No announcement yet.

32 days in and close to bailing out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did a low carb, tons of veggies and protein diet for 4 weeks before going 100% primal. It took me about all of those 4 weeks to detox, I had headaches, sore throat, exhaustion, etc. But once I got thru all that I feel awesome! Depending on how bad you ate before hand it can take a while to get all the nasties out of your system.

Comment

is it possible you have sleep apnoea?

Comment

Eat more. I know you said you eat mountains and gave two examples... but your first description of food intake made it seem like you were eating like a bird. Sorry for sounding blunt, just my .02

Comment

@Susie, no I haven't got sleep apnea, it was something that crossed my mind though.

@workinhand Trust me I eat enough, I out eat almost everybody I know. This lunch time I ate 95% of an entire chicken and I can easily eat half a pound of bacon with eggs and sausages.

I think this is just payback for 40 years of thinking i was a carb storage warehouse.
          Self Development For People With A Sense Of Humor

Comment

Personally I would try a few days upping your carbs by having a berry smoothie, or a couple handfuls of berries everyday. I know that personally on less than 50g of carb a day I don't feel good (but I'm quite active).

Comment

Well, if I was going to up my carbs then I wouldn't do it for b-fast though. However, we all base our opinion on our own experience. I think a big bunch of carbs w/ so little protein is a bad way to start the day, but at the end of the day it might be good. Hopefully, you find out what works for you though as we all have to do our own experimentation.
              Mama to 4, wife to my love

Comment

Hey Tim,

I must say this is a fantastic thread. I have enjoyed reading everyones posts!

I would personally work on sleep. Do you wake up a lot during the night? You say you get 8 hours but quality is much more important then quantity. I have luckily always slept like a baby but during the first month of me going primal I started to wake up around 6 am (peak of the summertime so the sun caused this) and ended up with about 7 hours of sleep - sometimes less. Nonetheless I had boundless energy - even more then when I got 8 to 8.5 hours of sleep a night.

You say you have a green smoothie in the morning - what exactly do you put in these green smoothies?

I am a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE fan of green smoothies but most of the time mine are pretty low carb. I add a piece of fruit but I also enjoy 1/4 to 1/2 avocado, coconut, raw egg yolk, cacao powder and nibs, macadamia nut butter, etc. And of course greens - usually spinach. I wouldn't give up on the green smoothies just yet unless you want to. Let me know what your typical smoothie contains as again I am a huge fan but have been primal for 5 months.

Here is a low carb recipe:

1/4 C Coconut Milk
                1/2 Avocado
                1/4 C Water
                1/4 C Pineapple Chunks
                1 C Spinach
                Top with Ice

I have over 20 primal recipes at my blog: http://www.primaltoad.com/primal-gre...othie-recipes/
                Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Toad I think that is a great recipe- I love green smoothies as well but even doing one with even less sugar than that- using just a bit of coco milk, sm amt. berries and spinach it makes me feel ill to start the day like that. Before I did green smoothies for bfast oh, for a couple of years but I am more sensitive to sugar now in the am especially and it makes my foggy headed and slow all day. As, I said though I think we are all individual and obviously was it is optimal for one person isn't for another. Therefore the varying amount of carb intake around here.
                  Mama to 4, wife to my love

Comment

I'd drop the oj.

Comment

I would give it some more time, work on the sleep. Go very low carb (you are not very low carb) for several days, see if that works. Change things up in other ways. Give up grains entirely for a while. The thing is, everyone is different and that's why you are getting conflicting advice. I find that as long as I stay strictly away from the bread and do the rest of it more-or-less I feel great and keep getting healthier, but obviously that's not everyones experience.
                      BTW, do you exercise often? play around with eating fruits and whatnot before exercise.
                      Personally, I very often like a zero carb breakfast, staying in no-carb mode from previous night's dinner to next day's lunch or dinner. Today I'll have country ham / eggs with some farmer's cheese and homemade creme fraiche. Gotta go, protein calls.
                      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

My advice would be to stick with it. Keep eating Primal, maybe make some of the dietary adjustments people have mentioned - but above all don't give up. I felt rotten and zombie-like for at least a month. Then I started feeling 'normal' again after that, and only after that have I started getting the energy benefits, but they are well worth waiting for. I tried a paleo diet about two years back (hadn't found this place then) and I had no idea what carb flu was, I just thought after two weeks of torment that the diet clearly wasn't working for me, and I went back to a CW diet. Really wish I'd stuck with it back then, so I wouldn't want you to pack it in as well.
                        The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
                        Blog
                        sigpic

Comment

Hi i'm shell,from the uk. I've been following primal for a few weeks now and feel the same as Tim! Absolutely shattered ,sleep,whats that? 4hrs tops at the moment ,before i went primal 6-7hrs ,whats that all about??;( I'm doing all the exercising ,i'm doing the eating,i'm putting on weight?????? I' too are very deflated ,weight on???? This new way of living was going to give me everything i have always wanted,new body,more energy,better fitness...guttered at the minute. Am i asking too much too soon? I dont drink alcohol,stopped about 3months ago. Alternate everyday with smoothie & fryups for breakfast.Snack on nuts & fresh coconut.Lunches cottage cheese,berries.mMain meal tuna or chicken or home made burgers all with salad stuff & tomatoes,sometimes with roast pepper & sweet potato.....what am i doing wrong?........Can anyone help?????many thanks

Comment

Agree with BarbeyGirl. Get a good high protein breakfast with enough fat and just a tad of carbs. That will get you on the right path for the day. It will get your metabolism fired up.

Comment

are you taking a quality multi-vitamin???
                              +1 on the magnesium supplement. A 1/2 teaspoon of high quality unrefined sea-salt does the same trick and provides plenty of other minerals
                              "The power that made the body HEALS the body" - B.J. Palmer

Comment

Plus one onthe salt

I use 1/2 teaspoon of himalayan crystal salt (natural and unrefined) in 1lt of water and drink a couple of litres a day, it has 0.32mg of magnesium per1/2 teaspoon, not sure if thats RD dose or not.. also has a heap of other minerals and trace elements.
                                "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

Comment

Working...
                                X