32 days in and close to bailing out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32 days in and close to bailing out

4 weeks 3 days in and I'm still in the carb flu stage, if that is what it is. I have no idea if there's something else going on, although I had some bloodwork done for a physical the other week and it was all normal.

My wife is through it and feeling better, but I have some ok days, some bad days and some terrible days. There seems to be no logic, each time I think I'm coming through it I feel bad the following day.

Has anybody experienced it going on this long before?

I've been fairly good with my diet. Not eaten any bread, pasta, confectionery/candy, rice or grains. Had potatoes once on a celebratory meal out.

We're not eating all grass fed beef as we can't afford it, but all our mince is gf and we have bought some gf steaks. Eating a lot of really good quality bacon and free range organic eggs though.

For the first 3 weeks I had no dairy and I have introduced some butter from an organic far, and a little bit of cream and cheese, but no milk as that doesn't like me.

I'm not eating much fruit other than tomatoes, although I am having a few strawberries here and there and having the very occasional glass of OJ (about twice per week).

Having said that I have been having a green smoothie for breakfast mixed with a high quality cod liver oil and Green Vibrance - that is packed with nutrients and according to 2 independent alternative health experts I've spoken to about the best supplement money can buy. Maybe this is a mistake?

I'm pretty sure I'm getting enough animal fat and I'm exercising regularly with a lower intensity workout than I was doing before.

Sleep is all over the place and struggling to nap when I am tired.

I'm so disappointed because I was pumped about this and I'm really thinking of quitting because I cannot go on like this indefinitely.

Any ideas on things I can change gratefully received.
    Self Development For People With A Sense Of Humor

Fitday. You may just not be eating enough calories, or the wrong types of calories. That said, I haven't personally experienced "boundless energy" or anything of the sort while eating this way. I frequently drag unless I make certain I'm eating enough carbs.

Comment

+1 on tracking your food for a while. that sounds like an awfully long time to be in carb flu, and from what you've listed as your diet, it seems like you've been at this for years.
      are you taking any supplements at all? fish oil, vit. D, acidophilus? it's possible that--along with calories, perhaps--you're just missing something. it might take you a little while to figure out what that is, but don't give up on the PB just yet. once you start feeling better you will feel better than you ever have
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Post what you are actually eating and then some of us will probably comment.

Comment

I would hate to see you give up. Let us all know some specific meals - ones that are more common and more people will be able to help. You say your sleep is all over the place which is one of the 10 primal blueprint laws - get adequate sleep. Maybe that is the only problem?
          Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

In answer to primalrob, I'm taking cod liver oil each day and the green vibrance stuff that as I said is supposed to be amazing.

Yesterday I had the following

Green smoothie for breakfast and then some almonds mid morning.
            Lunch was cauliflower rice and thai salmon curry with coconut milk from the previous night
            Had some more almonds and maybe half a dozen strawberries in the afternoon
            Transgressed a tad by having some vegetable chips. Ingredients are good but I know this isn't really primal as processing is involved
            Diner was two eggs, two sausages (from Whole Foods, no additives or mixers and pork only skins), some bacon, mushrooms and organic tomatoes.

Moreorless every evening meal involves something from Mark's cookbook unless it's a basic fry up like the one above. Breakfast is mainly eating what is left as my wife is cooking more than we need so we can do this.

I am drinking coffee when I get up with coconut milk and this definitely IS a crutch and I know Mark says only drink it because you enjoy it. Well I do love coffee, but at the moment I honestly don't know how I'd get anything done without it.

I have had a beer a couple of evenings and that is when I feel best. Not sure if this is psychological, the alcohol or maybe even that rush of carbs? It is my 20% part and I'd hate to give that up completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Toad View Post
              I would hate to see you give up. Let us all know some specific meals - ones that are more common and more people will be able to help. You say your sleep is all over the place which is one of the 10 primal blueprint laws - get adequate sleep. Maybe that is the only problem?
              You could well be right. I fully appreciate the importance of sleep to cognitive function etc. I've always been a poor sleeper, even as a teenager amazingly enough! But at the moment it's worse and I'm waking up exhausted, even when I've had 8 hours! I'm sure I'm just not getting quality sleep. I've even thought of asking for a sleep study.

Comment

It took me a full four to five weeks to steady out on PB. Also, as I have been on PB longer, I have less tolerance for beer. You may have to switch to wine. I think Tequila is primal too...

