No announcement yet.

How much coffee is too much?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've managed to cut my coffee consumption to one 6-ounce cup of (black) espresso per day. At this point it's one of the few vices I could potentially eliminate to see if it helped with weight loss. So come next month, giving it up for a month might be my personal challenge...

Comment

I've been off coffee 3 weeks now, zero, just to see what the lack of coffee does me! I've been a habitual 1 big French press pot drinker every morning for years. Black, like my heart.

Today, I had coffee for the first time in 3 weeks. To see what would go down, I did a blood glucose test with my little diabetic's blood tester (neat little gadget, even though I'm not diabetic). I tested a baseline fasted overnight (14 hours+) at 95, then 20 minutes after cofffee at 98, then one hour later at 98, 2 hours later at 99, so blood glucose really didn't move. Don't know what that says about insulin overall, but shows that likely, for me, the caffeine in that one French Press is not a big rush. I've stayed in a fasted state with only the coffee to monitor any changes. Your mileage may vary!

I've relegated coffee to a treat, a cheat. No sweeteners just black coffee occasionally, nice to not "need" it every morning.

On a separate note, carrying a blood glucose meter shuts people down at social food-intensive gatherings. When grain, sugar, starchy high carb foods are offered, just pulling out my meter and saying "sorry, have to pass, gotta watch my insulin/blood glucose response to carbs" makes people back off the offers of bad stuff! And it isn't even a lie, we humans really do need to watch that insulin bomb!

Comment

@Acmebike, hahaha, I like your idea of carrying a blood glucose meter.

Comment

Working...
        X