Low carb vs balanced diet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low carb vs balanced diet

SOmeone on a CW site i frequent asked a question about LC vs balanced diet. She said she was low carb, and now wants to eat a balanced diet. I told her lower/low carb is good for some people. A bunch of people aid they prefer a 'balanced diet'.

So that lead me to ask,
    I am still not understanding how eating less carbs is considered 'unbalanced'. If someone follows the food pyramid or spark, they are eating about 50% of their calories from carbs. If they follow a lower carb plan they are getting 50% of their calories from somewhere else. Mine happen to be about 50/30/20, fat/protein/carbs. Sort of revere of the 'normal', but no less balanced, just different.

I easily meet all my RDA for other things like vitamins, minerals and fiber.
    And the only reponse was,
    The difference is the quality of the food you're eating. Fat is really high calorie for the amount of nutrients you're getting; not very healthy. Carbs also have a lot of calories for their volume, but your body uses them differently than fats. You probably want to switch your fat and carbs, just because your body will appreciate it more. If you're going "lower carb," replace it with protein and vegetables rather than fat.

PS: Your body doesn't get as much benefit from supplements as from nutrients from food because of the form they are in. You may want to reconsider your strategy.
    First, did I say anything about supplements? Did I ay I didn't eat veggies? Obviously I DO or else I wouldn't have 20% of my overall calories coming from carbs. Ugh! Some people are just mental midgets.

My response to her was,
    Well the only supplements I take are folic acid, fish oils and Vitamin D.

I have also lost about 30+ pounds, gain lean muscle and improved my lipid profile.

I am happier, healthier and don't have crazy cravings. I never feel deprived and my skin looks awesome. I have more energy, more normalized menstrual cycles and look better in my clothes.

And research has shown that the way I eat is healthy and safe. You can eat nutrient dense foods and not eat a lot of carbs.

Why exactly should I change?
    I wonder if she will go back and look at it.
    Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

i dont understand where people get the idea something is 'imbalanced' just because your 'low carb'....macro% wise you can eat 100 carbs and still only have it account as 10% of your calories...but 100g of carbs is pretty tough when you only eat real food...not to imbalanced imo
    Get on my Level
    http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

I was noticing today that I am more balanced on PB than ever... that is, if you look at grams instead of percentage points.

Today was: 78 grams fat, 76 grams carbs, 75 grams protein.

Could you get more balanced than that?
      Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
      Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
      Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

Comment

I agree, I am more balanced too. Plus. I rarely met my nutrition guidelines for vitamins and minerals when I ate according to the food pyramid, I almost always meet or exceed my goals while following the PB.
        Meghan

My MDA journal

Comment

Then that's your argument... the balance is obvious, when you look at grams. I am not sure why people think that 50% carbs is a balanced diet.
          Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
          Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
          Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

Comment

"Balance" in something like macro nutrient ratios is a dumb idea for its own sake, unless science supports it - what's a "balanced" heroin consumption schedule? "Moderation" in knife fighting?
            There is no particular reason the ratios should be equal or unequal, you just have to look at the science, for whatever it's worth, and listen to your own body.
            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Mal,
              I think the "imbalanced" idea comes into play because
              1. They don't hear "low" they hear "no" carb
              2. They don't think, believe, know that veggies and fruit contain carbs. Carbs, to them, come from bread, pasta, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                Mal,
                2. They don't think, believe, know that veggies and fruit contain carbs. Carbs, to them, come from bread, pasta, etc.
                I dont even say low carb to people now, I just mention no bread pasta rice and then they go, what, no carbs I have absolutely no idea of my carb quota as I've never been interested in tracking it, but I think even with the odd piece of cake or muffin here and there and 1/2 tspn of sugar in my frequent teas, I'd be well under the 150g of carb per day... thats not low to a lot of people on here, but it's probably a damn sight lower than what most other people are eating.

Comment

A diet that contains adequate amounts of all the necessary nutrients required for healthy growth and activity.A balanced diet is one that contains all the ingredients needed for our body to healthily continue its day to day functions in the most efficient way.
                  http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Balanced_Diet SO here is the 'scientific' definition of balanced diet. Looks like we are right on target.
                  Meghan

My MDA journal

Comment

Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                    Mal,
                    I agree with this for sure. In this particular discussion there wasn't even mention of no grains, just me defending a low/lower carb diet.
                    Meghan

My MDA journal

Comment

Have not read the thread, but most folks have NO CLUE what their macro intake is, %wise. People who don't know much a/b macros think '50% fat' and picture you eating sticks of butter for dinner. BUT, if you said, "My typical plate has veggies (topped w/ butter or olive oil based dressing) covering 2/3rds to 3/4ths of it, and 1/4 to 1/3 of the plate has a piece of organic/grassfed meat", I'd think most folks would think that was more 'balanced'.

Folks often think 'balance' means a meat/protein, a veg, and a grain/starch. I sometimes say that I just replace the grain portion of a meal w/ veggies--simplifies it...
                      My Before/After Pics
                      Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

I think, for many, "balanced" = ""typical". If you are "low" carb (compared to the average, which is S*D), then you're by definition "unbalanced". QED.

Comment

I just mention to people that I eat a lot of organic and preferably local veggies, organic pasteured grass-fed proteins with no processed or prepared convenience foods, no fast food, no grains and limited dairy. I never really get to say all that because their eyes glaze over by the time I get to pasteured...

I learned some time ago that to most people low carb means that one only consumes bacon and cheese. I do sometimes mention paleo but they don't know what that means either. Bottom line is that I've lost over 100#s eating healthy foods; the fact that I don't cave to fast food or donuts makes some people annoyed. It's easier for them to say that MY diet is unhealthy because I don't eat junk than for them to change their WOE.
                          312/149/150

Comment

I just gave up on explaining the whole carb thing. There are even some on here I've seen post 'I gave up carbs' and go on to post about salad, veggies, etc.
                            I just say no grains or starches. Then when they start in about 'needing' whole grain, I ask them 'can you prove it?' what research have you done? Or are you parrotting some TV weight loss show? Whattaya mean no fiber, a cup of broccoli has more fiber than a whole loaf of whole grain bread. Yes, I can back my claims up. Then I give them some links, if they haven't already locked their closed mind and left.
                            sigpicI'm not old, I'm Vintage!

Comment

Yeah. I've had that argument before. "You need whole grains for fiber!!!" "This isn't sustainable" "When you start eating grains again... and you will... you will just gain it all back again" Doesn't that just prove that grains are bad for you. Our bodies don't like them so they react by inflammation and holding onto fat the wrong way. Makes logical sense to me. People don't realize how useful veggies and fat are to our biology.

Comment

Working...
                              X