Comment

Originally posted by timbrownson View Post
                  You could well be right. I fully appreciate the importance of sleep to cognitive function etc. I've always been a poor sleeper, even as a teenager amazingly enough! But at the moment it's worse and I'm waking up exhausted, even when I've had 8 hours! I'm sure I'm just not getting quality sleep. I've even thought of asking for a sleep study.
                  I started supplementing with magnesium, and since then my sleep has been much better.

Last night I had a 5HTP and ZMA capsule I'd ordered a couple of days previously and was out like a light.

Your food is probably fine!

Comment

It took me a good 6-8 weeks to get past the low-carb flu. I felt exactly as you describe, including the unpredictable schedule of better and worse days.

I concur with the recommendations for magnesium supps and finding ways to improve sleep quantity and quality.

Your meals look pretty good as far as quality; are you eating enough quantity? I eat more than that (unless your portions are huge)! Also, a lot of "green smoothies" are very high carb -- for me, starting the day with one would result in carb crashing and craving for the rest of the day. Have you tried a 4-egg omelette or something else high in fat and protein instead of the smoothie?
                    Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 09-02-2010, 11:36 AM.
                    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

You might try adding in just a bit more carbohydrates, in the form of berries or sweet potatoes. Yes, it can make weight loss slower (if that is what your goal is), but it is worth it if it makes a primal diet more sustainable in the long run.
                      The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Have you tried lowering the carbs? I used to do green smoothies for b-fast all the time, but anymore I cannot handle that much sugar off the bat. I do best with zero carb or pretty close to it for bfast- or else I end up sluggish all day. Just a thought. Magnesium could help as well of course. I like carbs closer to bed as then I sleep better then, so that works for me anyway.
                        Mama to 4, wife to my love

Comment

You have sleep problems and you still want your coffee? Seriously this made a *huge* difference for me. Doesn't for everyone, but if you are having major problems it is really worth thinking about a 30 day decaf.

Comment

Originally posted by timbrownson View Post
                            In answer to primalrob, I'm taking cod liver oil each day and the green vibrance stuff that as I said is supposed to be amazing.

Yesterday I had the following

Green smoothie for breakfast and then some almonds mid morning etc"

Lunch was cauliflower rice and thai salmon curry with coconut milk from the previous night
                            Had some more almonds and maybe half a dozen strawberries in the afternoon
                            Transgressed a tad by having some vegetable chips. Ingredients are good but I know this isn't really primal as processing is involved
                            Diner was two eggs, two sausages (from Whole Foods, no additives or mixers and pork only skins), some bacon, mushrooms and organic tomatoes.

Moreorless every evening meal involves something from Mark's cookbook unless it's a basic fry up like the one above. Breakfast is mainly eating what is left as my wife is cooking more than we need so we can do this.

I am drinking coffee when I get up with coconut milk and this definitely IS a crutch and I know Mark says only drink it because you enjoy it. Well I do love coffee, but at the moment I honestly don't know how I'd get anything done without it.

I have had a beer a couple of evenings and that is when I feel best. Not sure if this is psychological, the alcohol or maybe even that rush of carbs? It is my 20% part and I'd hate to give that up completely.
                            Well I could NOT survive on your breakfast. I have 2 sausages, 1 egg, heap of spinach and about 5 grilled cherry tomatoes, pat of butter on SPinach. Or liver in place of the sausages.

Lunch - chicken or salmon or prawns, heap of salad. ~Possibly berries and heavy cream.

Dinner, one of pork, or beef, or chicken, or salmon - about 6 oz of any one, with at least two different veg, lots of each, and some roast sweet potato if I've been feeling at all "frail". All cooked in animal fat, butter or coconut oil.

Comes to between 2000 / 2600 calories per day, of which between 70 / 120 usually is carbs.

Less calories than that and I just feel washed up, cold and unable to function.

Comment

Originally posted by soror View Post
                              Have you tried lowering the carbs? I used to do green smoothies for b-fast all the time, but anymore I cannot handle that much sugar off the bat. I do best with zero carb or pretty close to it for bfast- or else I end up sluggish all day. Just a thought. Magnesium could help as well of course. I like carbs closer to bed as then I sleep better then, so that works for me anyway.
                              +1 Could be the smoothie being too high in carbs, getting you off on the wrong foot with a carb hangover for the rest of the day. The cod liver oil you add probably helps with making it not so glycemic though. I agree with the others suggesting whole food with fat and protein for breakfast instead. Or you could try skipping it altogether in leangains IF fashion. I've been taking ZMA at night too, and the magnesium really helps provide solid sleep (and I still drink several cups of coffee daily). Maybe up your Vitamin D intake? Might be prudent to get that checked.
                              Last edited by Steve-in-MN; 09-02-2010, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X