No announcement yet.

Advice for newbies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does (150g or even more) of fat per day sound excessive (from a newbie)?
    just can't keep the hunger away at the moment............

Comment

• Originally posted by sunshine* View Post
      does (150g or even more) of fat per day sound excessive (from a newbie)?
      just can't keep the hunger away at the moment............
      The easy answer would in general be: No. Embrace the fat!

However, not knowing your stats you could possibly aim for about 15 - 20% of your energy from protein, 70 - 75% from fat and the rest from carbohydrates. If in doubt add more fat and/or protein, almost never carbohydrate.
      Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Comment

• hey thanks Sungrazer. I am 5'11'' and about 264 pounds. I am female and i have an active job. I am also usually able to eat lots on diets and still seem to lose weight. I'm wondering if being quite muscley ( under the fat ) contributes to needing more calories.....

Comment

• Overgeneralizing here, but a 30 year old female at 5'11" weighing 264 lbs have a BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) of about 1950 kcal per day. To find your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) use the Harris Benedict Formula like this:

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:
          If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
          If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
          If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
          If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
          If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

So, let's say you are lightly active you'll need around 2600 kcal per day. Of which you want 70% to come from fat.

2600 * 70% = 1820 kcal

One gram of fat is about 9 kcal. Hence, 1820/9 = ~202 grams of fat

Then to figure out how much protein and carbohydrate you need to get:

2600 * 20 % = 520 kcal
          2600 * 10 % = 260 kcal

One gram of protein is about 4 kcal. Hence, 520/4 = 130 grams
          One gram of carbohydrate is about 4 kcal. Hence, 260/4 = ~33 grams

Now, these numbers are just guidelines and will most certainly lead to a weight loss while you still pack a few extra pounds. However, when you start to get really lean you'll need to introduce a caloric deficit. Some do it by IF'ing, others just eat a little less at each meal, or you can increase your activity level either by moving around a lot at a slow pace, or start lifting heavy.

Lastly, don't stare yourself blind on the numbers. Especially the number on the scale. If you feel OK and your trousers are frequently ending up around your ankles when you're out and about - you're doing it right.

Grok on!
          Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Comment

• Nice thread. Thanks!

I guess I'm still a newbie at 3 months, but I do have a one year stint at Drs. Eades Protein Power Diet in my background.

Anyway, I kind of think that it's a good idea to wait until we are well settled down into the PB before trying to IF. I can do it now without much problem, but doubt it would have done much more than cause a carb craving when I first started this thing.

PB makes you feel good.

Comment

• @Sun Grazer: your advice is invaluable!
              I just printed out 2 copies of you eat/don't eat list - one for the fridge so my SO might buy less food that I don't eat.
              and one copy for me to keep handy as a reminder. For instance, I wasn't aware that peppers were a bit carby.

Comment

• drive-by bump...

Comment

• Bump in the night
                  Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                  My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Cree View Post
                    Ni

PB makes you feel good.
                    It makes you feel better than good!

Comment

• thanks for your advice, Sungrazer.

Comment

• Hi PrincessGrok,
                        Have been trying to get primal right for some months now. You just might have shown me the light! I 've been constantly tracking everything that enters my mouth,fretting if it's high carb,tracking on fiday.com.

My fat loss is minimal,weight loss too! Blimey i have tears down my face,just because i feel like i'm failing.
                        Always been a big girl , lost 60+ lb 2yrs ago on a stupid shake diet,well it worked until i started eating food again,put 14lb back on immediatley after.
                        I was skinny fat . I'm a woman who excells when i feel good about myself. I just feel it's not happening,maybe i'm just stressing too much about it all! That surely must be the cw at the back of my mind.

The whole thread is opening my mind ,to just chill out.
                        I do primal workouts 3-4 times aweek ,with an instructor.

So just another stupid question about the carb flu thing.......... When i have eaten my meals ,my stomach makes a hell of a racket,as though it's hungry.
                        Is this normal,i 've had the headaches/dizzieness,Is this carb flu or just me?
                        Myself & my husband are PB ,He hasn't lost Bf or alot of weight either,so we must be doing something wrong,Grains ,dairy gone for me,splish of milk/or cream in coffee for him.Is that bad? Am i getting too hungup on this or what?
                        Thanks all for great advice .........

Comment

• Carb flu literally feels like the flu in some folks. I actually had the headaches and stuff myself. Just make absolutely sure that you're eating until you're sated. Don't just stop because you think that was a lot of food. Eat until you aren't hungry anymore. If you're doing that, and you're stomach's still making a bunch of racket, your body is likely adjusting. Remember, you're giving it everything it's been wanting for a while, and removing the crack from your diet (wheat has opioids, so you really do go through withdrawal), so it'll be mad at you for a while. stay away from the sugar, that stuff is worse than grains for some folks. As to the weight loss, some folks don't actually see it until their body's actually made the switch over from carb burning to fat burning. Keep eating true PB, don't really tinker with it yet. Once y'all've beaten the carb flu, take stock, and let your body guide you.
                          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                          My Latest Journal

Comment

• Bumpty bump!
                            Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

• Thanks naiad,
                              You truely are patient as reguards us newbies!
                              I recently did a 10 day detox which felt really good. I really want to batter my hubby as he just can 't give his sugar up in his decaff,he has up to 3 a day. Would this make a the switch impossible? He's so frustrating,but he doesn't drink alcohol decaff coffee is his only vice,mine too ,but i've switched to green lemon tea. I do understand his thoughts about it,he sayes if this is a lifestyle change it has to be a change he can live with.It must include his decaff...with 1 1/2 teas brown raw sugar.
                              We are in the uk ,is there any other coffee sweetner i can get hold of to substitute.
                              many thanks shelly

Comment

• Hi just another question!

Anyone heard of coconut sugar? As a sweetner for coffee.

I've read some info that it is low glycemic,completely natural. Derived from the sap from coconut tree. It has a glycemic index value of 35 as opposed to other sugars of values 60/65.

A good source of pottassim,magnesium,iron & zinc.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this..........

many thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X