Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need ideas for breakfast / lactose intolerance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need ideas for breakfast / lactose intolerance

    Hi there,

    for years I had cottage cheese/curd with fresh fruits for breakfast - and I really loved that! (and quite often I had that for afternoon snack, too).

    Maybe that was too much or whatever, but nowadays everytime I drink milk or eat curd/cottage cheese I have a big rumbling in my belly - without consulting a doctor, I m sure that is a lactose intolerance.

    For me, that is a sign, I should not eat those dairy products and going for lactose-free variants is not the way to go (and supplementing lactase is crazy in my mind).

    So, now I have a problem with getting enough protein, or even what should I eat for breakfast at all? I can't have eggs every day or eat tuna for breakfast. Cottage cheese with fruits was the perfect low calorie - easy preparation breakfast.

    Please help! :-)

  • #2
    Bushka,

    Our breakfast is always some fruits, such as 1/2 orange, 1/2 kiwi, grapes, melon.

    1 glass of Smoothie
    ============
    made from blueberries, and a fruit, whatever we have on hand,
    a tablespoon each of Diatomacious Powder, Spirulina, Chlorella, Almond Milk

    Lastly
    =========
    * some leftover dinner most of the time
    * or bacon & eggs

    Best to you
    Grizz

    Comment


    • #3
      You could try Kefir (non-dairy and yougurt like) dumped into a blender and whatever fruit you like blended in with it. Often found in the same section with yogurt in larger grocery stores and health food stores.

      Comment


      • #4
        I never have anything with lactose for breakfast, theres all kinds of ideas, just have to think out of the 'conventional breakfast' box.

        Blueberries and coconut milk
        Smoothie with blueberries, spinach, ice and coconut milk
        Bacon and Eggs
        Eggs sunnyside up, served ontop of left over cooked greens,
        eggs sunnyside up, served over sauteed zucchini and onions
        left over dinner meat and veg
        handful of blueberries and coconut and almonds
        (be mindful of your fruit choices, melons create a large insulin spike)
        OR, if your not hungry, dont eat----thats my normal choice
        Redflame
        Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
        Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
        Goal of Significant Weight Loss
        15 pounds down! with more to go!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by loneviking View Post
          You could try Kefir (non-dairy and yougurt like) dumped into a blender and whatever fruit you like blended in with it. Often found in the same section with yogurt in larger grocery stores and health food stores.
          Aside from coconut kefir, which I've never seen, what kind of kefir would be grain free, soy free, and dairy free?

          Comment


          • #6
            Water Kefir Yep, I was amazed too: http://nourishedkitchen.com/water-kefir/
            My primal journal
            You might find these handy: Free gluten free restaurant cards in 50+ languages
            In Praise of the Primal Lifestyle

            Comment


            • #7
              I sometimes have fruit with primal "granola" made with nuts (buy them raw) and coconut flakes roasted in coconut oil. (I prefer to go easy on the nuts due to their O-6 content, so I don't do this often, but it's an option you might enjoy.)

              Egg muffins.

              Avocado slices rolled in ham.

              There are quite a few primal/paleo energy bar recipes out there that might work well for you.
              Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

              Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by blank_faceplate View Post
                Aside from coconut kefir, which I've never seen, what kind of kefir would be grain free, soy free, and dairy free?
                It's grain free and soy free. As for dairy, there's the 80/20 rule and a very odd characteristic of Kefir which is that most lactose intolerant folks can tolerate it! Why? Because it contains lactase and bacteria that break down/digest lactose which causes the intolerance. Here's one link for quick reading:

                http://www.kefir.net/index.htm

                Comment


                • #9
                  I don't think about foods in terms of meals but rather just eat whatever food I have on hand that sounds good.

                  Breakfast looks no different than lunch or dinner in this house.


                  K



                  iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Breakfast looks no different than lunch or dinner in this house.
                    +1, although even though liver and heart have made it into the breakfast menu, sardines are still better at lunch IMO!
                    My primal journal
                    You might find these handy: Free gluten free restaurant cards in 50+ languages
                    In Praise of the Primal Lifestyle

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Tuna salad + half an avocado

                      Tuna salad with half an avocado. [edited, not sure where my title line disappeared to.]

                      I just made it with mayo, mustard, lemon juice, red onion, capers. You could use olive oil + lemon juice instead of mayo.
                      Last edited by stef; 09-25-2010, 03:17 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        When I don't want protein for breakfast (it's really brunch as I eat twice daily) I eat vegetables over fruit (fruit for me not good as a meal or first thing).
                        I had to cut out eggs and don't eat dairy so I'm rather limited now. An ideal meal for me to break the fast would be a lighter soup made from bone broth with vegetables and small amounts of meat. I'm going to try that this winter and come up with a variety of recipes.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
                          I sometimes have fruit with primal "granola" made with nuts (buy them raw) and coconut flakes roasted in coconut oil. (I prefer to go easy on the nuts due to their O-6 content, so I don't do this often, but it's an option you might enjoy.).
                          I agree that primal granola should be a moderation breakfast. In fact, I will make this once in a while in a large batch, and it keeps well for about a week. I also use it as snacks for the days when the kids are screaming and we forgot to prepare a meal. Here is a link to my blog with a granola recipe...
                          http://karlmacphee.com/2010/09/01/in...aleo-cereal-3/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by loneviking View Post
                            It's grain free and soy free. As for dairy, there's the 80/20 rule and a very odd characteristic of Kefir which is that most lactose intolerant folks can tolerate it! Why? Because it contains lactase and bacteria that break down/digest lactose which causes the intolerance. Here's one link for quick reading:

                            http://www.kefir.net/index.htm
                            That's fine, but your initial post said "dairy-free and yogurt-like" which was the part I was confused by. Water-kefir sounds interesting.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by kmacphee View Post
                              I agree that primal granola should be a moderation breakfast. In fact, I will make this once in a while in a large batch, and it keeps well for about a week. I also use it as snacks for the days when the kids are screaming and we forgot to prepare a meal. Here is a link to my blog with a granola recipe...
                              http://karlmacphee.com/2010/09/01/in...aleo-cereal-3/
                              Gorgeous food on your site!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X