Bacon Question?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bacon Question?

I have a huge package of center cut bacon( the reg kind) and I would like to use it up before I go out and purchase the uncured kind. I Hope that is ok?

it is good bacon

for finacial reasons I can't just toss it out.

Uncured bacon, does it cook up and taste the same as reg bacon?

thanks xoxo Darlene

I say go ahead and use it. Remember Mark's 80/20 rule. You strive for 100% but figure on hitting that mark only 80% of the time (if you are doing well!).

I've found uncured bacon tastes different. Not quite as good but that is probably because I'm so used to the nitrite-laden kind. Need to retrain my taste buds.

Comment

Sorry to interfere, but how does uncured bacon compare to regular bacon in terms of price? I am interested I haven't had bacon in such a long time.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
      ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

eat it!

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

Where do you get uncured bacon from????

Comment

Trader Joes sells Uncured Applewood smoked bacon that is delicious. Its $4.79 for a package. Also, Whole Foods sells some, I think. I think uncured bacon tastes great! And it does cook up the same as regular bacon (IIRC).

Comment

This company&#39;s terminology is very confused and incorrect.

"Curing" meat means treating it in any one of a number of ways to preserve it - including smoking. So I don&#39;t know what they&#39;d would mean by saying the bacon is uncured, specially as they&#39;re selling it as "smoked". It wouldn&#39;t be bacon if it were uncured, anyway: it would be pork. Fresh pig meat is pork.

I guess they may mean it&#39;s nitrate-free. You can get bacon that is cured just with common salt.

Comment

One of the ingredients of the nitrate-free bacon I got last time was sugar. The farmers market sells really nice bacon made from farm-raised pigs but unfortunately, they have nitrates. It&#39;s so good I was almost tempted to buy them yesterday. I&#39;ve been keeping my eyes open for uncured bacon, but haven&#39;t seen them anywhere. I asked the Amish farmer at the farmer&#39;s market if he could sell me some pork belly. He said he wasn&#39;t sure as it wouldn&#39;t be USDA-approved. When I said I&#39;ll keep it between the two of us, he said he&#39;d try. I&#39;m keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

I&#39;ve been having the same problem finding uncured bacon. There are a few brands of nitrate/nitrite free bacon that I&#39;ve found at my local market, but they have added sugar. I guess they think that if it&#39;s "evaporated cane juice" it&#39;s supposed to sound better...

Comment

Uncured bacon isn&#39;t uncured. It&#39;s cured, but the government makes them say "uncured" on the label if it&#39;s cured with natural nitrates (usually celery juice) instead of artificial nitrates. (For the same reason, these products are not nitrate-free, regardless of what it says on the label.)

Comment

I can look at trader joes, and yes it has nitrates in it the reg kind I am eaitng and I know that isn&#39;t good for you at all but I need to finish it up, I can&#39;t waste it lol

good to know Maurile but I am sure the one that says "Uncured" is better for you right?

I do love my bacon! I was eating turkey bacon and then I heard on the news it is way worse and more sodium then reg bacon! xoox Darlene

Comment

PG, you reminded me of something I have been forgetting lately. Number 1 rule of PB if grok couldn&#39;t make it, don&#39;t eat it. Turkey&#39;s don&#39;t have a fatty belly to make bacon from, so I don&#39;t see how (or why) grok would try to make turkey bacon. Turkey jerky, OK, turkey pemmican, OK. But strips of things that look like bacon, why bother.

As for salt/smoke cured bacon, I can see why a progressive grok would attempt that. But he/she didn&#39;t have the modern chemicals they put in now. I think it is better to go with the less processed kind.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

yep me too Grandma that is why I am gonna get the uncured at trader Joes

I love bacon and sausge is ok sometimes but I really love bacon lol xoox

Comment

If you are eating a slice or two every couple of days, that amount of sugar isn&#39;t going to hurt a gnat. For that matter, probably the nitrates, too.

It&#39;s not only WHAT but HOW MUCH. Don&#39;t eat a pound in one sitting.

Comment

I only have two slices in the morning and somedays I have sausage instead

Comment

Working...
                              X