Advice for newbies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KotikBegemotik
    I just (read: four days) started PB. For kicks and giggles and support, my dad is joining me for 30 days. My mom, on the other hand, is a carb lover and our house is stocked with pie, cake, cookies, chips, breads, and all sorts of non-PB delights. In the meantime, my dad and I amble on over to the refrigerator or the pantry, open the door and just stare in a dazed way at the non-PB-friendly stuff. It's so frustrating! Even the bananas are calling to me with their siren song. I attempted a primal unsweetened dessert replacement (I have a mean sweet tooth and I need an okay way to silence it). How does anyone get past these crazy carb cravings?
    Congrats on starting I am very new to this as well (day 10) so take my thoughts with a pinch of salt! What is working for me is to avoid sweet things when I get a sweet/carb craving and eat fat instead. I messed up yesterday and ate some dates and nuts and they just made the cravings worse. Fried up some sardines with tomatoes & onion in butter and the cravings were fixed.
    Plenty of fat with your meals really really helps. Are you having dairy? Days I have needed a little something extra, a mug of chai with a splash of cream has been great. Or a bowl of berries with a few flaked almonds, a square of dark choc broken over the top and some heavy cream has been an amazing treat. Yum! I need to get some coconut oil as I think that is another fab way to add the fat.
    I usually have a really really sweet tooth but feeding any cravings with fat have meant I haven't been tempted even when folk around me are eating biscuits, cookies, cake etc.

ETA: THANK YOU! for this thread. I am reading lots and lots atm and I read the whole of this thread yesterday. A fantastic resource for us newbies! xxx
    Bee
    Newly primal mama. Taking my family along on the walk to a healthy, strong and happy primal life.
    Losing fat, building strength, having fun.
    My journal is here (please ignore my excessive use of exclamation points and smilies, I just can't help myself! )

Comment

• ETA: THANK YOU! for this thread. I am reading lots and lots atm and I read the whole of this thread yesterday. A fantastic resource for us newbies! xxx
      All I did was make a thread I wish had been around when I was a n00b. Glad it helps!
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
      My Latest Journal

Comment

• Today was 2 weeks doing PB...and I've had the carb flu pretty serious but I think I'm starting to get past it. Thanks for the the thread, been helpful for a newb like me.

My Primal Blueprint success story. 60+lbs lost:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post531337
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post531340

Journal:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36329.html

Comment

• Wow this is great I copied out the first list you put up, NaiadKnight. I have it it hanging in my wall locker till I get a bit more comfy doing this on my own.. I'll have to share this with a couple others that just started the primal blueprint as well.

Comment

• Hi, I'm very pleased to be participating as part of this forum.

Comment

• I'm honored by that, lude. I really am. If it makes primal that much easier, go for it!
              Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
              My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Tawny View Post
                As a newbie and one who posted a question about IF'ing this morning, thank you for this information.

I am a way-of-lifer, in that I've been working on improving my eating patterns over the last 4 years. But Primal may or may not be where I end up. I suspect that it will be, though, because it seems to fit the best with what my own needs are. I think there's a big difference between people who eat a SAD and come to primal and those who already try to eat close to the earth most of the time and then come to primal. But the difference isn't in being able to skip the basics, it's more in how our bodies respond to primal eating.

I have not experienced a carb flu, the way it's been described in some posts. I had a few days of decreased mental clarity and some dizziness, but it passed. I can be perfectly patient and wait before trying to IF, etc. But I have read posts from people who consider not eating from dinner until lunch the next day an IF. I'm trying to balance out that idea with "don't eat if you're not hungry". Except that the first time I did that, I ended up binging on carbs. I have since corrected, by adding more fat. But if eating breakfast even if I'm not really hungry will prevent the carb cravings until my body switches over to primarily fat burning, then that's what I should do - but that would be eating even if I'm not hungry...maybe I'm trying to be too precise.

Or maybe my question needs to be, "what are some of the ways you knew your body was ready to move from an eating plan based on external cues (it's noon, time for lunch) to one based on internal cues?"
                I think breakfast is the one meal you should always eat even if you aren't hungry

Comment

• I am a newbie and a type 1 diabetic. Any type 1s out there with advice for me?

So far my experience has been that I need a lot less insulin (down from ~40u a day to maybe 20). However, for the past few days I have been eating >20g carb total for the day and I keep having higher blood sugar readings. I have only taken insulin to correct the readings because if I take insulin before I eat like I used to with carbs, my blood sugar will go too low.

Is it the protein? I have read that ~40% of protein will be converted to glucose in the body and that we have to cover that conversion with insulin. The only problem is that I have rapid acting insulin for my meals and it's a little too rapid for protein, because that can take hours to affect my blood sugar. But I don't know, maybe it's converting more rapidly due to the low carb intake?

I don't want high blood sugar anymore, which is why I stopped eating high carb to begin with. I don't believe there are too many type 1s on the forum, but if anyone knows what I can do, please send me some advice
                  Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
                  Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
                  More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
                  LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
                  Play more!

