Insulin - adds fat or adds muscle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This book is explains well

I was at Borders and found "Body By Science" by Doug McGuff and John Little. It was helpful in explaining how insulin can send nutrients to fat storage or muscle storage. I'm going to have to either buy or borrow "Body By Science" to read the rest of the book, and to re-read that section on insulin. Also, I read a section from "The Anabolic Solution" by Mauro DiPasquale that does a good job of explaining.

I'm not saying that I understand all of it, but I'm starting to wrap my head around using my body's insulin production to my advantage.

--rxc

Comment

My cousin reversed his type 2 diabeties reading the book 'reversing diabeties' by Dr Barnard. Apparently is a high carb, low fat vegan diet so I dont want any part of that, but I guess if I had diabeties I would probably consider giving up my steak addiction!

Be careful Barefoot as diabetes is a serious condition and I think its best left to the people like Dr Barnard to answer these sort of questions. Last thing we want is a dead forum member!

Comment

This insulin/diabetes link might be of use as its written by a qualified Doctor.
        http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_diabetes.html

Comment

body builders use insulin increasing foods (maltodextrin for instance as well as the ones we know) to incite an insulin spike to assist in muscle repair...those little tears from a good workout.

Comment

Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
            so where does fat play into this?
            Dietary fat blunts the insulin response to carbs or protein.
            BBers want pure protein and easily digestible carb.
            Diabetics/syndrome Xers should include fat with all meals and snacks.

On the other end higher levels of insulin make it easier to store fat.

Comment

This product has worked for me with blood sugar levels.
              http://primalblueprint.com/products/...r-Formula.html

Comment

Its hard to build much mass when we are not eating much fat to help insulin release. You will NEVER see a super shredded champion body builder all year round cos they know the importance of high body fat for testosterone production. Look at the strongest men on earth, they are all 'fat' vs shredded. Thats what Im currently training for. Ruthless power and mass!

I got this off another thread about insulin on this forum.
                A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (vol. 66, p. 1264, 1997) by the department of biochemistry at the University of Sydney, Australia, found that beef raised insulin levels more than white pasta and that fish raised them more than whole-grain bread. When compared with rises in glucose levels, beef raised insulin levels 27 times higher than brown rice did!

But thats what the carb pushers want us to fear-insulin but some bodybuilders shoot up insulin to help promote fat/amino acid retention for mass gains. So thats a side benefit of eating a high fat diet aka PB diet. You get your insulin spike for free and along comes muscle in the post!

So being scared of putting on fat is like saying you dont want any muscle. Thats counter productive. Its all about anabolism.

Comment

ROFL at the beef causing an insulin response greater than white pasta....what a joke. Lets all check our blood glucose levels after eating a steak compared to after eating brown rice.

Of course powerlifters know that to get as strong as you can, you have to have a fat padding for stored nutrients and extra calories. Sure, insulin stores calories into fat or muscle, but try injecting insulin vs testosterone and see which one gives you better results. The reason high carb works for gaining muscle is because, along with caloric surplus, it increases thyroid function. And I'm not talking simple carbs either, that destroy your health..I'm talking veggies, potatoes, yams, starches and milk. Once your body heats up and you start heavy squatting ass to floor, you are in muscle gain territory

Comment

Originally posted by BlazeKING View Post
                    ROFL at the beef causing an insulin response greater than white pasta....what a joke.
                    It's true though: http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/66/5/1264
                    The insulin score of beef is 51, the insulin score of white pasta is only 40. Fish also raises insulin more than "grain bread". It's all on page 1269.
                    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
                    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
                    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
                    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Comment

Originally posted by Mirrorball View Post
                      It's true though: http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/66/5/1264
                      The insulin score of beef is 51, the insulin score of white pasta is only 40. Fish also raises insulin more than "grain bread". It's all on page 1269.

Thanks for that link!
                      “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
                      —Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

This really shows the difference between reading a summary and studying the data.

GLUCOSE response of beef is very low as we knew.
                        The real scientific point of the study is that insulin response doesn't follow glucose fesponse as closely as we might have assumed.
                        Don't be fooled by that grotesque percentage number for beef relative to pasta.
                        That's a technical point that means next to nothing practically.

What we knew:
                        carbs trigget insulin respones
                        proteins trigger insulin respone
                        fat blunts insulin response
                        fiber blunts insulin response

What the study shows:
                        The lowest scores are from fatty protein sources and hi-fiber carbs.
                        The two lowest scores were peanuts and eggs. 2 of the highest fat foods in the study. Peanuts have BOTH of the known moderating factors.
                        The beef is quite lean with well under half the fat of the cheese, eggs or peanuts.
                        Beef insulin response is not actually high, its only higher than some high fiber carbs. Lower than most of the carbs.

What hasn't changed:
                        BBers should eat lean protein and easily digestible carbs to maximize insulin respone.
                        People concerned with hyperinsulinemea should eat fatty proteins and fibery carbs to minimize it.

The other thing not covered in the study but very relevant if applying it to real-life insulin problems is that protein also triggers glucagon release which in some ways moderated the insulin effects. Carbs do not.

Comment

I think it's the BCAAs that promote the highest insulin release...

Weightology actually did a good series on insulin and why it's not the enemy, some people here won't like it, but what the heck:
                          Part 3:
                          http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=536
                          sigpic
                          In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

I found another link that discusses how insulin can add fat or add muscle. The writer is definitely pushing more carbs than most Primals would want, but he emphasizes the timing of the carbs with respect to physical activity.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...on/insulin.htm

--rxc

Comment

Thanks everyone for sharing his comments. But there is a little issue.
                              Some of the shared links are giving me no access to the page. Can you see the problem.
                              I'm curious. regards

Comment

Working...
                              X