Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need to go VLC for a bit - I could use some support/help/assistance - please...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I need to go VLC for a bit - I could use some support/help/assistance - please...?

    My body's obviously trying to tell me something, and I'm trying to figure out what that 'something' is. Eliminated tomatoes, that was easy. Now I want to cut down on my carbs.

    At John Turner's suggestion, I've signed up to the daily plate. I entered my stats (age/height/weight) and apparently, in order to maintain my weight at 119lbs, my daily calorie allowance has to be just 725kcals!

    I'd like to know how they calculate that preposterously low figure; I mean if I calculate my BMR, it comes out at 1,266kcals (before any harris/benedict adjustment, which I leave at 1.2, giving me 1,582). Now I'm told I have to consume less than half that, or I'll gain...?!

    Anyway this isn't about pounds, it's about inches, and losing the 6 which have mysteriously crept onto my body over the past 3 weeks (2 on my chest, 2 on my waist, 2 on my hips).

    So what do you reckon I should aim for as a ballpark figure? I have PCOS, which is my reasoning for wanting to VLC and see if it makes a difference.

    There's just one problem here: - I'm not sure I could maintain a VLC WOE forever. I just want to get the balance right. The high fat dairy's going to have to go, too (and by that I mean the double cream and full fat creme fraiche).

    I'll be combining this with IF and, whilst I don't want to 'crash diet', I'd like to see fairly quick results, or I'm going to become demoralised (I'm stressing about this enough as it is, hence my post re cortisol).

    Thank you very much

    Sarah
    La tristesse durera toujours...

  • #2
    I would call bullshit---but I drank bleach last week ;-)

    I entered your stats into DailyPlate, and got a recommendation of 1,683 cals per day.
    You're welcome.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi Sarah,

      That level of calories for maintenance seems so low that I fear daily plate made an error.

      I've just entered your stats (age, recent weight, height, BF%) into Lyle McDonald's caloric need calculator. I used the *highest* percentage of body fat you mentioned you might be from online calculations and even specified an activity level of sedentary. The calculator said you need 1220 calories per day for maintenance. If you're even "lightly active" the caloric needs go up to 1309.

      I would not trust that 725 figure from daily plate.

      VLC has its nice points. It makes shopping and meal prep simpler. It diminishes your hunger wonderfully. You may be lucky and find you love VLC.

      Comment


      • #4
        Eat woman. Your body needs nutrition.
        Adding minerals wherever I can.

        Comment


        • #5
          There is such a thing as eating too little. Keep in mind the power of positive thinking. I don't want to sound like Tony Robbins here, but the mind is a powerful thing. Check out the documentary - "What the $@#% Do We Know?"
          sigpicGustofson on Health - " I eat bacon, a whole damn plate!"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by liss View Post
            Hi Sarah,

            That level of calories for maintenance seems so low that I fear daily plate made an error.

            I've just entered your stats (age, recent weight, height, BF%) into Lyle McDonald's caloric need calculator. I used the *highest* percentage of body fat you mentioned you might be from online calculations and even specified an activity level of sedentary. The calculator said you need 1220 calories per day for maintenance. If you're even "lightly active" the caloric needs go up to 1309.

            I would not trust that 725 figure from daily plate.

            VLC has its nice points. It makes shopping and meal prep simpler. It diminishes your hunger wonderfully. You may be lucky and find you love VLC.
            I hope so because I'm sure as f*ck not loving how I feel right now... Just wish I could find answers to what's happening to my body. Even if I did have a doc, and I told them my diet, they'd go "well no wonder - you're killing yourself with all that saturated fat!" - or something...

            I ache all over, I need to go get food, but I can't because I can barely move (if I had a laptop, I'd be typing this in bed...). Scales had me at exactly 119 this morning, and I've been around that (with fluid retention and hormonal blips) since I started primal. When I began, I was a size 2. Now, apparently, for no reason I can see I'm a size 4.

            I IF because I've become terrified of becoming any larger. I need someone who can provide me answers. I don't know whether it's what I'm eating or what I'm taking (supplement wise).

            I have PCOS, like I've said, and that's always made me paranoid about gaining.

            Sorry, but you know I tell it like it is...
            La tristesse durera toujours...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Xfitter View Post
              There is such a thing as eating too little. Keep in mind the power of positive thinking. I don't want to sound like Tony Robbins here, but the mind is a powerful thing. Check out the documentary - "What the $@#% Do We Know?"

              So you're telling me these inches are all in my head (funny how my body would disagree with that) and that I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't...?
              La tristesse durera toujours...

              Comment


              • #8
                I don't keep careful track of everyone's posts, but didn't you just go on a huge drinking binge a few days ago? How about you stop drinking your calories in nutritionally void alcohol and eat some real food instead?

                Comment


                • #9
                  i doubt you need to VLC. you started about the same time as me. that's been 4 weeks - seriously give it a chance!! your body hasn't had time to react to what you are doing to it -

                  And stop the IF'ing!!

                  Do another 4 weeks of perfect, 50-75g of carbs, limited dairy, plenty meats, vegetables and no sugar or grain.