Comment

• How much of a hindrance will birth control pills be? I haven't lost many lbs, but I have lost inches in a month eating PB. I'm not quitting, and I've examined my relationship with dairy a bit...but I don't see myself coming off the pills, and I can't imagine it will be THE thing that holds me back from losing weight. I know it's not great, but I'm really not sure I can handle being off them (it's not so much for BC but for rather vicious, unpredictable cycles). *worried*

Comment

• I'm on them. They don't seem to have affected weight loss for me (down to a healthy 20-22% body fat.) YMMV, but for MOST people, the pills don't cause enough of a weight loss issue to be a justifiable worry.
                      As to losing inches, but not weight, that happens with most women, from what I can tell. The female body reacts differently to Primal than the male body. I have two theories on this, of which both, either, or neither may be correct:
                      1) finally given the nourishment it needs, it reacts by shifting fat cells from emergency (famine) supply areas to fertility areas, because you're shifting from being in what your body perceives as a time of famine to a time where babies might be able to survive.
                      2) With better nourishment and more movement, more of the energy is going towards your muscles, as opposed to the fat cells. You're building muscle as you lose fat, and a certain mass of muscle is sleeker and thinner than the same mass fat fat. Hence, you're losing inches, but not pounds.
                      Either way, you gotta give it time.
                      Also, one thing I've seen with most women is that we tend to set unrealistic weight goals. I have no way to know if that's your case, but take that under consideration as well. Go by what you see in the mirror and how your clothes fit, as opposed to the scale. The scale lies.
                      My Latest Journal

Comment

• Thanks, naiad - I'm totally prepared to give it time. I also build muscle like crazy so I'm sure that the scale isn't moving for that very reason (last night in yoga, I saw a new angle in my calf muscles, like, holy wow). I just know homeostasis for me is NOT at this weight. I have almost certainly lost 3.5-4.5 inches in my waist this month (I think my cycle has pushed it back up a tad), and for me that IS more important. I just want to get rid of my period already so I can see what I am like on the other side of it, now that a month has passed.

ETA: I don't think my BC pills really have much of an effect on my weight though. My smarmy-jerk doctor told me I would gain weight when I started them, but I remained the exact same weight for 3 years. I've put on extra weight in the last 6 months or so but that was due to my own issues, and not the pills. I just wanted to check, so thanks again for the affirmation.

Comment

• Good luck with that "smarmy-jerk doctor". I've had my fair share of those...they think they know it all and they know nothing! They *should* remember that everyone's body reacts differently to different medications. The rest of my family can function normally on Vicodin - I cannot. And other doctors didn't want to put me on the pill cuz they were soooo sure my blood pressure would go up - they were wrong. It never did when I was younger and when I found someone willing to work with me and regularly check my BP - it never went up. Wow! Imagine that! Ha! To hell with doctors who are not open minded. Those that won't do what I want/need, I'll go elsewhere and I have! I am a much happier health consumer now.
                          sigpic My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

Comment

• Hi Sungrazer - thanks for these calculations but as a complete newbie, what I'm struggling with is knowing how many grams of fat, protein or carbs are in everything I'm eating - how do you calculate that? How do I know whether I'm eating too much or too little of something?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lizette2011 View Post
                              Hi Sungrazer - thanks for these calculations but as a complete newbie, what I'm struggling with is knowing how many grams of fat, protein or carbs are in everything I'm eating - how do you calculate that?
                              To do that kind of counting you need a kitchen scale and an online calorie counter tool. Weigh your food and plug the numbers into a calorie counter tool. There are numerous around, and I am not sure which one is preferred by the English speaking world. I used a Norwegian site - which is in Norwegian obviously. To quote naiadknight:

Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                              Run it through daily plate or fitday or chron-o-meter or sparkpeople. If you feel good and fat is the majority of your calories, you're doin' good. It varies person to person, even day to day. Run a typical day through one of those, see how your numbers come out. If you're at 50% or over, go by how you're feeling.
                              Weigh whatever your are eating, check the online calorie counter webpage and write up the amount of fat, protein and carbs. It will be a gruelling task, and I only used it in the beginning to see where I was at. Now with the way I eat I usually end up in the range of 65% fat / 25% protein / 10% carbohydrate range.

Originally posted by Lizette2011 View Post
                              How do I know whether I'm eating too much or too little of something?
                              Stick to the acceptable foods and eat until you are full. Unless you want to become über ripped you don't have to count a single calorie, a single gram of fat, protein or carbohydrate for the rest of your life. Stick to meat, fish, poultry, eggs, a bit of berries and nuts and a lot of fresh produce. Stay away from prepackaged, preprocessed shit. Caveat though: You may need to heal your body first to get the desired effect. You may have underlying problems causing you to have problems getting well.

I consider PB to be more of a way to get healthy after abusing my body for many years. Not a crash diet to lose some weight. Follow the guidelines and grok on, it is all it takes. It is as easy and as difficult as that.

Good luck!
                              Last edited by Sungrazer; 03-18-2011, 02:49 PM.
                              Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Comment

• What do you use for sauces? Any ideas for substituting ketchup and sugar free syrup - my 2 favorites?

How do you get in so much fat with so little protein?

Do you suggest eating little to no nuts and fruit until you reach your goal weight?

Comment

Working...
                                X