Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tales from the Grocery Store Checkout Line...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blank_faceplate View Post
    Was anyone doing curls in the squat rack?
    LMFAO

Avoid the Smith Machine!!!

Comment

OK, on a serious note, I have had people bug me in line at Sam's several times because of the huge quantity of greens, veggies and fruit I buy there. Comments like "do you work at a restaurant?" or "so, you're shopping for the whole month?" are common in these cases. Back when I used to eat lots of eggs, the checkout at TJ's was always the same way.

I imagine the conversation later goes something like this:
      "So, I was at Sam's, picking up snacks for the soccer league, and there was this weirdo in line in front of me. He had 2 lbs of spinach, 2 lbs of greens, a thing of romaine hearts, a couple heads of iceberg lettuce, some boxes of berries, a sack of fruit, a sack of peppers, a box of tomatoes, and a rotisserie chicken. He had bruises all over his arms, and one half black eye. Whatever crazy diet he's eating can't possibly be good for him!"

What is a pizza pop? It sounds like a frozen pizza on a stick. I have a mental image of a kid licking a pepperoni pizza pop like one of those huge carnival lollipops.

Comment

OK, on a serious note, I have had people bug me in line at Sam's several times because of the huge quantity of greens, veggies and fruit I buy there. Comments like "do you work at a restaurant?" or "so, you're shopping for the whole month?" are common in these cases. Back when I used to eat lots of eggs, the checkout at TJ's was always the same way.

I imagine the conversation later goes something like this:
        "So, I was at Sam's, picking up snacks for the soccer league, and there was this weirdo in line in front of me. He had 2 lbs of spinach, 2 lbs of greens, a thing of romaine hearts, a couple heads of iceberg lettuce, some boxes of berries, a sack of fruit, a sack of peppers, a box of tomatoes, and a rotisserie chicken. He had bruises all over his arms, and one half black eye. Whatever crazy diet he's eating can't possibly be good for him!"

What is a pizza pop? It sounds like a frozen pizza on a stick. I have a mental image of a kid licking a pepperoni pizza pop like one of those huge carnival lollipops.
        They are basically Totino's Pizza Rolls. It's tomato sauce, mystery meat, and processed cheese food contained within a little pouch of crust. They are about 1x1x2". They get crispy if you bake them at 450 degrees for 20 minutes. I was addicted.

Comment

Ah. Pizza rolls rock.

Comment

I try not to look at other shopper's groceries because it causes my heart to sink. Even if I didn't care about the human misery this is going to cause (and I *do*), I care about how this is going to play out in the next few decades.

Bad diet --> ill health --> healthcare costs out of control.

We cannot afford the *current* costs of diabetes and CVD. People are pulled prematurely from the work force and then shuttled onto a cycle of expensive meds and treatments. The slow spiral into frailty and painful drawn-out death begins. Unless you've worked in healthcare (and close to the billing department) you would not believe how costly these diseases are to the patient and to society's taxpayers.

Based on the grocery shopping carts I've seen, I have to fear that 20 years from now the situation is going to be significantly worse. I cannot imagine how we are going to shoulder the costs.

Comment

1. Not the check out line but the farmers market.

There is one stall that comes once a month and sells organic raw grass fed dairy and I always buy butter. Every month I ask the guy for 10 butters and he looks at me in disbelief and replies "10?!?!" And I usually just smile and nod. I think he's worried for my health

2. I was in Soho in London walked into a small shop that advertised all organic, dairy free all natural foods. Me and the girlfriend were after a hot chocolate. I looked at the menu and was horrified to see soy everywhere not realising we walked into a vegan cafe. Anyway I ordered a hot chocolate made with almond milk, but everything had agave so I declined after the waitress was saying they only use healthy sweetners.

She saw my wholefoods bag and was like "I see you guys are into healthy foods" and I replied "You have no idea".
              "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Comment

I hear you about the butter thing..my butcher asked me yesterday if I wanted to lean cut for my beef stew pieces...i said, " well, if there is a fatty cut, i'll take that please!" all the people in the shop looking at me in horror! ha ha ha. Butcher was happy.

Comment

Had a bit of a disconnect with a market stall vendor, too, back in berry season. I tried the (lovely ripe, sweet, sticky) redcurrants and bought some, with him anxiously assuring me they'd be nice with plenty of sugar dusted over the top. Blank looks and mutual incomprehension followed.

Comment

Ah. Pizza rolls rock.

As a newbie, it's nice for me to know that even though you choose foods that are significantly better for your health, you still recognize that it's hard to beat the taste of a pizza roll
                    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread51572.html

Comment

This thread is depressing.
                      So I'll try and cheer it up with a GOOD conversation I overheard at the store a few days ago.

*man is looking at some salmon filets*
                      Wife: Is it wild caught?
                      Man: No, farm raised.
                      Wife: We don't want farm raised.
                      Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Comment

All the research that is being done about healthy foods or what isn't could be easily set aside by looking at the grocery carts and their owners. The scientists or whomever could easily observe the connections between what food types result in what body types.

There, wasn't that easy?

Comment

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                          I like educating the cashiers about the different types of produce they carry. When I bring up jicama, artichokes, avocadoes (!!) shallots, whatever I'm usually met with a blank stare and a "ummm...what is this called?" :P

A good friend of mine from waaayyy back is very very obese. It's so sad to see her drink diet sodas....in fact, it's so sad to see anyone drink diet sodas!! And she's quite a smart person otherwise. I introduced the idea of primal to her a few months back because we happened to be talking about food and weightloss, and she immediately dismissed it.
                          I have to ask that sometimes, too. Maybe it's something new to me, or maybe it's something that looks enough like something else (nectarines vs some types of peaches) that I ask to be sure. You don't after all, want to pay 1.97/lb for a similar looking item that costs 1.27/lb.
                          The longer I cashier the better I get at it, though.
                          Here's a funny, I can tell the differance between Zucini and Calabaza squash, but can't keep the codes straight in my head. But bring Ginger root, which isn't a common purchase, to my line, and in goes '4612' without a thought. Oh, if your checker doesn't know the code, they're universal to all grocers, I've been told
                          sigpicI'm not old, I'm Vintage!

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
                            I hate being in the supermarket and seeing overweight people fill their trolly (kart) with weight watchers crap and low fat dairy products.
                            Today one of my co workers bought a Smart Ones meal with the remark 'I'm trying to eat healthy'. Had to bite my toungue.

Re curls in Squat rack: this is when I like to get as close to the Squat rack as possible and do a set of plyo overhead lifts. (clean and toss and catch instead of clean and press) Once the Mook in the rack sees a weight leave my hands, he usualy vacates. (even more humerous, I rarely actualy squat or dead anything I can't clean and press, I just like intimidating the Mooks
                            Last edited by 979roadrunner; 09-26-2010, 11:23 PM.
                            sigpicI'm not old, I'm Vintage!

Comment

Working...
                            X