No announcement yet.

Advice for newbies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know that we need to actually keep bumping this, now that Mark's made a sticky with links to this and the other newbie related threads. I'm not saying you have to stop, just giving a head's up that it may not be necessary.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

• how high does your colesterol acutually go up while eating primal?

Comment

• Originally posted by soul74 View Post
        how high does your colesterol acutually go up while eating primal?
        It may, it may not. Mine went up 20 pts, but I had high cholesterol anyways. If you are concerned abt cholesterol levels, have a look at Griff's Cholesterol Primer and the book Good Calories, Bad Calories. Total Cholesterol is a useless number unless it's put in correlation to other numbers.
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
        My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by lizch View Post
          It's taken me a couple of reads to realize that "rolls" is a verb, not a type of bread. The sentence "Dinner rolls around and you're famished? Eat!" is a little eyebrow raising when you make that mistake
          I had that exact same problem! I was so confused especially since I'm still kind of new... haha

Comment

• newbie advice

O.k I've only been at it since Saturday, I havnt had time to reads loads on here as I'm busy running my own online business.
            so forgive me if these are old questions.
            I have been feeeling dreadfully sick and feeling as though all my food is stuck. I do get this when I change my diet. I also am on loads of prescription drugs including Losec. I presume the nausea is is due to the drastic change in diet?

I use soya milk and drink barleycup a grain coffee substitute. I presume these are no longer allowed?

I feel better today though and have digested my meals o.k

yesterday I felt so ill I had a bowl of cereal.it was like having drugs (I presume,I've never done drugs!).

It will be slowly but surely but if it helps my Fibromyalgia and I can get rid of my apple shaped middle and reduce my meds then great! I've eaten out twice this week and found it very easy-

Comment

• 1) yes, it's because your body is shifting from carb burning to fat burning. If you get nausea when you change your diet, I'd assume the same here, as well.
              2) soy and barley are bad. If you still want milk, go with almond milk or heavy whipping cream. If you still want something coffee like, try rooibos tea or chicory coffee.
              3) Grains produce opioids in the body, hence the "drug" effect ofthe cereal.
              My Latest Journal

Comment

• Everything Naiadknight said, plus if you make an abrupt transition to much more fat it may take your body a few days to get used to the idea. Oh, and if you like actual coffee, it's not verboten.

Comment

• Thanks for the replies. i'm working on drinking Black decaf and I drink Rooibosh tea nayway but I'll have to quit the soya.

next daft question- is goats yogurt counted a dairy? I've always thought dairy applied specificcally to cows. I cant tolerate dairy appart from cheese so I use goats yogurt.I like a smoothie for breakfast with Added Chia and pumpkin seeds but I use goats yogurt and was using soya milk to dilute it.I'll invest in some almond milk.

Comment

• Yes, it's 'dairy', but lots of people do tolerate it better than cow's milk.

I have yoghourt + water in my morning smoothies; you could try that, or why not goat's milk?

Comment

• Wonderful thread... I just got the PB book in the mail over Christmas break and I'm glad I was able to find this. Once I've completed the book and looked through a lot of the forums, I'm going to go Primal.

I'm so excited about my upcoming transformation.

Comment

• Question re: Carb Flu. Is it possible to not get flu-like symptoms? I've always enjoyed pastas and other junk..but I've been feeling almost fantastic! I've been doing this since Dec 28th or so (with the exception of New Year's Eve for some Sparkling Grape Juice - and did feel sluggish for about 24 hours after I re-injected "carb-drugs").

I also had a very odd bowel movement where I felt like everything "emptied-out" of me although in a rather normal - just a rather mass quantity (sorry I know this is a bit TMI). I assume this might be "my version" of the Carb Flu? Thanks folks!!!! And boy do I have lots of reading to do on PB! :-)
                        sigpic My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

Comment

• Jen, it's quite possible.
                          My Latest Journal

Comment

• Well I had chili w/ cheese last night and got a LOT of sleep, though it wasn't very sound. Made bacon and eggs with cheese for breakfast...yum. I can't believe I ate a whole POUND of bacon. I'm not "full" but I don't feel hungry so that I think is a good sign. :-) Off to the store shortly for a few groceries - I will need more eggs I think to get through the week.
                            sigpic My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

Comment

• BUMP--- It's a new year and all.....

Comment

• One instance at a time. DARK chocolate is ok, there are plenty of primal desserts out there (including a mean chocolate chip cookie recipe). Google "elana's kitchen" or "primal desserts", as well as "son of Grok" or "paleo treats" for some ideas.
                                My Latest Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X