Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is raw meat more primal than cooked meat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't you hate it when you crunch a squirrel's rib between your teeth when you bite into its flesh? Sends shivers down my spine. Blah.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
      ... but liver is a bit hard to wrap my brain around. Maybe I'll snag a bit before I make stew. I'll admit, I'm nervous- lol.
      You can get parasites in it. It's happened to the odd holidaymaker offered raw liver in the Middle East after attending a tribal slaughter as a spectacle and accepting some. I tend to eat some liver every week or two, but I confess I've never had it raw.

AFAICT, liver seems often to have been eaten raw by tribespeople, even though they might usually have cooked other cuts. Some still do that - the Tuvans in Siberia, for example, as Bear Grylls demonstrates here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaYoYM8_rYY

FWIW, I'd sooner chance that of a wild Siberian yak than that of a Middle Eastern goat. But according to Nourishing Traditions the U.S. food safety people say that if you freeze raw liver for 14 days, that's enough to kill any parasites.

I think the liver concentrates you get are raw - what bodybuilders use, and what that damn fool Shaw had to eat when recovering from deficiency-disease caused by vegetarianism. Always on the foolish or wrong side of every question of the day Shaw - although his music criticism is apparently of a very high quality, most of the rest of his writings is worth the dust it's now gathering.

Comment

Originally posted by Donk View Post
        Yeah Ive read that book recently but I was thinking that humans are the only creatures that cook their food and do other animals do?

These are the points Id like to debate.

*Heating destroys protein chains

*Heating makes fats rancid

*Heating destroys vitamin b12

So what to people do about this? Do people take a b12 supp?
        *Egg protein is more available cooked.

*Antioxidants protect fats from going rancid. Saturated and monousaturated fats are quite stable so can handle some heat.

*Raw egg yolk and any rare/med rare meat will give you B12.

So what do you do to get your B12? Eat your feces like gorillas or supplement?

P.S. Give cooked food to an animal and I bet they would eat it. They still recognise it as food. Cooking helped us become what we are today and so did meat, you can't really argue with that.
        Last edited by muaythaimike; 09-06-2010, 02:53 PM.
        "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Comment

done
          Last edited by cabeman; 09-12-2010, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Cabeman; Glad to see you found a computer. Haven't seen you around for awhile. Are you back in town?
            Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Working...
            X