MEAT!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote]

The paleo diet doesn&#39;t request that everything you eat is raw. It is very similiar to the primal diet, although it emphasizes leaner-cut meats</blockquote>

Cordain has his views on paleo, but they are shared by everyone. I certainly don&#39;t go for lean cuts of meats. I have eaten paleo for nearly four years and just seem to become more carnivorous over time.

Every meal of mine has meat (if not 100% meat). There is no such thing as too much meat.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

Nick - Do omega-3 enriched foods go hand-in-hand with the supplements? Would you say they&#39;re kind of useless? I saw them at the dollar store, (yes, for literally one dollar,) and felt a little suspicious...I&#39;m a college kid, I can&#39;t afford all of these expensive grass-fed meats consistently so I&#39;m looking for a cheaper, but still healthy, alternative you know?

I should try that bacon and eggs thing. I&#39;m always, always hungry after at least three hours. Do you typically not eat much?

Alright, alright, one more concern..

If I&#39;m eating quite a significant amount of meat and fat, but my carb intake is slightly higher than 150g, (say...180-200g,) but my calories are still in-check, will this result in weight gain and/or worse for me to consume saturated fats? (I believe I&#39;ve heard somebody say that saturated fats are bad when consumed with "too much" carbs...)

On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

1) Look at the label. If it tells you how much docosahexanoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentanoic acid (EPA) are in it, that&#39;s a good start. If alpha linolenic acid is all you can find, that&#39;s better than nothing though. There are quite inexpensive fish oil caps with 684mg of DHA/EPA per capsule at Sam&#39;s Club, if you are going for low price. The fish oil in them is still pharmaceutical grade and free of mercury and PCBs. I think they&#39;re on the order of $8-11 for 300 capsules, and you might take 3 per day to get a reasonable benefit.

2) I generally will eat 2 slices of bacon and 3 or 4 eggs for breakfast. My wife eats more like 1 slice and 2-3 eggs and that&#39;s enough for her, and it&#39;s significantly reduced her cravings.

3) If you&#39;re going to eat carbs, at least stay away from wheat and refined sugar. Try to get your carbs from things like fruit, vegetables, dairy, and tubers. If you are and have been in good shape (from one of your other posts it seems like you are), you are probably fairly carb tolerant and 150-200g isn&#39;t going to cause you any problems as long as you limit the grains and refined sugar. If you&#39;re like me and have spent 15 years screwing up your metabolism, 150g/day could be unacceptable.

Fats do increase the size of the insulin response carbs produce. Eating fibrous carbs, or eating carbs with protein separately from fat and protein may help to better regulate your insulin response. There&#39;s nothing specific about saturated fats that you should be concerned about, just try to avoid overconsuming polyunsaturated fats.

Comment

Working...
        X