No announcement yet.

Here's what a real nutritionist eats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To all the people who blame the obese for their condition and lack of will power: This is what we are taught is good for us. We are taught that menus like this one are healthy and that eating like this should keep us full all the time. If it doesn't, it's called "food addiction" or "emotional eating". It can't possibly be REAL HUNGER. Is anyone surprised that two weeks after beginning such a diet the fat person is binging on cookies and ice cream? Even the nutritionist admits it. This kind of menu always leads to orgies of sugar, flour and trans fat. Cause and effect.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Comment

Oh dear, she's gunning for the kids...

from her bio:
      She has a special interest in working with children and has received her certification in pediatric weight management.
      Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Originally posted by Mirrorball View Post
        To all the people who blame the obese for their condition and lack of will power: This is what we are taught is good for us. We are taught that menus like this one are healthy and that eating like this should keep us full all the time. If it doesn't, it's called "food addiction" or "emotional eating". It can't possibly be REAL HUNGER. Is anyone surprised that two weeks after beginning such a diet the fat person is binging on cookies and ice cream? Even the nutritionist admits it. This kind of menu always leads to orgies of sugar, flour and trans fat. Cause and effect.
        You are right. I really feel sorry for people who are just listening to the people with alphabet soups after their name that should know better.

Sometimes I think the people who CAN eat like this are the ones with the eating disorder...I mean, how else do you survive on it and feign happiness?
        Last edited by kennelmom; 09-24-2010, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirrorball View Post
          I turned to Primalism because I was doing a diet dreamt up by a nutritionist called Zoe Harcombe, and it wasn't working for me. She opined that the reason people were addicted to food was because of one - or more - of 3 things: -

Candidasis
          Hypoglycaemia
          Food Intolerance

Phase 1 was Primal (well almost!) You could eat meat, fish, veggies (but NOT fruit because of the fructose, because it's sugar and all 3 of the above are caused, she argued, by sugar cravings) but you could have 50g (if you ate meat/fish) or 150g (if you were vegetarian/vegan) of brown rice. She still ascertained that wholegrains were 'good' carbs and the only 'bad' carbs were sugar and artificial sweeteners.

Phase 2 is rather akin to the Hay Diet, because it's a non-food combining diet (i.e. you don't eat carbs and fats at the same meal (e.g. if you were having a jacket potato, you couldn't fill it with butter and cheese, you'd have to have something like ratatouille instead).

Your next meal (and she's very much stuck in the rut of CW, as she does encourage you to eat every 4 hours or so) MUST be a 'fat' meal (so you could have a burger and cheese, but no veg) - she claims it's "easy to follow" but who wants to remember NOT to have butter on their veggies, or whether their last meal was 'carbs' or 'fat'...?! Life's FAR too short! Her favourite breakfasts in P2 are porridge and puffed brown rice cereal.

THD only eliminates processed carbs (and by that I mean grains) - unprocessed are absolutely fine.

I'm just reading her eBook as I type this, and she contradicts herself a fair bit. She begins by outlining what hypoglycaemia is and saying that you must eat to avoid your blood sugar getting too low (I reckon she'd have a heart attack if anyone ever told her that fasting is a perfectly safe, natural and healthy thing to be doing!) She maintains that whole carbs do not have the same impact on blood sugar levels as those which have been processed (and we all know that's BS, don't we...?)

She does go on to add that brown rice is optional, but it does give you useful fibre and energy... Hmm... Phase 1 is supposed to dtoxify your system - and yet you're allowed rice... Another contradiction.

I'm not saying it's all bad, but she does have so many, many, many things wrong.

Finally, in her preamble, she states what she believes makes her diet unique: -

1) It works for everyone (er, no it doesn't)
          2) It's practical (what, remembering whether your last meal was 'fat' or 'carbs', or not to butter their asparagus? Practical? Hardly!)
          3) It can be followed for life (what all this not eating this with that? Bollocks!)
          4) It must be healthy (yep, all that rice, pasta, bread, legumes and spuds - sure is healthy - NOT!)
          5) It must be enjoyable (who's enjoys not having butter on their veg, or not being able to have cream on their berries...?)

She ends this with: - The Harcombe Diet meets all of the above criteria and I am not aware of another diet that does.

