Menstruation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Menstruation

The forum that has carried on a snicker-free conversation on the female form surely can handle this question too:

Have any of you who get periods noticed any chance in their frequency?

I'm rather thrilled that after menstruating somewhat irregularly (every 30-39 days) in the last two years, I'm now back to 28. (I'm in my early mid 30s. I've eaten mostly about 1500 cal daily on average, and moved moderately plus did yoga, biking, and weight lifting in the last month.) Wonder if anyone else's flow has been affected by the lifestyle change.

My cycles have always been regular but they would be accompanied by severe cramps and sometime nausea, but after going Primal, I haven't had those symptoms. Also, I'd get really weepy, no more of that now.

Comment

Fascinating you'd mention that.

I just got my period this morning. Normally by now I'd need an IV of Ibuprofen. But I'm sitting Advil-free so far, with relatively minor pain.

Comment

I must add that after being primal for 2 weeks, I had to go non-primal when I was in India in June. Had the worst cramps ever then!

Comment

Wow, Maba. Let's keep track of this thing. I haven't seen much written on it.

Comment

lower sugar intake in the diet result in fewer cramping pains and nausea.

also as you grow older your body changes and its very normal even without much of a diet change (unless of course your going "ana" or something similar which is a drastic diet change) for your cycles to change as you grow older. most women find as they mature their flow becomes heavier and their cycles more frequent, before easing back out again into menopause.

Comment

The first time I experienced pain-free period was when I was on the first phase of South Beach Diet (no sugar, fruit, grain, potato). When I introduced the grains in the second phase, I had slight cramps but nothing severe, but my weight also went up despite following the diet to the T and that's when I wondered if carb intake had anything to do with it and prompted me to look for low-carb diets on the i/n and that's when I discovered MDA and as they say, the rest is history.

Comment

Wow, really. I know it may seem trivial, but your account and my experience are a source of great elation.

Comment

(The boy has his hand up.)

I was going through some bad joint pain recently and reluctantly did some Naproxen. (sp?)

I mentioned this to my sister and she said that Naproxen/Alleve is now used for menstrual cramps. Seems that the involuntary muscle that is the uterus is just like any other involuntary muscle and Naproxen relaxes it.

OK, carry on.......

Comment

I have noticed that my cramps have also diminished. I only have a dull ache on the day my cycle starts. I used to have cramps starting the day before and one or two days after starting. Another very positive side affect of the PB Lifestyle.

Comment

That's been my experience, too, Christina. Usually, the cramps started a couple of days before. This time, the dull ache started right when the flow did.

Having said all I did above, I have to report that I did succumb to Advil eventually. The ache was much less than usual, but then a wave hit badly. I waited it out for 30 minutes, and when it didn't leave, I just reached for the medicine cabinet. But I hope I won't have to medicate myself for all 3 days as is normally the case. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted with my little TMI. :-)

Comment

In regards to low-carb diets and menstrual regularity...

Many women with PCOS (such as myself) experience irregular or missing cycles due to hormonal imbalances caused by ovarian cysts. One of the causes of the ovarian cysts is insulin resistance, due to a high-carb/low-fat diet that mucks up the endocrine system. I've remedied my PCOS by adopting the Paleo diet.

I've always though that while maybe not every woman who eats a high-carb/low-fat diet will have ovarian cysts, their hormones may still be affected by a poor diet. I mean, I know women who have killer PMS, killer cramps, and they eat ice cream for dinner to "make themselves feel better." Yeah, good luck with that.

Comment

I'm on a BC that keeps me from having a period at all because of the PCOS and PMDD (the depression that can be worse than PMS). I have noticed that my reactive hypoglycemia has disappeared (unless I cheat, of course) but now I get it worse. Ironically, the fact that my hypoglycemia is worse actually indicates that my insulin resistance is getting better. So, no more cheating, and I'll hope that when I return to a less medicated existence, my cycle won't be so bad. If it was normal PMS I could probably handle it.... I wouldn't know though since I've never had it less bad!

"The rose petal floats on water. The kingfisher flashes above the pond. Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

-al'Lan Mandragoran
                          "The Eye of the World" by Robert Jordan

Visit my blog: http://www.antihousewife.com/

Comment

When i was fatter (180 lbs.+ @ 5'1"), i used to get my period a few times a year. Once i lost some weight they became very regular for the first time in years. I haven't failed to get one within a few days of it's "due date" in over a year. I mostly rollerblade and do bodyweight exercises (used to not do anything besides my job, which is a stocking position in a supermarket). My diet isn't exactly primal, but it's heading in that direction. Most days i'm not too much over 150 carbs (which i know i beyond the pale awful for some of you). Having started out doing WeightWatches which b***h-slaps you for eating fats, i've improved a lot. I was eating about 1500 calories a day, too, when i was trying to lose weight. But anyway, yeah a healthier lifestyle seems to have fixed my menstrual irregularity (and made my periods a lot shorter and lighter and given me a lot less PMS issues, too).

Comment

Oh to be a women. Most the time it's all 'honkey dori' some of the time it's the pits. But being informed is the key~health inside and out.

Comment

Working...
                              X