Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do you consider real chocolate a cheat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you consider real chocolate a cheat?

Just curious why 100% Cocoa bars are considered a cheat if there is nothing added to it? I mean, i know the beans are processed etc...

I don't consider it a cheat, but a treat. It's not something I allow myself every day, but it is considered on the OK list.

Comment

I rarely have more than one or two squares - generally 50 or so cals - so I don't think about it much at all. Even if it's less-than-optimal chocolate (I'm a fan of the Chocolove cherry almond bar, and I think it's 55%).

Comment

I don't consider it a cheat at all. I have a square every day with lunch.

ETA: I'm talking about 82-90% chocolate
        Last edited by Sassy; 09-25-2010, 07:33 PM.
        Sassy: Revised - my primal log

Comment

Sugar. Legume.

I consider it part of the 20% of non-primal.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
            Sugar. Legume.

I consider it part of the 20% of non-primal.
            100% cocoa bars shouldn't have any sugar in it.

Cacao is a fruit, a pepolike berry.

Comment

Originally posted by iwearnosox View Post
              Chocolate is made from the seed inside of the fruit and not the actual fruit itself.

Comment

Originally posted by iwearnosox View Post
                100% cocoa bars shouldn't have any sugar in it.

When I answered the original post, it didn't say anything about 100%...It just said 'oops'.

Totally my bad on the legume. I had no idea. The part we eat though isn't a fruit, it's a pit/seed.

Anyhoo, what holds 100% cocoa into a bar shape? Seems like something would be needed to form it....

K

Comment

I thought the cocoa butter holds chocolate in a bar shape? I don't think the sugar does, even in a less than 100% cocoa bar.
                  Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
                  Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

I eat baking chocolate squares--100% chocolate and NO sugar--and it holds its shape just fine. I'll have a half square at a time as a 'special treat' (70 cal).

Comment

I think that is falls into the Paleo lifestyle, since it is a seed.

It also has some good antioxidant properties...

Comment

Originally posted by lizch View Post
                        I thought the cocoa butter holds chocolate in a bar shape? I don't think the sugar does, even in a less than 100% cocoa bar.
                        It does, but usually it's added cocoa butter.

Guess it's sticky enough on it's own

In Italy I occasionally have chocolate that's just chocolate and sugar....no fat added and it holds together. And the sugar isn't even melted...it's still granules. That chocolate is really freaking good. lol

I think you're right lizch

Comment

Originally posted by Sassy View Post
                          I don't consider it a cheat at all. I have a square every day with lunch.

ETA: I'm talking about 82-90% chocolate
                          So do I. One square of Endangered Species 88% chocolate is less than 30 calories and 3g carbs. I have one every day with a cup of tea after lunch. Very satisfying and really helps me ignore the infinite sweets that are always available at the office.

Comment

Originally posted by lizch View Post
                            Cacao has been cultivated for at least three millennia in Mexico, Central and South America, with its earliest documented use around 1100 BC. The majority of the Mesoamerican people made chocolate beverages, including the Aztecs, who made it into a beverage known as xocolātl, a Nahuatl word meaning "bitter water". The seeds of the cacao tree have an intense bitter taste, and must be fermented to develop the flavor.
                            After fermentation, the beans are dried, then cleaned, and then roasted, and the shell is removed to produce cacao nibs. The nibs are then ground to cocoa mass, pure chocolate in rough form. Because this cocoa mass usually is liquefied then molded with or without other ingredients, it is called chocolate liquor. The liquor also may be processed into two components: cocoa solids and cocoa butter. Unsweetened baking chocolate (bitter chocolate) contains primarily cocoa solids and cocoa butter in varying proportions. Much of the chocolate consumed today is in the form of sweet chocolate, combining cocoa solids, cocoa butter or other fat, and sugar. Milk chocolate is sweet chocolate that additionally contains milk powder or condensed milk. White chocolate contains cocoa butter, sugar, and milk but no cocoa solids.

BTW- cacao bars can be sweetened with just about anything. If I really want some I make it myself (I have the moulds, etc) or buy one made with coconut sugar as sweetener or other alternative sweeteners. This company uses a variety and is my favorite when I have some (I have not had this in over a year so it's nit that often I indulge in chocolate- I prefer hot cocoa if I want chocolate and I make mine with coconut milk).
                            http://www.sacredchocolate.com/sacred-chocolate/

This one claims to be tempered and uses coconut sugar (which is the issue with raw cacao - tempering takes away the bitterness and mellows it out)
                            http://www.chocolate.com/products/co...raw-cacao-bar/

Comment

Oh, I consider it a cheat because of how rough it is on the adrenals- like coffee's effects.

Comment

Working...
                              X