Sausages?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sausages?

Are chicken sausages primal? I just went to Costco and we bought a whole pack of sun dried tomato chicken sausage links. ??
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

except for the sugar (probably minimal) and preservatives, sure...

Comment

well look at the ingredients. whole foods and tj's have some decent ones (no preservatives,sugar) never really liked sausage though:-( maybe it's the casing? oh well, enjoy!!
      Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

I would consider them a "sort of" processed food, but that's not to say I have not enjoyed them on occassion. With stuff like that, I always seek out organic ones if I can find them, that way I feel less guilty for eating them!

Comment

Just a hunch, but I bet the Costco sausages are about as, well, processed and mass market as you can get. Doesn't mean they're that bad, just likely not what one can find at TJ's or Whole Foods.

Comment

The only reason some sausages are labelled "gluten free" is that most of the rest have wheat in them as a binding agent. At least they do where I live
            Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Chicken, especially from costco, is fed grains/soy. It's fatty acid ratio is not ideal, so if I were to get conventional meats, I'd stick to ruminants. I stick to ruminants regardless. You could probably do worse, but not a great choice.

Comment

Most commercial sausages will be made with a filler/binder agent, typically breadcrumbs. Skins are normally synthetic. Gluten free just means another binder something like rice flour (?).

Try making your own skinless sausages aka meatballs if you can just use eggs as the binder

We had these last night 750g ground beef, parsley, rosemary, finely chopped onion, 1/2 grated carrot and a couple of eggs. Mix together with hands then shape into balls or sausages and bake in the oven on a tray with coconut oil for 20-30mins. While baking I made up zucchini, spinach,silver beet, onion and tomato sauce along with mashed cauliflower. Even the kids ate the lot...

cheers FBF
                "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

Comment

I make 'Grok sausage'. I know an organic butcher and get him to save me some small intestines from pigs and I squash in heaps of fat and fill the gaps with coconut oil and then fry them up.

Good hit of fat and tastes great. Just have some stevia in water if you feel like something sweet afterwards. I wouldnt buy anything from costco cos last time I checked they didnt have any organic animals in the meat section for sale.

Comment

I make 'Grok sausage'. I know an organic butcher and get him to save me some small intestines from pigs and I squash in heaps of fat and fill the gaps with coconut oil and then fry them up.

Good hit of fat and tastes great. Just have some stevia in water if you feel like something sweet afterwards. I wouldnt buy anything from costco cos last time I checked they didnt have any organic animals in the meat section for sale.

If in doubt if its PB kosher, just ask 'what would Grok do?' If you wouldnt find it in nature, dont eat it.

Comment

The most primal thing is to eat every digestible part of the animal.
                      If ground meat contains parts I wouln't normally eat by themselves, good!
                      Like most in the thread I worry about the additional stuff.

Comment

I so want a meat grinder so I can make my own sausage. I was able to get some Italian pork sausage made by the butcher at our commissary, it looks like pretty primal ingredients.
                        Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat
                          Ignore the vegan raw foodist troll (Donk and Durianrider)

Don't let them suck up your time guys. Add them to your ignore list and move along.

Add to ignore by clicking on their names in any of their posts. On the profile page, one of the options (along with pm or send email) is IGNORE THIS USER.
                          Thanks! That's a relief.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Cree View Post
                            Thanks! That's a relief.

There are more as well.

Won't we all be sad to see them go on Tuesday? lol
                            Last edited by cillakat; 09-07-2010, 02:58 PM. Reason: unfair accusation

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

i wondered why there are so many people complaining that pb isn't working. thanks cillakat;-)
                              Last edited by shannon; 09-06-2010, 01:43 PM.
                              Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

Working...
                              X