No announcement yet.

Advice for newbies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im confused. Why would my cholesterol n blood pressure maybe go up if this is healthy? My blood pressure already high

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiriteyes24 View Post
      Hi all! I'm a newbie!!! So, if I'm wanting to lose body fat, and I don't have to limit my fat intake? Ie : avacado, nuts etc?
      Primal makes it sound that way, but it's not really true. Please read Mark's book, especially the part about fat-burner and sugar-burner. Even if you're on Primal, you still have to watch your carb and fat gram intakes. People who have been eating high-carb for years don't know when they feel full. And nuts are definitely a no-no if you want to lose fat.
      5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

• Thank you for the newbie bullet point list. I am new to this whole primal eating and I think it's great. I started last week, but really without any direction. I have been using a paleo recipe book and to plan my meals. I joined because I want to know more about this lifestyle so I can keep at it. I have definitely been so fatigued and that's how I came across this website because I was looking for answers. Now that I have read that it's a normal, then now I'm just looking forward to continuing this primal lifestyle and reaching my weight goal.

Comment

• Great advice. Thank you.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

• Hello All!

Having just read all 439 post in the thread I am left with one quirk I just cannot understand. I have gone mostly Primal for a month and have noticed that my water consumption GREATLY affects my weightloss.

3L/day or less and I lose nothing. 4.5L/ day or more and I lose 0.2 - 2.2#s over night... consistently.

Any thoughts? Very happy with the new eating plan and all, just can't figure out the physiology and it's driving me NUTS!

Comment

• I'd guess one of two things:

1) You've an unusual metabolism and that much water is facilitating something weird

Or the MUCH more likely option

2) It's just functioning as a diuretic

If your body gets overloaded with an overabundance of water it will flush its own internal stores as a regulation mechanism.

Depending on how much you weigh now and how much you have to lose, I don't think you need to drink that much. If you're forcing yourself to drink well beyond the point of natural thirst, it's not cool. If you are that thirsty, you're that thirsty for a reason. But otherwise you're likely not shedding much actual fat with that weight.

Comment

• Reventon: Thanks for the reply!

I am sure I am not losing that much in fat, your right. And I don't think my physiology is somehow unique, just variations on a theme like everyone else, hence my confusion. I sometimes drink when I am not very thirsty, but never feel like I have to force it. I am currently 224, and aiming for 175.

When I tested Primal for a month last fall I first noticed the water dependence, and dropped 20 lbs that month. I recognize the likelyhood of flushing out inflammation and bloat, but it seems like a lot and I would have expected it to slow down after a week or two. This time, I didnt focus on hydration and lost no weight at all for 10 days. Started drinking extra water this week and have dropped 2 lbs in 3 days.

Just to clarify, your second option is that because I am providing so much water, my body flushed out what it has been holding, decreasing my % water in my body comp rather than adding to it. I can see how that would work, I think.

It will be interesting to see how long this continues.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dheis2 View Post
                  Reventon: Thanks for the reply!

I am sure I am not losing that much in fat, your right. And I don't think my physiology is somehow unique, just variations on a theme like everyone else, hence my confusion. I sometimes drink when I am not very thirsty, but never feel like I have to force it. I am currently 224, and aiming for 175.

When I tested Primal for a month last fall I first noticed the water dependence, and dropped 20 lbs that month. I recognize the likelyhood of flushing out inflammation and bloat, but it seems like a lot and I would have expected it to slow down after a week or two. This time, I didnt focus on hydration and lost no weight at all for 10 days. Started drinking extra water this week and have dropped 2 lbs in 3 days.

Just to clarify, your second option is that because I am providing so much water, my body flushed out what it has been holding, decreasing my % water in my body comp rather than adding to it. I can see how that would work, I think.

It will be interesting to see how long this continues.
                  No probs. As a better idea for what might be stalling you: Are you male or female? What's your height? What was your starting weight? Have you incorporated exercise to facilitate fat loss or is it pure dietary change so far?

Comment

• I am Male, 34 yo, 5'8" and started at 226 lbs. Currently I have only made a dietary change, I want to nail down a steady and consistent eating plan first. I will be adding exercise in about 2 weeks I expect.

All my meals are coming from 3 cookbooks, PB Quick and Easy Meals, Primal Cravings, and the Thinspire Cookbook. I am still drinking too much coffee (48 oz/day) but will cut back this week.

I feel good overall, not hungry, few cravings, but still slightly bloated (hence the coffee cutbacks) Carbs seem to be under 100g/day consistently. Any glaring issues you can see?

Comment

• I thought I should share a technique which has helped me greatly with impulse control these first few weeks for those going through rough cravings.

I created a Ulyssess contract (thx NPR for the idea), which is a simple behavioral contract to deal with impulses and addictions.

Create a simple contract with someone you trust (mine focuses on avoiding my binge foods, triggers and reducing alcohol consumption). The next step is the hardest; think of the most vile, hateful or dispicable organization you can and write them a check. Give that check to your friend. That check will be sent, by your friend, if you break the contract.

I find that when I smell my binge foods or triggers, the sense of revulsion and mild nausea at the thought of that check being sent IMMEDIATELY stops my cravings and helps keep me on track after a rough day, when my willpower is lagging.

Yes it requires self-reporting if you break the contract, but having that check just exist in the world has been enough to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Just food for thought if your like me and have been having issues.

Comment

• I'm a newbie and that line about Dinner rolls around, I also thought it was about eating dinner rolls. Wow, glad you pointed that out.
                        Originally posted by lizch View Post
                        It's taken me a couple of reads to realize that "rolls" is a verb, not a type of bread. The sentence "Dinner rolls around and you're famished? Eat!" is a little eyebrow raising when you make that mistake

Comment

• I logged onto the threads today because I was feeling a bit discouraged due to the fact that my scale was not moving too much.

I have just started following the Your Personal Paleo Code by Chris Kessler, and while I've gone low carb before, I've never given up dairy and (gasp!)alcohol too!! I expected to lose 30lbs in my first 3 weeks and that is not the case. I've only lost 7lbs. But after reading the newbie threads and the great advice and encouragement, I've decided to focus less on weight loss and more on how awesome I feel. And I do feel awesome! Thanks so much. I think I'll be throwing my scale away when I get home.

Cheers All!!

Comment

• This is a great thread, I have been following primal for 3 weeks and haven't lost an ounce in fact I have gained 4lb is this normal? I ams female 52 years of age 5'3" and currently weigh 179 aiming for 153lb. I have recently had my gall bladder out (jan 2014) would this have any bearing or am I just being impatient??
                            I eat meat and veg or salad daily at least 3 portions of fruit and exercise at least 5 times a week am I doing ok? Oh and is yogurt a good or bad addition to my diet?

Comment

• Great advice and much appreciated! I did have the carb flu for the first 2 weeks and was able to get passed it by upping my fats. It was unusual to eat so much fat, after a lifetime of being told it was so "evil." I think nothing of it now, but my husband kind of freaks out about it. I did find that I had to cut back just a little, only because my body is still adjusting to not having a gallbladder as of the beginning of this year, but still cook my eggs in bacon grease and use coconut & olive oil all the time. LOVE IT!

Comment

• I love the rabbit hole concept. I do try to keep away from analyzing too much.... :-)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
                                "I don't want to die without any scars."
                                Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...33991-sharonss

Comment

Working...
                                X