My Lab Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your triglycerides and HDL are great.

It looks like the only numbers that are "bad" are LDL and total - but you know your LDL is the benign kind. Time to change doctors?

Comment

Actually, my doctor knows my diet and understands my feelings on it. He won't push me to change anything or take statins. However, he must follow medical standard and make those recommendations. I trust he is doing what he thinks is right.

Comment

Originally posted by DianeThePurple View Post
        Your triglycerides and HDL are great.

It looks like the only numbers that are "bad" are LDL and total - but you know your LDL is the benign kind. Time to change doctors?
        Are you joking?

You really distrust medical science so much that even when it comes to your own health you'd recommend "changing doctors" rather than accepting the fact that his numbers have become progressively worse on this diet?

John: out of curiosity, do you have a high saturated fat intake in your diet, and what was your saturated fat intake like before on your CW diet?

I will be posting my blood tests shortly. Hopefully someone can help me understand them.

Comment

My saturated fat intake on my CW diet was very low. I ate only chicken breast, lean meats, rarely eggs or just egg whites, little to no pork, etc. I ate a lot of whole grains, veggies and fruits. I consumed low fat dairy and cheeses. So yes, this was a dramatic change for me, with the only negative being my lab results. Otherwise, my joints feel much better, no gut issues including acid reflux or heart burn and my BP actually improved from what were already really good numbers.

Comment

So does that mean your saturated fat intake did jump considerably?

Would you be open to substituting a considerable amount of your saturated fats for unsaturated fats (nuts, avocados, oily fish, etc.) for a couple of months and then getting another blood test? Just for the sake of experimentation (not to mention your own health)?

Personally I was almost convinced regarding the "healthiness" of saturated fats. I've seen a few things recently, your lab results being one of them, that have made me take a double take. I'm really sitting on the fence on this one, and personally I think I'm going to err on the side of caution and aim for mostly unsaturated fats.

I realise that this is mainstream medically accepted science I'm talking about, and that doesn't go down too well around here, but it might be worth a try. Maybe those doctors actually know a thing or two?

Comment

Or maybe they put too much stock in cholesterol levels. John has the protective type of LDL, which means although his LDL is high, it is not dangerous.
              Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Yes, my saturated fat intake has increased considerably. Here is an example of a typical days food:

2 Tablespoons heavy cream in my two cups of coffee in the morning. (one in each)
                4-6 whole eggs
                2 slices bacon
                Broccoli and cauliflower - 2 cups

Large piece of dark meat chicken with skin, or large piece of beef or pork(usually the fatty cuts)
                1-2 ounces of cheese
                More veggies

Blueberry smoothie 3-4 nights per week which consists of 3-4 Tablespoons heavy cream, 2 tablespoons nut butter, 1 cup frozen blueberries, some cocoa and on occasion some whey protein.

That's pretty typical, and usually about 60% fat, most of it being saturated, and between 1800-2200 calories. Carbs are usually under 100, typically closer to 50 per day. I do take 6 DHA-500 fish oil pills each day.

I am really not sure what to do or believe. There is the one side that says cholesterol doesn't matter and neither does eating saturated fats. Then there's the other side, mainly CW and doctors, that also concerns me.

Comment

So, what is the negative side if I switch my fats to mainly unsaturated such as nuts, nut oils, flax oils, etc? What is a good alternative? I know I don't have to eliminate the saturated fats altogether, but how do I replace them?

Comment

Mate to be perfectly honest, I'd be listening to the doctors over a bunch of anonymous guys on the Internet, mostly struggling with their own weight problems. Doctors aren't dummies. They've been studying medical science much longer than Taubes & co. and I don't believe there's some sort of global hoax going on trying to make people unhealthy by encouraging them to eat unsaturated fats and vegetables.

That much all being said, there is some convincing research that says saturated fats really don't matter. Personally, I'm sitting on the fence. I'm truly agnostic on the issue. I don't know what to believe. So I'm going to err on the side of caution.

Comment

That's just it, I don't know what to replace the saturated fats with. If I go to nuts, then the Omega 6 is too high. What will that do? Flaxseed oil is supposed to be high in Omega 3's and low in saturated fat, but supposedly there is a prostate cancer risk.

I could replace some fat calories with higher protein and carbs, but I am sure there is a negative side to that as well. You can't win! haha

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
                        Actually, my doctor knows my diet and understands my feelings on it. He won't push me to change anything or take statins. However, he must follow medical standard and make those recommendations. I trust he is doing what he thinks is right.
                        Has he indicated, in anyway, if he's making these recommendations based just on current medical standards, but finds the idea of "fluffy" and benign LDL, and saturated fat as healthy - compelling? I'm just wondering if the medical community is moving in this direction, at all.

Comment

John, did some reading on replacement of aortic valve - very interesting. Was yours congenital or did you have rheumatic fever. I also read you need the coumardin because of the mechanical valve and the risk of clots.

Comment

No, he consults with cardiologists he knows, and they all concur that my cholesterol overall is too high, regardless of the type. He has recommended that I change back to my old diet or take statins, which is in line with what his cardiologists have recommended.

Comment

Is Saturated Fat Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
                              This is Mark's take on it.
                              Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
                                John, did some reading on replacement of aortic valve - very interesting. Was yours congenital or did you have rheumatic fever. I also read you need the coumardin because of the mechanical valve and the risk of clots.
                                Good memory Sue. Yes, I have an artificial aortic valve. I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve which is susceptible to infections. When I was 32, I got an infection after a dental cleaning. It took 6 weeks for the doctors to figure out what was wrong, and by that point the valve was destroyed. The next year after the infection was cleared, I had open heart surgery to replace it. Since my valve is artificial, I must take Coumadin (blood thinner) for the rest of my life.

Comment

Working...
                                X