I'd love to be able to get in contact with her and introduce her to Primalism - she'd probably vanish in a puff of smoke like The Wicked Witch of the West!
          La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

thanks for that mirrorball. I've spent my life subscribing to cooking light, making ground turkey stir fries, putting prune puree in my brownies to make them low-fat and generally trying to eat like this lady. Of course I've been hungry most of my life and ended up falling into a sugar trap to feel full. and even now, I'm being told that this "crazy fad diet" is never going to work. Honestly, even if I never lose weight I can't imagine going back to grains and low fat, I like feeling full and having clear skin and not having joint pain.

Comment

I always used extra lean ground turkey. It does have a good flavor but is like rubber. IMHO ground turkey thighs - great! (I wonder if primal destroys people's taste buds.)

I always thought a dietitian's idea of a treat would be a white bread sandwich with a saltine cracker filling.
              Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Ugh. It makes me lose my appetite and my stomach clench just reading it! That garbage is what I used to eat during my endless dieting days. *shudder* YETCH. No wonder I couldn't lose weight.

It's SO nice now that I can just eat all the good stuff now that tantalizes my taste buds and makes me enjoy a meal and still drop weight like crazy!

Comment

Wanna see an even 'better' one? This is a common day of food for a 'certified personal trainer' and 'sports nutritionist.'

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/21285104-post4.html

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/20374623-post3.html

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/20030969-post3.html
                  Last edited by NutMeg; 09-24-2010, 09:16 PM. Reason: add second link
                  Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Originally posted by NutMeg View Post
                    Wanna see an even 'better' one? This is a common day of food for a 'certified personal trainer' and 'sports nutritionist.'

Whoa. Pepsi, cakes and chips as regular snacks, more than once a day?? Dude.

Comment

She also said: "thoughts: Took another rest day. I don't know why I'm so tired this week. Feel blah, sore throat, and just so sleepy. I took a nap today instead of working out"

no wonder! Pina Coloda Cake? twice? and a brownie? bread....

Comment

Originally posted by Christina* View Post
                        Whoa. Pepsi, cakes and chips as regular snacks, more than once a day?? Dude.
                        The sd part is she is a host for that board, and introduces herself this way,
                        Welcome! I'm Tonya, one of your co-hosts and a certified personal trainer and sports nutritionist. I'm also going to school full time for my bachelors in exercise physiology with a minor in nutrition and plan to continue with my doctorate in physical therapy.
                        It is unfortunate too, because people will always take her advice, regardless of what it is. Forget that I have been a physical therapy assistant for 9 years, and can help someone start a new fitness routine and avoid injury, they listen to her.

This was her response to me when I first explained about my 'new way of eating'
                        Adding more fruits and veggies is a great idea. But my opinion is that cutting out whole food groups isn't, unless you specifically have an allergy to that food. Lectin is used by the body to identify cells so that proteins know where to bind and where not to bind, etc. If you aren't allergic to them, they are a required component of our dietary intake. They are actually in a lot of foods (mostly plants), just in higher doses in some things then in others. This is basically a low carb diet (sorry, but 130 grams of carbs is low carb). The initial weight loss will be great, but it is mostly water and then the weight loss is more muscle then fat. Personally, I believe eating a well balanced food intake is still the healthiest option. But if you think you may be allergic, see an allergist to be tested.
                        She never did respond to my reply to her...lol (read the whole thing here- if you can't tell it was Cordain paleo http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...ay-eating.html)
                        Meghan

My MDA journal

Comment

Originally posted by NutMeg View Post

Wow. I can't believe she actually posted that publicly. Reading your above post, she seems like an idiot LOL There's that "well balanced" thing again. WTF does that mean, anyway? Yeah...let me take diet advice from a person who, apparently, can't get through the day without a sugar fix from pepsi or cakes/cookies.
                          Last edited by kennelmom; 09-25-2010, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Ha, I should try to find a photo she posted of herself.

I think she is trying to prove to the world that you can be 'healthy' if you eat low fat, get enough exercise then the rest doesn't matter.
                            Meghan

My MDA journal

Comment

Originally posted by fitmom View Post
                              Somehow I ended up on FitDay's email list (I don't know how) and this was in my inbox.
                              Same thing here. Spamming sumbiches!

Comment

Five. Hundred. Carbohydrates.

Comment

Working...
                                X