Lips are cracking, what am I lacking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lips are cracking, what am I lacking?

Any guesses? particular vitamin deficiency?
    www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Are you dehydrated? You can use coconut oil as a lip moisturizer, works great!
    Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Chapstick!

Comment

I find that my skin (lips included) suffers less from dryness now that I'm keeping my fat intake up around 65-70%. Hydration is another key factor.
        Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Bacon! It's the food that moisturizes your lips while it makes you happy. (Is there anything it can't do?)

Comment

You might not be making enough collagen. Protein + Vitamin C = Collagen

In order to help the body make collagen, you need to consume enough protein in your diet, because proteins are composed of amino acids and although they are not complete proteins, collagens are composed of amino acids. If you don’t get enough of the essential amino acids in yourdiet, the cells of your body will not secrete pro-collagens and the process will never begin.

You also need to be sure to get enough vitamin C in your diet or through supplementation. It is needed as a co-factor for the production of pro-collagen molecules. Without it the fibers will be weak.

Bottom Line: Eat lots of plants and animals.

If you're already eating enough meat, then maybe you're missing the vitamin C component.

Comment

Do you use a petroleum-based lip balm? Those can cause lips to become more chapped in the long term. If so, try something based in olive oil or coconut oil.
              The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Drink more agua.
                Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                My Latest Journal

Comment

Grok didn't use lip balm, so I can;t be bothered either thanks for the ideas (serious and humorous) the vitamin C might be worth a shot, ive been eating loads of veg not alot of fruit though
                  www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

On a primal diet, it's usually one of the b vites (ie from not eating enough organ meats)

Riboflavin deficiency (B2)
                    http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec12/ch154/ch154d.html
                    Symptoms may vary. Painful cracks form in the corners of the mouth and on the lips. The mouth and tongue are sore, and the tongue may turn magenta. Red, greasy, scaly (seborrheic) patches may appear around the nose, between the nose and the lips, on the ears and eyelids, and in the genital area.

or less commonly, iron deficiency
                    angular cheilitis - can also present as just severe intractable peeling
                    Angular cheilitis (also called perlèche[1]:309, cheilosis or angular stomatitis) is an inflammatory lesion at the labial commissure, or corner of the mouth, and often occurs bilaterally. The condition manifests as deep cracks or splits. In severe cases, the splits can bleed when the mouth is opened and shallow ulcers or a crust may form.
                    Its not a C/protein problem if you're eating primally (with produce). There is plenty of C in non-fruit plants.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Yes i'm having the same problem, been primal for about 9 days and my face and lips are extremely dry and I'm extremely thristy all the time, so am drinking heaps of water.
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45312.html[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                        On a primal diet, it's usually one of the b vites (ie from not eating enough organ meats)

Riboflavin deficiency (B2)

or less commonly, iron deficiency
                        In other words, take a multi

For women, I like Rainbow Light Women's Just Once or Natrol My Favorite Multiple Take One and for men, I like Rainbow Light Men's Just Once.

They're cheaper at iherb.com than anyplace else (after factoring in shipping and the other discount iherb has). I ♡ iherb.com

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Originally posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
                          I find that my skin (lips included) suffers less from dryness now that I'm keeping my fat intake up around 65-70%. Hydration is another key factor.
                          This works for me, too.
                          Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                            Its not a C/protein problem if you're eating primally (with produce). There is plenty of C in non-fruit plants.
                            I think you're right, Cillakat. My advice about C/protein is usually more suited to CW eaters, but I threw it out there just in case.

Comment

I was going to say B vitamins as well. Organ meats are good for that(and the iron as well).
                              Mama to 4, wife to my love

Comment

Working...
                              X