                  THEN tell us it's not working. your body needs more time to heal and adjust - you are confusing it at the moment with IFing, some carbs, then VLC...
                  Scottish Sarah

                  Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

                  Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
                  **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    S_V,
                    I'd say that before you start tinkering, you try to give Primal Original (as in no tinkering, Mark's direct advice, yadayadayada) a true shot. 3 weeks does not constitute a true shot. VLC can actually cause more harm than good if you don't watch your nutrient intake. Especially if you're already having trouble following a "standard" Primal diet.
                    725 kcal? I call bullshit. You may have accidentally had a typo or something, but I've never seen it give anything that low, even with the the 1000 cal subtraction for their most accelerated weight loss category. I've never seen it go below 1200. I'd agree more with Kuno in this case.
                    I know you're trying to hurry it up with the weight loss and such, but you gotta give it time. PB, as great as it is, does not work miracles quite as quickly as overnight. I've seen you say that patience is not your strong suit, but I'm dead serious: you gotta give it time. You have to give your body time to adjust and give it time to stop trying to compensate for what it thinks is a starvation time.
                    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                    My Latest Journal

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by dragonmamma View Post
                      I don't keep careful track of everyone's posts, but didn't you just go on a huge drinking binge a few days ago? How about you stop drinking your calories in nutritionally void alcohol and eat some real food instead?

                      If you call 1 125ml glass of kir a "huge binge" then, yes, I'm guilty as charged... It must be all of 150 calories - oh my! Whatever am I to do...? I've poisoned myself!!

                      If you think that's sarky it's because I'm fed up, frustrated and grumpy!

                      Sarah
                      La tristesse durera toujours...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        first you ask about IF.
                        now you're asking about VLC.

                        you are trying all these different tricks and you don't even have the *eating* part together yet.

                        you are trying to do too much at once and you're not going to get anything out of it if you continue.

                        focus on the eating part first. meat, fat, and whatever vegetables you can stomach, because i know you have issues with a lot of em.

                        stop worrying about your weight.
                        stop worrying about what clothing size you wear.
                        do not touch a calorie tracker.
                        focus on getting healthy.
                        Last edited by batty; 09-27-2010, 06:13 AM.
                        sigpic

                        HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                          S_V,
                          I'd say that before you start tinkering, you try to give Primal Original (as in no tinkering, Mark's direct advice, yadayadayada) a true shot. 3 weeks does not constitute a true shot. VLC can actually cause more harm than good if you don't watch your nutrient intake. Especially if you're already having trouble following a "standard" Primal diet.
                          725 kcal? I call bullshit. You may have accidentally had a typo or something, but I've never seen it give anything that low, even with the the 1000 cal subtraction for their most accelerated weight loss category. I've never seen it go below 1200. I'd agree more with Kuno in this case.
                          I know you're trying to hurry it up with the weight loss and such, but you gotta give it time. PB, as great as it is, does not work miracles quite as quickly as overnight. I've seen you say that patience is not your strong suit, but I'm dead serious: you gotta give it time. You have to give your body time to adjust and give it time to stop trying to compensate for what it thinks is a starvation time.
                          +1 - spot on. What I was trying to say exactly.

                          Rememer Sarah, this is for LIFE. You are never going back to those evil grains and sugars....so;

                          CHILL OUT

                          Take it easy, follow the plan as close as you can

                          take your mind of the numbers and figures by moving around as much as you can

                          This is not a quick fix DIET. You are changing what you eat for the next 60 years (assuming it gives you the health to live to 100!) so what is 3-6 months out of that to tweak it and get it right??

                          please give it a shot and don't just look for the next fix, from Primal to IF to VLC. Pick one. Stick with it. for 3-6 months.

                          hth?
                          Scottish Sarah

                          Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

                          Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
                          **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                            S_V,
                            I'd say that before you start tinkering, you try to give Primal Original (as in no tinkering, Mark's direct advice, yadayadayada) a true shot. 3 weeks does not constitute a true shot. VLC can actually cause more harm than good if you don't watch your nutrient intake. Especially if you're already having trouble following a "standard" Primal diet.
                            725 kcal? I call bullshit. You may have accidentally had a typo or something, but I've never seen it give anything that low, even with the the 1000 cal subtraction for their most accelerated weight loss category. I've never seen it go below 1200. I'd agree more with Kuno in this case.
                            I know you're trying to hurry it up with the weight loss and such, but you gotta give it time. PB, as great as it is, does not work miracles quite as quickly as overnight. I've seen you say that patience is not your strong suit, but I'm dead serious: you gotta give it time. You have to give your body time to adjust and give it time to stop trying to compensate for what it thinks is a starvation time.

                            Yes, I know but I all I want to know is WHY I'm gaining inches -and so fast too! I've gained 2" on my chest, 2" on my waist and 2 on my hips - yet my scale weight hasn't altered!

                            Do you know how that makes me feel...? ! Why do you think I fast - because I''m TERRIFIED of becoming fatter and now it's happened! I ache all over, and, right now, I just wnat to go to sleep and NEVER wake up!

                            I can't expec anyone here ti know or to undrstand.

                            Maybe I'm just so evi this is my punisment. Divine retribution and all that (not that I believe in it0

                            Excuse typos, I'm shaking...

                            Sarah
                            La tristesse durera toujours...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by batty View Post
                              first you ask about IF.
                              now you're asking about VLC.

                              you are trying all these different tricks and you don't even have the *eating* part together yet.

                              you are trying to do too much at once and you're not going to get anything out of it if you continue.

                              focus on the eating part first. meat, fat, and whatever vegetables you can stomach, because i know you have issues with a lot of em.
                              Amen. You can't IF until you get the hang of VLC and you can't VLC until you get the hang of eating primal. Shrinking_Violet, just start eating primally and only eat when you're hungry and stop eating when you're no longer hungry. Start experimenting with VLC and IF (yes, in thar oder) after you get in tune with your body and your hunger.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X