone has had trouble staying under 100 grams of carbs regularly. After breakfast and lunch I am at 90 grams.

Breakfast: 1.5 cups plain yogurt with 1/3 cup blackberries, handful of mixed nuts, and 2.5 strips of bacon

Lunch: big salad of spinach, arugula, grape tomatoes, onion, 1 strip bacon, 3 oz diced chicken breast, green pepper, carrot, and radish, and topped with 2 Tbsp low cal french dressing.

That food seems pretty reasonable. Is it mainly the berries that bump things up?

More likely it's the nuts.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

How do you know how many grams of carbs you're consuming without knowing what the major culprits are?
      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Where are you getting your nutrition information? 1/3 cup of blackberries should only be about 5 carbs your yogurt maybe 20 your nuts maybe 10 or so.

Check out your dressing. My guess is that is the culprit, just use olive oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
          How do you know how many grams of carbs you're consuming without knowing what the major culprits are?
          good point.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

From the serving sizes listed, I think you may have overestimated the carbs, unless that was one huge salad. How are you arriving at that number?

From nutritiondata:
            1/3c of berries: 5g
            1.5c yogurt: 16.5g

The nuts have some too. I don't think the salad would have too many (maybe 30 tops, unless it was really huge). Don't worry too much about hitting a specific number. As long as you're eating real food and you're feeling good, don't worry too much. That being said, it is helpful to track your food every once in a while just as a reality check.

Comment

I have not had a day that I have gone over 100 carbs, I usually stay around 50-70, but the difference in my breakfast and lunch would be skipping the yougurt in the morning, limited nuts and not every day, and "low cal french dressing" would be replaced with olive oil and vinegar, or home made full fat blue cheese dressing. "Low cal, or Low fat" means it is replaced with sugars or artificial sweetners, or starches, pastes, scums, etc.

My suggestion: Take the bacon from your salad, and fry up 2-3 more, have it with blueberries for your breakfast.
              For your salad, make a good fatty dressing, add more protien in the form of chicken, or HB egg.

Use the nuts for a snack now and then, might not be a good idea to have them daily (it stalls many people if you are looking for weight loss)
              Redflame
              Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
              Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
              Goal of Significant Weight Loss
              15 pounds down! with more to go!

Comment

You've got some bad math going on unless your salad is the size of a small car or you are eating an entire carton of berries.

I eat that, plus sweet potatoes, plus additional fruit and still come in under 100 carbs.

Re-calculate via fitday is my recommendation.

Comment

What kind of "plain" yogurt is it? Plain yogurt that is fat free can still be pretty high in carbs. Are the nuts sweetened, and how much is a handful?

The breakfast is probably what's causing it. According to fitday the yogurt, berries, and nuts (I put in 1/2 a cup for the nuts) came to about 40g carbs. I would suggest ditching the yogurt and nuts, and replacing it with half a cup of coconut milk to go with your berries.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                    exactly.

I have a hard time going over 100g a day eating primal foods, unless I eat sweet potato.
                    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

It's the berries and the nuts - and the carrot - and the fact that you had low-cal French dressing, which is essentially sugar + sugar. Ditch the dressing; use lemon and olive oil.
                      Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

EDIT: I am so sorry this is not going to come out formatted like I put it in! Numbers are Cals, fat, carb, protien, in that order

cal fat carb prot
                        Yogurt, plain cup 1.5 cup 232 5.7 25.9 19.3
                        Blueberries, raw .25 cup 21 0.1 5.3 0.3
                        Mixed nuts .25 cup 219 20.0 7.7 5.9
                        Spinach, raw 2 cup 14 0.2 2.2 1.7
                        Chicken, breast, 3 ounces 166 6.6 0.0 25.1
                        Tomatoes, grape 5 15 0.2 3.3 0.7
                        Pepper, sweet, .25 cup 7 0.1 1.7 0.3
                        Carrots, raw .25 cup 11 0.1 2.6 0.3
                        French dressing, low-calorie 2 TBL 74 4.3 9.4 0.2
                        Bacon 3.5 strips 95 7.3 .3 6.5
                        Total 854 44.5 58.3 60.3
                        Or 45% fat, 29% protien, 26% carbs

You will see your carbs are not super high,--certainly not at 90 carbs if I am guessing the right foods for what you listed (I just calculated spinach as most leafy greens are very similar) but not leaving alot of room for a alot of carbs at dinner and/or snack. Depending on what your target carbs are, you could stand to cut down in some areas, but Blueberries are certainly not the problem!

Here is what my counts would look like in a simlar meal...but my goal is substantial weight loss, so I am for 50-70 carbs a day

cal fat carb prot
                        Bacon 4 strips thick slice 260 20 .7 17.8
                        Blueberries, raw .5 cup 42 0.2 10.6 0.6
                        Spinach, raw 2 cup 14 0.2 2.2 1.7
                        Chicken, 2 thighs with skin 304 19 0 30
                        Tomatoes, grape 5 15 0.2 3.3 0.7
                        Pepper, sweet, .25 cup 7 0.1 1.7 0.3
                        Carrots, raw .25 cup 11 0.1 2.6 0.3
                        olive oil and vinegar, seasonings 2 TBL 239 27 0 0
                        total breakfast and lunch 895 66.8 21.1 51.4
                        Then add a dinner with onion, zucchini and swiss chard sauteed in bacon fat, topped with 3 sunnyside up eggs
                        daily total so far 1267 cals 96.6 fat 28.8 carb 74.3 protien
                        fat 68% protien 24% and carbs 8%

I still have room for more, as long as I am hungry....I would add some protien, as my goal would be about 100 grm protien a day, and I can have more carbs too, so on this particular day I would be fine with a hand full of nuts, or cottage cheese, a smoothie with coconut milk, almonds, cocoa and blueberries, or something like that.

Hope that helps some, its important to track now and then to make sure you are where you think you are, and adjust accordingly!
                        Redflame
                        Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
                        Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
                        Goal of Significant Weight Loss
                        15 pounds down! with more to go!

Comment

Is your yogurt full-fat? If it's low-fat or non-fat, you've traded fat for carbs.

Also be careful with some Greek yogurts. I read that some brands don't actually strain it (like Greek yogurt is usually strained) and instead they just add thickeners (think pectin, etc.) to thicken it! Hello, cup full o' carbs! Yikes!

Maybe try eating Daisy or a similar brand of sour cream in the morning...it's just...cream. Creme fraiche is great with berries too.

Comment

Looking at that, 1.5 cups of yogurt seems like a lot at one go. I'd eat more berries and less yogurt and watch the nut portion--a handful can be a lot if you are just grabbing them. I calculated out the carbs if you switch to 3/4 cup of blackberries, 1/2 cup of goat milk yogurt, and 2 tablespoons of nuts (which is lots of nuts really). Just by changing the proportions, you can drop it from the above calculated 40g of carbs to about 21g according to Fitday.
                            “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Oh, and the bun from having the name "cheese burger" bumps up your carb count as well. Maybe try Cheeseburger_Bunless. (and then, of course, someone else will tell you to lose the dairy and just go with Bunless_Burger). But seriously I'd go with lose the nuts entirely and know that conventional salad dressings are pretty much all garbage.
                              http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Working...
                              X