Advice for newbies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bump
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Bump again. Let's keep this visible!
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
      My Latest Journal

Comment

Thanks for this. This was a great reminder that I need to make a conscious effort to increase the fat, not just avoid carbs.

Comment

No worries. Glad it helped.
          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
          My Latest Journal

Comment

Good grief, it keeps getting buried.
            My Latest Journal

Comment

*bump*
              Mark, could we make this a sticky?

Comment

Naiad,

Just sent Mark an email nominating this thread

Comment

Thank you SO much for this thread! Great info! I am pretty new. I find myself getting caught up in the carbs too and I know I need to look at the "bigger picture." I catch myself looking at "low-carb" recipes and products, and then at the ingredient lists, and then realizing - this is not something I need to put in my body! I think it's important to remember it's not only about quantity, but also quality.

I'm doing this for fat loss (and I think a lot of other newbies are too), but also for general health/well being and planning to stick with it.

I'm a little frustrated that fat is not coming off quicker - but that's me, impatient. I know it will happen and my body will figure out where it needs to be eventually....I hope.
                  Amanda's primal journal

Comment

Amanda,
                    It'll happen. It really is a change of thinking, so it'll take you some time. Glad to hear you're really giving a true shot. Run with it!
                    Kuno,
                    I'm honored. I'm flattered. I really hope we can get it stickied though.
                    My Latest Journal

Comment

I love this! Great job!

My simple version?

Eat real food, don't posion yourself with grains, beans or potatoes. If eating fruit keeps you from eating a bag of chips (or some other unhealthy carb laden food), eat fruit.
                      Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Me too, Sweetie.
                        It's just the ticket to improve the signal-to-noise ratio around here,
                        and it's SO well written

Comment

This was invaluable to me! Thank you!

I am another one who is reminding myself that it's not a low carb diet per sae - it's more a no grains diet, but even that is not 100% true. It's more an eat right way of life.

I'm on my third day. I've lost 4 pounds already (all bloat, actually). I really don't think I'll suffer from any carb flu - my body prefers to eat this way. I mean, every time I go low carb (I eat fairly clean - so my low carb diets are more primal than most) my body regulates perfectly and quickly. I'm not hungry, everything moves the way it should. But I've been brainwashed into believing that I cannot fuel my activities (I do some endurance things and I won't stop those) without carbs, so I eventually move the other way and go almost completely veg. Then I get bloated, gassy and irritable. Kind of makes me wonder why I thought that was healthier when my body was protesting so much. Interesting...
                          Christine
                          Wag more, bark less

Comment

this is an awesome post, thank you so much for sharing! i've been reading a lot of mark's website but sometimes i get a little confused and/or bogged down. can you break down the actual "eating" a little more? i know the basics lean meats, vegs, fruits, nuts, fat but i've also read around on other peoples food journals/etc to limit fruit and some do/don't eat dairy...

it would be nice to just have a set list of eat this not that!
                            My Primal Journey

"success is determined by
                            how you handle setbacks" - lululemon

Weekly Weigh In :
                            10/1/10 SW: 165.8

Comment

Tmac-
                              Who said anything about lean meat? Fat is good, remember? Some limit or don't do dairy because of intolerances and dietary tweaks. Some don't do fruit because, again, they're tweaking their diets and believe that cutting fructose may help them. A couple good rules of thumb: No processed foods. Eat fruits and veggies that can be eaten raw, but you don't have to eat them raw. The less refined the oil, the better. For the rest, there's probably a definitive guide to the food or topic on the blog.
                              My Latest Journal

Comment

While I think a list of "eat this, not that" is missing the point -- some people need additional help. Try this:

http://www.primalchat.com/2010/03/fr...mal-ponderers/

It includes a primal shopping list, along with some recipes, and a checklist for ensuring primal success.
                                If I don't live my dream, who will?

Comment

Working...
                                X