Trader Joe's Sardines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trader Joe's Sardines

Is anyone familiar with the Skinless & Boneless Sardines in Olive Oil (Parve) available at Trader Joe's?

I love them, and just want to make sure they're safe.

I know that sardines are lower on the food chain and consequently not likely to have too much mercury. But it doesn't say on the box that these sardines are wild. If they are farmed, how big of a problem is it? Do they feed corn to sardines in farms? I would hate to give them up. I cannot seem to be able to find wild-caught sardines.

I love them too. Although I often partake (like just now) of the with skin and with bone type. I only buy ones with OO. I am not aware of any sardine farming. I a have always assumed that they are wild caught. I am also been led to believe that small fish don't accumulate much heavy metals.

I enjoy them frequently.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

I got "Crown Prince" wild-caught sardines and salmon from the local co-op 2 weeks ago. I just checked, looks like it's available in Whole Foods in Chicago.

http://www.crownprince.com/

Comment

Great news. Thank you both.

Comment

Yum! I also love kippered herring.

Comment

There are no cultivated sardines to my knowledge.

They are swimming around, in fact, outside my window.

Excellent food source, watch out for the calories if that is of concern, even w/o oil packing.

Comment

We eat sardines often! I also only buy the ones with olive oil.

I make a dressing out of one can. I just mush them up, add a bit apple cider vinegar, mustard, fresh dill. If needed I add a touch more olive oil and toss in a green salad.

Comment

Fabulous.

I need to give kippered herring a try.

Comment

I love herring.

Eat sardines here and there, but still can't develop a taste for them.

Comment

@Helen, that sounds delicious! I would love to make it tonight but I have no mustard at home. I think I threw away the barely-used French's I had. Thanks for teh recipe.

Comment

(BTW, we went on a very long Ferry cruise and I knew the family would get hungry so I stopped and got some kippered herring and sardines in oil. I put habenaro sauce on them and WOW! If you like hot sauce, I recommend this in your 'PB survival pack' since the hot sauce and fish can last for days, weeks, years in the bottle and can.)

Comment

kippered herring is quite good too -- some are pretty salty, but good none the less.

OTB -- good calories/bad calories sardines == good calories. fat is your friend.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

granny, as one who gets 60-65% of my calories from fat, I need no convincing. I'm only saying that even sardines in water have a lot of natural calories. Then add the oil.......

I love sardines and canned salmon. But at (IIRC) a hundred calories per ounce, it upsets the scales of diet justice too fast.

Comment

Working...
                          X