No announcement yet.

Cardio and IF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really do steady state cardio, but I do do sprints and some bag work. I don't do anything different of 24 hour fast days. I still left and do the same things I would do on any other day (except eat of course).

Incidentally, Lyle MacDonald does recommend as part of his Stubborn Fat Protocol doing the intense cardio workouts either fasted or with at least three hours after eating for losing the most stubborn fat. (there is too much information there for me to go into exact details) I don't think you can definitively say that fasted cardio is necessarily good or bad for anyone else but there are experts out there that will suggest doing it.
    http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

You're totally right that he says to do it three hours after eating, but not on a 24 hour fast. You're actually supposed to eat soon after.

And yeah I want to make it completely clear that it's just my opinion, there are 6 billion other opinions out there too haha
      sigpic
      In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

My bulking plan is a change in my workouts and supporting them with my diet. For the past several months I've been doing mostly body weight and weighted vest workouts. It's served me well, but I would like to see more muscle on my frame. What I am doing now is I am still doing the same exercises but I'm adding in weight training for specific body parts on different days. (nothing extremely ground breaking there)
        I'm supporting the workouts by taking creatine and increasing my intake gradually with major emphasis on protein. I am scale watching daily and I expect to see very a slight gradual increase in my weight. Without steriods the human body isn't going to be able to add more than about half a pound of lean body mass (approximately) every week. So, anything more than that is probably fat or some degree of water weight. If I see an increase in weight or I start to notice my waist size increasing then I need to back off a little. If I start feeling tired (and I've slept properly) then I know I need to up my fat or do a carb refeed.
        What I am not doing is fulking. I'm staying low carb and I'm not sacrificing my leanness to add muscle. I may end up adding a little fat, but I don't want to have to trim off a bunch of fat again either.

Comment

Daemonized, that's the same approach I have been working on. I am trimming down to get as much of the stubborn fat off. I have been doing body weight workouts plus some dumbbell work. I have ordered a weighted vest to increase intensity on the body weight workouts. Then, I plan on slowly increasing calories and gradually bulk rather than try to get their quick and then have to cut again.

I tried creatine in the past and really didn't see much of a change. I might be one of the "non-responders". My son takes it and seems to have done well with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
            My bulking plan is a change in my workouts and supporting them with my diet. For the past several months I've been doing mostly body weight and weighted vest workouts. It's served me well, but I would like to see more muscle on my frame. What I am doing now is I am still doing the same exercises but I'm adding in weight training for specific body parts on different days. (nothing extremely ground breaking there)
            I'm supporting the workouts by taking creatine and increasing my intake gradually with major emphasis on protein. I am scale watching daily and I expect to see very a slight gradual increase in my weight. Without steriods the human body isn't going to be able to add more than about half a pound of lean body mass (approximately) every week. So, anything more than that is probably fat or some degree of water weight. If I see an increase in weight or I start to notice my waist size increasing then I need to back off a little. If I start feeling tired (and I've slept properly) then I know I need to up my fat or do a carb refeed.
            What I am not doing is fulking. I'm staying low carb and I'm not sacrificing my leanness to add muscle. I may end up adding a little fat, but I don't want to have to trim off a bunch of fat again either.
            same thinking i have... save for the creatine, what happens when you stop taking it then?
            Get on my Level
            http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

I have a lot of weights in my basement and they've been underused for a while. I am working out with the dumbbells a lot, but I'm also adding some free weights as well. I'm even starting with dead lifts now. I'd like to do squats but I'm not a fan of them and they scare me as far as getting hurt is concerned.
              I'm really liking the creatine so far actually. My chest was thrashed from the workouts I did last Friday and after resting for the weekend I did chest again on Monday just to see if I would be recovered enough to really work it. I was surprised to find myself recovered already.

Comment

Originally posted by EGYnutrition View Post
                If you really want to learn a lot more about this and the adrenals, check out Matt Stones blog. I pretty much read it in its' entirety one night because it had such great info.
                http://180degreehealth.blogspot.com/

It's difficult to give an answer just because everybody's bodies respond differently. What I would definitely not do is combine a workout with a 24 hour fast.

Let's say you want to do low carb, intermittent fasting (such as leangains) , and intense exercise multiple times a week, the healthiest way to do that is to add in re-feeds. This will allow hormones to balance out which could potentially lead to more fat loss (that's just one benefit, also tends to be good for the adrenals).

FYI my opinion on cortisol/adrenal fatigue/ect... is that it's all a matter of balancing. Getting your mindset right is key as the mental/emotional stress that can root from a negative mindset is infinite while the cortisol that is released from a cup of coffee or a workout is more finite. Sleeping, getting all the proper nutrients (B Vitamins, Vitamin C, Zinc, Vitamin D, Magnesium, ect...) and getting sunlight are all amazing tools to help you body balance out your hormones.

To end this all over the place rant off, cortisol isn't inherently bad. We would die if we could not produce cortisol, likewise insulin. It's the excess that gets us.

+1 HERE, i read Matt's blog and i do not agree with some-to-most of what he says but he is spot on with other things
                Get on my Level
                http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Don't shy away from squats. They are an excellent way of getting in shape. However, you do need to use good form. This is where a qualified personal trainer comes in, for squats and deadlifts, if you are new to them. I bought a squat rack recently that I will be using when I put together my home gym. My wife and I got great benefits from squatting, and it seems the most effective are with the heavy bar. I do get some benefit from split squats and bodyweight, but nothing like I did from heavy barbell.

Comment

Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
                    same thinking i have... save for the creatine, what happens when you stop taking it then?
                    Creatine will add a few pounds of water weight to your muscles and when you stop taking it you will lose just a bit of size. The real reason that I'm even taking it has nothing to do with size or even gains for that matter. It helps muscles to recover quicker so you can work them out again sooner. I work different muscle groups on rotation, but some of them get used a lot for my non-isolationist body weight/vest exercises as well. I'd like to avoid over training as much as I can.

Comment

Thanks to everyone that offered up some advice on this thread!

Comment

No problemo, hope you find something that works for YOU!
                        sigpic
                        In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

Working...
                        X