Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the proper way to break a fast...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the proper way to break a fast...?

I ate dinner very late last night (around 11/midnight) and I've not felt hungry really at all today, so I've been IF'ing without too much effort (and I've been out to my Grokette's Grove).

This is the first time I've ever really IF'ed without thinking about it, so now I'm wondering how best to break it without eating anything and everything I can lay my hands on (I'd LOVE to be able to go to bed tonight and not eat until tomorrow morning but, sadly, I don't think that's going to happen...)

I thought I'd feel like shit but, actually, I've not felt too bad - and I feel certain I'm going to make it to 24 hours (just wish I could push for 36, but that ain't gonna happen this time around)...

Cheers, folks!

Sarah
    La tristesse durera toujours...

I break my 18 hour each day with a good size lunch, usually of chicken with veggies. Nothing too crazy, so I can have my big meal for dinner and my blueberry smoothie for dessert.

Comment

Just had three omega-3 eggs, and I am going to raid the vegetable crisper.

Edit: four cherry tomatoes, five radishes, a cucumber, and a tablespoon of organic coconut milk (cannot find the guac)
      Last edited by Lojasmo; 09-22-2010, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Personally, I break my daily fast with as much primal food as I can possibly stuff into my stomach. Always about a pound of meat with some onions and veggies. If I worked out that morning then I would sub the bulky veggies for two fairly large sweet potatoes that measure anywhere from 1-1.5 pounds together (precooked weight).

Yeah, it's a lot of food, but it's how I've been eating for about 2 months now and I've never been stronger or leaner.

Comment

Thank you, John - thought you'd be the one to respond; I'll tell you something for nowt, buddy - you're one of the folk here I've always admired, you always come across as so disciplined and you know exactly what you're doing (whereas I'm muddling along in the dark - blindfold!)

Chicken and veggies (well salad!) it will be. Not sure I can do a smoothie, as I think the blender broke and we never got round to replacing it, so I'll have berries and a little yoghurt instead!

Cheers, bro!

Comment

Originally posted by Lojasmo View Post
            Just had three omega-3 eggs, and I am going to raid the vegetable crisper.
            What eez zis 'vegetable crispair' (no, I don't know what the Inspector Clouseau impression, either!)

Comment

I break my fasts with whatever is for dinner or lunch depending if i'm doing 16 or 24 hour fasts,.. and it really doesn't seem to matter. I've done a couple of 36 hrs in the past as well but don't think it's all that more beneficial or enjoyable... so I wouldn't sweat it if you don't make it past 24 hrs.

Comment

I haven't gone for the 24 hour yet. I have done 18-20 hours, so it's close. I will have to try it sometime and then eat a huge dinner!

You are welcome Violet. I am not expert in IF by any means, but I have enjoyed it since starting a few months ago.

Comment

Go with a normal meal and try to always make sure that you don't eat quickly. I do eat a little larger meals if I'm doing a 24 hour fast, but not as much as I would have eaten if I had eaten multiple meals. Eating slowly is something that I picked off of Johnny from the Lean Saloon and I think it's a great idea. Never rush a meal.
                  http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Strategies for not rushing meals anyone?
                    Sipping wine and telling stories are all that I can think of, but they don't particularly suit me.

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
                      I haven't gone for the 24 hour yet. I have done 18-20 hours, so it's close. I will have to try it sometime and then eat a huge dinner!

You are welcome Violet. I am not expert in IF by any means, but I have enjoyed it since starting a few months ago.

John,

I'm going for the 36 and I'm gonna make it! I have absolutely no f*cking clue where this sudden blast of willpower (or, as I like to call it, 'won't-power'!) has come from, but I'm a lass who, when she makes up her mind to do something, she does it 110%! It is now 6:17am here in Blighty, so that's just another 5 hours and 43 minutes to go!

I WILL do this! Oh, yes!

Make that 5 hours and 42 minutes! I've never felt more alive or energised, it really is very hard to describe (of course I've had no sleep, but I'm used to that!)

Comment

Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
                        Go with a normal meal and try to always make sure that you don't eat quickly. I do eat a little larger meals if I'm doing a 24 hour fast, but not as much as I would have eaten if I had eaten multiple meals. Eating slowly is something that I picked off of Johnny from the Lean Saloon and I think it's a great idea. Never rush a meal.

Good advice, that, dude! Cheers!

Comment

I actually find it very difficult to eat enough after a long fast (as in 26 hour). I'll eat a small meal (in my case, I like eggs, some fruit, some veggies, some fish), feel positively stuffed, and then be ravenous within an hour and usually eat again! I never really worried about it, since I have some digestive issues that make huge meals a bad idea anyway.

So, I guess my question is, how does everyone's stomach feel when you eat a big meal after fasting? Am I normal, or is this just another lovely digestive quirk?
                          The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

...with food.

Is that too simple?
                            - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

Comment

Originally posted by theholla View Post
                              So, I guess my question is, how does everyone's stomach feel when you eat a big meal after fasting? Am I normal, or is this just another lovely digestive quirk?
                              My stomach normally feels just fine after I break a long fast. When I first started fasting it was almost like I would expecting to get a lot more hungry that I really was so, I would build it up in my mind. These days, I know what I can do and that just doesn't happen anymore.
                              http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Working...
                              X