No announcement yet.

Non-organic eggs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, I buy a lot of my leafy greens from the greenmarket. There or Fairway Market in Red Hook. By the way, Fairway Market also has pastured, Omega-3 eggs for around 4 bucks or less a carton. They also have grass-fed ground beef for like 4 or 5 bucks a pound.

Comment

Is this how I find where the markets will take place?

http://www.cenyc.org/map?type=6&neighborhood=4&tue=

They're called greenmakets? Are they all organic? Are they all trustworthy?

I'm going to the Bronx today anyway so I might as well go take a look!

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
      ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Comment

Yes. That&#39;s how you find them.

You shouldn&#39;t really go by "organic." that designation has become a joke. A calf can be labeled as organic if fed organic soy and organic corn.

Most of the local farmers have beeter, more sustainable and cleaner practices than big industry organic famers that supply en masse all around the country to places like whole foods.

You should read Pollen&#39;s The Omnivore&#39;s Dilemma. It talks about this issue specifically.

Comment

Hey, I just came back from two greenmarkets at The Bronx. I got some carrots and celery for so cheap, but no eggs though. The lady told me to check again next week because her dairy guy wasn&#39;t there today.

Comment

That&#39;s great. If you&#39;re going to be anywhere near Union Square, try them tomorrow. That one and Grand Army Plaza on Saturday are probably the biggest two in the city. Union Square on MWF features many farmers.

Comment

I surely will, and I&#39;ll tell you about it once I do. Thanks again.

Comment

Ohh, are regular eggs really that bad for you? What are the drawbacks to eating eggs from a grain-fed diet? I think I should replace nuts with them!

Also, if 100% vegetarian diet means grain-fed, then why do they boast that on some packages?

On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

Because 99% of consumers (I was one of them) will buy it and think it&#39;s the healthiest and most natural thing on the planet.

Comment

Jess, regular eggs are nutritious. They, unfortunately, are made in less than humane - or is that poultrymane - conditions. There&#39;s nothing wrong with them.

The industry discovered some years ago that by jacking around with the diet they could make an egg higher in Omega 3&#39;s. Probably similar to, but not as good as pastured chickens. Anyway, my thinking is I can take some O3 supps a lot cheaper. I did a thread here a month ago testing, subjectively, a regular egg and an enhanced egg. Bottom line was no difference enough to hang your omelet on.

Chickens eat seeds (grains.) I don&#39;t know why that comment was made and I asked before you did. Chickens are designed to eat grains like we are designed to eat meat. No problemo. The normal diet of chickens includes seeds (grains) and bugs, worms, all kinds of protein critters.

Now, THOSE eggs you will know at a glance when opened. Orange yolks, great flavor. The whole thing about "vegetarian diets" is a marketing ploy feeding on the gullible. I guess there&#39;s an assurance that the feeds don&#39;t have any animal proteins in them, possible carriers of Mad Cow type diseases.

Comment

OnTheBayou, by "regular eggs," what exactly do you mean? The cheap kind found in the supermarket for 1.50$ a dozen? Are they safe?

Comment

[quote]

Chickens eat seeds (grains.) I don&#39;t know why that comment was made and I asked before you did.</blockquote>

OTB, I stand corrected.

Comment

Chickens are domesticated red junglefowl. Corn and wheat do not grow in the jungle, and certainly not their modern selectively bred/GMO forms. I don&#39;t know where you&#39;re getting this, other than the fact that conventional agriculture in the northern hemisphere involves feeding chickens grains. About their natural diet:
                          [quote]

Junglefowls are omnivorous by nature. The staple diet is insects, especially termites and winged ants which emerge at dawn and dusk. It also rakes the ground in search for invertebrates and seeds.</blockquote>
                          [quote]

Jungle fowl’s diet consists mainly of insects (ants, beetles, termites and flies), crustaceans (leeches, snails) and also plants as well as fruits. These are good sources of proteins and will be utilized efficiently by the jungle fowl.</blockquote>

Just because they can eat wild seeds as dessert after they get done eating a bunch of bugs and snails doesn&#39;t mean they are meant to fed on 100% corn and soy, neither of which they ever consumed before. C&#39;mon, work with me here, at least try to apply the same logic behind the primal blueprint instead of being the resident forum apologist for every unhealthy, non-primal thing anyone on the forum brings up. That&#39;s an awful big 20% you&#39;ve got there, OTB.

Natural eggs have an O6:O3 ratio of 4:1, factory eggs have a ratio of 18:1. If you&#39;d like to know more, you can read about this assay of eggs (my egg guy was one of the six farms tested): http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-...hier-Eggs.aspx

Comment

Nick, I don&#39;t think we are disagreeing on anything here except perhaps as percentages of natural diet vs. forced diet. At least they are fully developed to eat seeds, whether wild grasses or crushed corn. We aren&#39;t.

I would far prefer all hens be fed appropriate animal proteins. Surely it can&#39;t be that hard to raise cockroaches for them....oops, I mean "Palmetto bugs."

Comment

if you can&#39;t afford something related to food, then how the hell you can have fun eg. party? I wouldn&#39;t buy organic eggs if food would have fill almost all my budget

I will be normal. I will be NORMAL again
                              Yeah!

Comment

Can someone give me a quick answer:

How bad are the regular eggs found at the supermarket? The really cheap ones? I know they aren&#39;t as tasty and as nutritious, but are they actually dangerous? I might have to get a dozen this week for the time being. But if you tell me I am better off with no eggs at all, I&#39;ll listen!

Comment

Working...
                                X