No announcement yet.

Advice for newbies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have been primal for 2 months but there are a few things that worry me.

1. Fat is fuel !! I have read it and agree, however, it is not that easy getting organic fat, and all chemicals that are fed or injected into animals, are stored in their fat. Which is why organic butter and cream is so NB. So, how do you go about finding organic duck fat, etc etc ?

2. Has anyone ever done any studies on asians and their diet ? I lived in SEA for many years, and their staple is rice, which is a grain. Very low protein. Is it a misconception that heart problems and health problems only started arising in these countries after the introduction of fast food chains ?

3. I have two daughters aged 10 and 12. They are following this with me as I feed them . However, I am battling to get carbs into my youngest as she only eats raw carrots, cucumber, peas and beans, and fruit. I cannot get other veges into her, no cooked veg, and I can't see her eating 150g of the above every day. She will definately go on strike !!

4. Is there a table somewhere , where I can work out how many carbs I am taking in ? I think I am taking too few.

Thanks in advance everyone. This is truly a journey where you need all the help you can get, and I am thankful that it is here.

I think that is all. These have been bothering me for a while.

Comment

• Thanks for this thread it's wonderful,
      I have a few questions, hopefully they haven't been answered yet, I read most of the thread but not all 38 pages.

I only just made the switch to primal eating, so I'm wondering about the early stages, mostly:

1. Is there a change in workout recovery time? I lift weights, and do HIIT / Bootcamp type workouts, and I'm wondering what to expect.

2. I feel like I've been living my life in the "carb flu" stage (groggy, low energy, terrible concentration, rarely getting a really go night's sleep, which are major reasons for the change) - has anyone who felt like that found that the carb flu stage didn't last as long? I'm not really feeling any different, but I'm wondering if this is an experience others have had. I never ate a ton of sugar anyway, but I did eat break, grains, granola, ect.

3. Re: the point about not messing with the diet at first: I'd love to keep dairy in - I've been keeping my greek yogurt and some cheese, kind of as a way to transition easier and because i'd really had a hard time cutting it. I guess what I'm wondering is if the keeping in of some dairy is considered messing with the food plan, even though many who eat primal seem to keep it in? Am I undermining myself by not cutting it initially?

Thanks so much!

Comment

• Digital-
        1. No clue. Test it and see.
        2. Many report no carb flu, many report carb flu worse than any real flu they ever had. You may be a lucky one.
        3. Primal is different from paleo in that it allows for dairy, where paleo doesn't. By all means, keep it in during your initial phase. I did.
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
        My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
          Digital-
          1. No clue. Test it and see.
          2. Many report no carb flu, many report carb flu worse than any real flu they ever had. You may be a lucky one.
          3. Primal is different from paleo in that it allows for dairy, where paleo doesn't. By all means, keep it in during your initial phase. I did.
          Great, #3 was kind of what I expected, but I wanted to double check in case it was just wishful thinking!
          And here's to hoping #2 is just that case. I guess I'll know in a week or so, it seems to happen fairly quickly for most people.

Comment

• I needed this tonight. Thanks for the great advice!

Comment

• Hi folks

I discovered this interesting form of living/eating just yesterday while visiting an eye doctor for an in depth eye exam.
              Just last month I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes,high blood pressure and high cholesterol.I am taking daily dosages of meds to control all of this but in all honesty I don't want to spend the rest of my life eating pills every day and hoping they take care of the problems.
              Since the bad news from my Dr,I have changed my life around to a small degree and I have actually lost 20 lbs but I really don't feel that this is enough.
              I know you touched on the meds issue but I guess I just want to make sure that I should continue taking my meds as perscribed and continue monitoring blood glucose levels as if I weren't doing anything out of the norm.
              I am really interested in changing my lifestyle for the better and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by railer66 View Post
                Hi folks

