No announcement yet.

Advice for newbies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As a n00b, I recommend bookmarking or subscribing to this thread to find it quickly and easily in future.

Thanks for sane and sage advice.
    My journal

Comment

• Bump
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
      My Latest Journal

Comment

• another newbie question.....i have been 3 weeks 100% primal. At the weekend i drank alcohol, lots of alcohol, which i haven't done (at all) in at least six months. This led me to eat bread and icecream and a croissant the next day. i didn't really enjoy it. I don't feel any ill affects BUT i was wondering if this carb cheat is now the reason i am starving tonight? Is it possible that in the past 3 weeks, my body had adjusted somewhat to burning fat as fuel and now i have gone and stuffed it all up and confused my body by eaing carbs?
        Or maybe i haven't eaten enough today?
        i appreciate any replies

Comment

• Originally posted by sunshine* View Post
          another newbie question..... Is it possible that in the past 3 weeks, my body had adjusted somewhat to burning fat as fuel and now i have gone and stuffed it all up and confused my body by eaing carbs?
          Or maybe i haven't eaten enough today?
          i appreciate any replies
          There will be no permanent damage, just get back on the wagon and you will reset your metabolism...

Comment

• Bump
            Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

• bumpbumpbump
              Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
              My Latest Journal

Comment

• Thank lots for this thread!

Just jumped into the paleo diet about a week and a half ago (signed up yesterday on the forum). I think I might be experiencing the carb flu (though there's no list of symptoms)- I experienced a vicious headache that I've never had before - knocked me on my ass for an hour before I could get home and take a two hour nap. Then is disappeared. :O

At least now I know that there's a little bit of crap to wade through to get golden. Thanks for preparing me for that!

Do yourself a favor and become your own savior.
                Congenital Hypothyroid
                CW: 225lbs SW: 245lbs

Comment

• Yep, that's carb flu.
                  My Latest Journal

Comment

• Thanks SOO much for this thread!! I'm a week-newbie converter over from pure vegan living... I'm talking living off of only potatoes, beans, rice, and fruit. (Over the summer I was eating five potatoes daily just to survive)

So yea. Carb-flu hit me hard. I lasted six days (dropped four pounds) but caved when my dad and I went to a buffet. And then caved again.

I use to be anorexic and bulimic and overcame that by cutting out meat, dairy, corn, sugar, and any kind of processed food. I stopped having cravings, but I couldn't lose weight, started getting terrible acne, heart palpitations, chest pains, dysguesia, dandruff, rashes, chronic eye irritations, joint pain, muscle pain, tinnitus, abnormal periods, abnormal hair growth...

I felt like crap ALL the time. And the sucky part was that none of my 'sick' feelings were enough to prompt a doctor's visit. They were just common ailments that everyone experienced. F*&# that. I wanted to be healthy and everything I read told me that my diet was golden.

THANK GOD for Mark Sisson! Blowing CW out of the water, once I ate that first piece of chicken I felt NORMAL. Like, after 10 long years, it was finally ok to eat meat. To eat fat. But then I started to read the forums and I got worried..

All the tracking, and the counting, and the restricting, and the 'guilty/prideful' feelings made me feel like OMG. It's just another world of eating disorder, and if I don't defy it I'll fall back into bulimia!! Hence the buffet meals. Sorry to write so much, but I just wanted to point out that I'm SOOOOO glad all of you are saying take it easy, don't track it so much, doesn't have to be organic because as a neurotic newbie who fell of the wagon today...I needed some support from the people who've been there.

(esp you Malpaz! I've read you're blog! You're incredible!)

Comment

• Some of the things I read here are wrong and fascist. Yeah, primal blueprint for some people is like a religion. The more strict, the better. I know many people who started this diet using "poison" like potatoes and couldn't do that without them. They just have done what was possible long-term. So good they didn't hear from some of the fascist here because they would not succeed. Some of the advice is definitely NOT helpful.
                      We can find somefanatics posting that all carbs are poison. So bad Mark can't read all the posts, that could be a big hit to his health...
                      Not everyone can afford ultra-tasty delicious primal food, so be empathetic, not fascist. Thanks
                      Last edited by C2H5OH; 11-03-2010, 03:53 PM.
                      I will be normal. I will be NORMAL again
                      Yeah!

Comment

• Originally posted by lizch View Post
                        It's taken me a couple of reads to realize that "rolls" is a verb, not a type of bread. The sentence "Dinner rolls around and you're famished? Eat!" is a little eyebrow raising when you make that mistake
                        I noticed that... =)

Comment

• I'm on the boat with reading rolls as a noun. Thought it was very odd. Also, carb flu seems to have lifted a bit, still tired somewhat.

Do yourself a favor and become your own savior.
                          Congenital Hypothyroid
                          CW: 225lbs SW: 245lbs

Comment

• I see no fascists here

Some folks do well and are comforted by tracking, checking numbers, so on. The kind of people who like to follow recipes.
                            Others (I put myself here) try to work by intuition, testing things out, a bit of this and that, here and there. The kind of people who read a recipe book, forget most of it, and throw some things in a pot "just because".

Each approach will drive the other kind of person absolutely barking mad!

I guess what I'm saying is that the numbers and the technical bits can be VERY useful tools - if you want them

(And to think I only came here for a bit of bumping action )

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
                              (And to think I only came here for a bit of bumping action )
                              I'm all for some humping action. Oh, you said bumping. Never mind me. Carry along.

*bump*
                              Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sungrazer View Post
                                I'm all for some humping action. Oh, you said bumping. Never mind me. Carry along.

*bump*
                                doin the humpty-bump

Comment

Working...
                                X