I discovered this interesting form of living/eating just yesterday while visiting an eye doctor for an in depth eye exam.
                Just last month I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes,high blood pressure and high cholesterol.I am taking daily dosages of meds to control all of this but in all honesty I don't want to spend the rest of my life eating pills every day and hoping they take care of the problems.
                Since the bad news from my Dr,I have changed my life around to a small degree and I have actually lost 20 lbs but I really don't feel that this is enough.
                I know you touched on the meds issue but I guess I just want to make sure that I should continue taking my meds as perscribed and continue monitoring blood glucose levels as if I weren't doing anything out of the norm.
                I am really interested in changing my lifestyle for the better and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
                Going paleo or primal can partially or fully reverse the effects of type II diabetes. Good luck with living healthy.
                Fitness Wayne | Paleo Health, Exercise and Weight Loss Blog
                Fitness Wayne Facebook Page

Comment

• Originally posted by lizch View Post
                  It's taken me a couple of reads to realize that "rolls" is a verb, not a type of bread. The sentence "Dinner rolls around and you're famished? Eat!" is a little eyebrow raising when you make that mistake
                  I had a image of hot rolls and butter dancing in my head...lol

Comment

• Thanks for the advice! Very much appreciated! Very useful!

Comment

• This is a great thread, thank you. I still have a question that I can't find an answer to by doing a search. I hope this is the right place to post it.

My question is in reference to #7) Eat when you're hungry, don't if you're not. I understand this concept and recognize that Primal doesn't care too much about caloric intake. My problem is that I am very rarely hungry. I suspect that if I only ate when I was hungry, my caloric intake would be really really low. As it is now, I eat when I think I ought to because it has been awhile or when my energy begins lagging. Eating this way I am still only consuming around 800 calories a day. I am losing weight at a rate of 1.5-2.0 pounds per week and have a BMI of 25. Still have weight to lose. I am mostly sedentary, but i walk at least 20 minutes a day and have definitely incorporated more intentional movement into my day. I am looking for some guidance here.

I have been eating clean for at least 3 months. I wasn't Primal, therefore my animal protein and fat consumption was quite low. I was still eating oats and quinoa until 6 weeks ago when I discovered PB. Six weeks ago I very happily began eating animal proteins, quit paying attention to fat content, and dropped the rest of the grains. My daily averages are 54% (49g) fat, 26% (68g) carbs, and 20% (40g) protein.

I guess ultimately my question is should I really wait to eat until I am hungry? I suspect it would be awhile. Should I just keep doing what I am? Is the lags in energy I feel sometimes hunger? I am looking for growling and hollow. I have been hungry before, so I do know what it feels like, but not since I went Primal. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks,
                      Shelley

Comment

• You don't necessarily need growling and hollow. So long as it's beyond snacky and what you want is primal, I'd say go for it. That said, do what works for you. If waiting until you're hungry doesn't work, or your hunger cues are off, by all means, stick to a set schedule.
                        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                        My Latest Journal

Comment

• Thanks for the response and reassurance. I will just keep doing what I am until it doesn't work anymore. Maybe I am just really efficient at burning fat and am living off myself. Certainly have enough of that to sustain me.

Comment

• Originally posted by TATER1000 View Post
                            I had a image of hot rolls and butter dancing in my head...lol
                            Me too. I thought I had misunderstood the plan. That an occasional roll was consistent with Paleo. !!!

Comment

• Ah ha! Just found this thread too. Thank you... and sorry for asking so many questions that have clearly been asked a bazillion time before.

Comment

• I am only 3 weeks in, happy to be here! Sorry if these questions have been answered already...

I am being very good, only whole foods, haven't touched any wheat, grains or processed foods since I began. I'm eating a ton of good fats, etc etc...

2 questions:

1. Is it possible to eat too much fat? I can't seem to eat enough protein for a 50/30/20 split. I'm more often 65/20/15 (carbs between 50 - 80 grams)

2. I have a habit of wanting something sweet late at night. Most nights I will have 1-2 squares of 70-80% dark chocolate.
                                Is this going to slow my fat loss?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X